Search

XXX-4 slipper rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
Any idea on pinion?

Or more appropriately, what pinion would ya'll run with that old Novak motor?

I know it's not the greatest motor (I used to run it in 1/12th onroad) but I've never had a lick of trouble with it and figured I'd just use it in this XXX-4 to mess around at the indoor clay track out here (I primarily run 1/8th nitro).
I dont remember what turn that motor is off hand.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...tem/index.html

8.5 according to that.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Maybe try a 20 tooth pinion.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Okay sweet, I ordered a couple of different sizes, I'll give'em all a dry after I rebuild the slipper.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Champion

the best thing to do is if it heats up fast gear down and if it runs cold gear up is my way of gearing motors etc.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
Hey all, apologies for the noob question, but I picked up a used XXX-4 off of the 'Bay and the car appears to be in great shape but the slipper looks to be trashed, regardless of how much I tighten it, it still slips for the first 30' or so on throttle, so I'm guessing it's just trashed.
I picked up a used XXX4 on eBay right after I got my G-Plus kit, and the slipper seems to be the only thing worn out on it. The pucks are almost flush with the gear face. Looks like I'll be ordering a slipper rebuild kit.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

I have a XXX-$ G+ as well. I was running a Mamba Max 5700 in it, and the slipper, even after a re-build, and sanding the plates, just could not hold the torque, yet the car seemed to have traction to spare, so I wanted it tighter. What I finally ended up doing was making new pucks out os a material with more friction. It was a major PITA but I got it to work. I had a set of the old Losi yellow slipper rings from the dual disk slipper off my XXX-T. I used a hole punch that was just a hair smaller thean the pucks and popped out a whole mess of little discs of the friction material. They are too thin, so I had to stack 3 in each hole of the spur gear. This did the trick, I still run it with the spring virtually bottomed out, but it now can hold enough torque to where I can spin all 4 tires with the MM 5700 setup. OF course, once I got the slipper holding, I started skipping the belt, especially under braking. I upgraded to the longer belt and bigger tensioner roller, it is metal and has 2 bearings n it instead of onw. This virtually eliminated belt skip under acceleration, but it would still tick under braking. So I added another ball bearing on a metal bracket that rides on the top of the belt to hold the teeth in the pulley of the slipper assembly. No more belt skip, and I can run a little less tension for reduced drag. This car is an absolute rocket. It has so little drag and spinning mass, it just plain flies.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GSMnow
I have a XXX-$ G+ as well. I was running a Mamba Max 5700 in it, and the slipper, even after a re-build, and sanding the plates, just could not hold the torque, yet the car seemed to have traction to spare, so I wanted it tighter. What I finally ended up doing was making new pucks out os a material with more friction. It was a major PITA but I got it to work. I had a set of the old Losi yellow slipper rings from the dual disk slipper off my XXX-T. I used a hole punch that was just a hair smaller thean the pucks and popped out a whole mess of little discs of the friction material. They are too thin, so I had to stack 3 in each hole of the spur gear. This did the trick, I still run it with the spring virtually bottomed out, but it now can hold enough torque to where I can spin all 4 tires with the MM 5700 setup. OF course, once I got the slipper holding, I started skipping the belt, especially under braking. I upgraded to the longer belt and bigger tensioner roller, it is metal and has 2 bearings n it instead of onw. This virtually eliminated belt skip under acceleration, but it would still tick under braking. So I added another ball bearing on a metal bracket that rides on the top of the belt to hold the teeth in the pulley of the slipper assembly. No more belt skip, and I can run a little less tension for reduced drag. This car is an absolute rocket. It has so little drag and spinning mass, it just plain flies.
Excellent post, thanks for the info!