Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which one Hyper9e, RC8e, 8ighte or Ve8 >

Which one Hyper9e, RC8e, 8ighte or Ve8

Which one Hyper9e, RC8e, 8ighte or Ve8

Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Initiate

I just sold my RC8e it was my first 1/8 scale buggy and I loved it! I still refer to it as the buggy that started it all as i'm now super hooked on this hobby. I highly reccomend the rc8e for beginner drivers as there built like tanks, they handle really well, there easy to work on and most hobby shops seem to carry there parts. I now have a Hyper 9e and a Ve8 and both are awsome buggies! I'd have to say right now I like the Hyper 9e better though as it seems to suit my driving style a little more. Probably an unfair statement because I've had nothing but bad luck with the electronics in my Ve8 so I don't have nearly as much drive time with it. But with the little bit of time I have had with it, it did'nt seem to handle the rough stuff as well as the H9E or the rc8e although it jumps and turns better than anything I've ever driven. When I get my speed control back this week I'll try a different set up and see if it helps. You really can't go wrong with any of these buggies I think it all depends on your driving style and the track you run on and like somebody already said check out what most people are running at your local track that way if you have any questions someone there can help you out which I've found most people at the tracks are more than willing to do. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Losi.

Parts availability is a good reason. It is well laid out and the conversion kit for it (if you don't buy one already set for electric) is cheap and very good.

DON'T buy the one with the xcelorin system already in it. The motor is fine but the speed control is very hit and miss. Mostly miss.

Better to buy a used roller or buy a nitro roller and buy the conversion kit.

After that, you can buy parts on the cheap on ebay every day of the week. There are literally thousands of parts on there from people who part out the cars and sell them on ebay. Some times if you buy at the right time you can get things dirt cheap.

I haven't had one problem with my buggies either. Handle great and durable. The only thing I have had is a bent hinge pin when some moron decided to hit me head on when he was going the wrong way down the track.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great replies!
So after going through everything I am breaking down the following.

In terms of top choices it is a total hodge podge but by car it looks like....

Caster is really starting to catch on but as many people have suggested go with something that has parts available at your LHS so that cuts out Caster.

RC8e has the longevity of being around for many years and parts are a breeze. It was probably many peoples first jump into e buggies but mainly through conversion of the RC8B because the parts are more solid (shocks etc.), Everyone suggests the Tekno conversion.

Ve8 is really hitting mainstream based upon affordability, it does not have problems with fitting the MMM but it does have size restrictions in terms of Lipos. Also the plastic chassis is the achilles heal of this ride. Other than that this buggy is very responsive and rides extremely smoothly.

8ighte is a top contender based on performance ability to get parts and just the fact that everyone refers to it as a tank that has very little breakage issues. Tons of power but the original Xcelorin system can be a pain. My brother and his buddy both bought these, took out the original systems and replaced them with MMM and they rip! Also gets better with time.

Hyper9e nothing bad has been said about this buggy except lack replacement bodies available. Very balanced because of layout and runs great right away. Smooth running and jumps effortlessly. May look at updating arms and a few other parts down the line but majority of included parts are very solid.

I think those are some of the major points which brings the 8ighte and Hyper9 to the top for me but the RC8E keeps pulling me back. I'm hoping that I will learn some things this weekend at the show that will help put one over the other but if someone were to twist my arm and say choose now or die I would probably go Hyper9e because for the 8ighte I would need to buy for more, sell the Xcelorin system and get in the MMM and for the RC8E it sounds much better to go with the full conversion from the RC8B in order to get the best combination.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I think you would be extremely happy with the 9e if you go that route. I really could'nt say one bad thing about the buggy. It's great to drive right out the box although I would reccomend changing the mystery diff fluid it comes with. I run 5-5-3 in mine. As for the Ve8 chassis issue there are a few aluminum chassis alternitives coming out very soon. One in paticular I got to see the prototype first hand and it has to be the first of it's kind in that you can set it up for two 2s lipo's (one on each side of the chassis for a really well balanced ride) or by moving the esc to the other side which took less than 10 minutes you can set it up for a single 4s battery or 5-6s depending on what you run. The designer of the chassis is HH and you can take a look at it on the Ve8 thread on this forum. They should be for purchase withen the next week or so. I'll be first in line.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

I like the JConcepts Illuzion body for Hyper9, requires a little bit of trimming to make it work right, but it looks FAR better than the stock body.

I like my Hyper9e. We have 2 in the family. No real issues so far (after 5 months). Lots of broken arms and such, but no BIG issues.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Initiate

So the J Concepts Hyper 9 body is great and I really like it but it has the nitro engine hole right? They have not made any for electric that I can see.
Can you post a pic of yours?
Thanks,
AJ
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You could also consider the Kyosho MP9-E or MP9 with the E-conversion...Kyosho's 1/8 cars are tanks...they just don't break! Also Norcal carries Kyosho so there's your parts support...but usually Kyosho stuff is a little more expensive. I run the MP777WC with the E-conversion and it's really good...most shops have these parts because it's their older car before the MP9 and you can find hop up parts cheaper because it's an older car. Good luck with your choice!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

No hole in the 5 we've had.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey Seany916,
Are you saying that there is no hole in the body behind the driver's window for the nitro engine and that it needs to be cut out?

If it does not that is awesome, what about the Pro-Line Hyper 9 body>
Sorry for the ignorance.
Thanks,
AJ
Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Initiate

There are no holes in either of those bodies, you would have to cut them out.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

No real experience to offer, but I have a HPI Vorza. Sure it is an RTR, but it comes with the same electronics many end up putting in anyways. The battery tray is very adjustable and can hold just about any battery no problem. The aluminum chassis is strong, not like the Ve8, and you basically are getting a D8 since almost every part is the same. I'm guessing it is a tad heavier than some of the other options, but not by much, and it seems practically indestructable in my hands.

Only thing I've done to mine is add an aluminum servo horn and some skid plates. The stock radio is junk, but I'm sure you planned to use something else anyways.

ben
Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AJCohen
Hey Seany916,
Are you saying that there is no hole in the body behind the driver's window for the nitro engine and that it needs to be cut out?

If it does not that is awesome, what about the Pro-Line Hyper 9 body>
Sorry for the ignorance.
Thanks,
AJ
No holes that I've seen. There is some trimming required for the steering linkages, but no nitro hole.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Initiate

I have been hearing from a few people that the RTR Vorza is starting to pop up and I have heard good things about it also but I would be changing out a few items especially the radio so I don't want to waste the money because I need to get a new radio anyways probably a 3PK or DX3R because I am a left handed driver stuck in a right handed world and those are the two solid radios that can switch the wheel over.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know how much does each of the buggies mentioned above weight?