Wiki Posts
Search

how long should heats and mains be for 1/8 buggy an truggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
How I (and most people I know who came from an electric background) view electric 8th scale electric is nothing like 8th scale nitro. I don't like comparing the two at all because the reason people race each class is rather different. I'm not running 8th scale because I want to worry about making time. Offroad electric racers as a whole stopped caring about making time when nimh took over and I don't think they really have a desire to worry about that again. 8th E is the 20 lap formula 1 race of offroad rc; not the 24 hour lemans.
That is your view... but it is not everyone's. Some of us are tired of 5 to 7 minute drag races. One of the main attractions of nitro racing is longer run times. We have that now with electric but some people choose to ignore that fact.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
That is your view... but it is not everyone's. Some of us are tired of 5 to 7 minute drag races. One of the main attractions of nitro racing is longer run times. We have that now with electric but some people choose to ignore that fact.
I'm not argueing against longer mains, just mains that are long enough to make the average racer look at their car and either drive slower to make time or spend money to make time.
If you saw my prior posts I have nothing against 10 and 15 minute mains, but made a point to say that if anyone in the club couldn't make time at whatever particular track they are at then the main is too long. 15 minutes on small tracks are no problem for 95% of racers and 10 to 12 outdoors are what I look at as good main lengths. 5-7 minute mains are for the more fragile cars.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
The reality is that the brand specific speed control/electronics threads are heavy with posting traffic, all complaints about electronics failing (Tekin, Castle, etc). The equipment isn't ready for any more than 10 minute mains. While there are a handful of guys that seem to be able to do really long runs, the majority of 1/8th E racers just aren't there yet. If a change to longer mains is made before the equipment is ready, it will kill off interest for the class.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Champion

Out my way, the lame duck racers still find a way to poof even in short races. Too many of the E8s are getting tons of motor thrown in them. With the slower motors I still rarely find myself opening the throttle much. I also see too many cars with the Esc mounted flat to the chassis instead of on a tray isolated from shock.

A properly designed, built, and maintained 1/8th E Buggy can run 20min on our tracks easy. Fro example a E8 with a tekin 1900 and a 4cell 5000mah 30c pack gets about 20. Some racers are starting to push 30min.

So I vote for 20min mains. Don't let the lowest common denominator set the race conditions.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 04-26-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
The reality is that the brand specific speed control/electronics threads are heavy with posting traffic, all complaints about electronics failing (Tekin, Castle, etc). The equipment isn't ready for any more than 10 minute mains. While there are a handful of guys that seem to be able to do really long runs, the majority of 1/8th E racers just aren't there yet. If a change to longer mains is made before the equipment is ready, it will kill off interest for the class.
Main length has nothing to do with the equipment failures. I have been running 15-20 minute mains for the past three years. The failures are more related the overall abuse the ESC takes and I think the mfg's just really haven't spec'd them properly from a build quality standpoint to be able to handle the vibrations of 1/8 scale racing.

I recall constantly having to check temps three years ago to make sure I wasn't running hot. Since the MMM and RX8s came out I rarely ever check my temps. Motors run ice cold and so do the speedos. Hell, I ran a 20 minute main yesterday with a BUGGY motor in my truggy. Motor temped at 130 and I was way over geared for the track. 6s/1400.

I like 15 minute races. Long enough to still have a chance if you make a few bobbles, but not so long it becomes a race of attrition or the field doesn't get too spreadout. The cars are more than capable of running 15.

20 minute mains starts getting iffy for the vast majority and the battery weight definitely starts to show up.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

It is up to the experienced racers to help the less experienced racers reach the level/duration that you want to race. The "average joe", is the majority here, alienate them and you're racing by yourself (or at least with the nitro guys again) before long.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

It is up to the experienced racers to help the less experienced racers reach the level/duration that you want to race. The "average joe", is the majority here, alienate them and you're racing by yourself (or at least with the nitro guys again) before long.
this is true. at our track we only have a few people that have been doing E8's for a while now. the other 90% of racers are fairly new the E8's, including myself. you cant just through a newbie out into a 30 min main and expect them to make it the whole way. but you can have 7 min mains just because of the newbies. thats why i think 15-20min should be the standard. not everyone is a pro like tebo, caverlari, and mayfield.(I like to think i am sometimes)
Old 04-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Exactly!!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

15 or run nitro