Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open Short Course Leisure Hours Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Open Short Course Leisure Hours Raceway

I'm new to Open Short Course at Leisure Hours though I've been racing Spec Slash for a year now. My Open is another Slash with the Velineon VXL-3s system in it. Most everything else on the truck is stock or not worth mentioning. I can't seem to get any traction on the track. It feels like when I gun the throttle I'm driving on ice. Am I just too used to the lack of power coming from the Spec Slash? It seems when we start the race all the other guys nail the throttle and go straight. I nail the throttle and do donuts! I have plenty of power to get over the jumps but I can't utilize all the rip out of a corner because I instantly spin out if I nail the throttle. I have the truck setup exactly like my Spec Slash which I do fairly well with. I was TQ in B-main last night in Spec Slash and missed the A-main by 3 seconds. So I'm pretty sure the truck should be setup right... but it handles like crap. Tires? Setup ideas? Anything to help out?

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would talk to the guys winning the short course a-mains, and find out what tires they run. You now have more speed, and need more rear traction. Shift more weight to the rear of the truck, raise the front ride height, place the battery toward the rear, loosen your slipper just a little, try a lighter weight shock oil in the rear shocks to help transfer weight to the rear quicker, or if you are using a radio with expo, you can change the throttle expo to make the throttle input milder. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

unless you are a GREAT driver, you are going to have a hard time hanging with the rest of the mod class running other trucks. Theres just not much room for adjustment on the Slash for mod use. High COG kills it almost entirely, then add the extra power, and Id almost bet you are faster running a stock Slash (lap times at the end of the race). Loosen the slipper, loosen up the rear shocks to add rear traction and run the right tires is about the best you can do. Get some aluminum rear hub carriers so you can have adjustable rear toe for better straight line traction, BUT remember what you gain in straight line, you lose in steering!
Old 03-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

What tires are you running ?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

i wont take much, change your shock oils to 40wt or above, change the springs, change your tires and add camber -2 in the front -2 1/2 in the rear. and nothing beats practice.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

try the proline protrac suspension kit, it makes alot of diff in the slash
Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm running the stock tires as I haven't gotten a definitive answer on what tires are the best for this track. Thanks for all the input so far!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Ken448
unless you are a GREAT driver, you are going to have a hard time hanging with the rest of the mod class running other trucks. Theres just not much room for adjustment on the Slash for mod use. High COG kills it almost entirely, then add the extra power, and Id almost bet you are faster running a stock Slash (lap times at the end of the race). Loosen the slipper, loosen up the rear shocks to add rear traction and run the right tires is about the best you can do. Get some aluminum rear hub carriers so you can have adjustable rear toe for better straight line traction, BUT remember what you gain in straight line, you lose in steering!
I was able to ADD 8-9 seconds per lap by going to Open SC! That's results!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah either talk to the top A-mains guys for tires or ask the guys at the Leisure Hours store, I'm sure they know something seeing as they probably supply the top racers.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jfaust97
I'm running the stock tires as I haven't gotten a definitive answer on what tires are the best for this track. Thanks for all the input so far!
That is one reason , the stock tires suck once going to mod . Most run Proline Bow Ties or Proline Switches in open SCT . I just bought a Blitz to add another class and should be running that soon .
Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Briguy
That is one reason , the stock tires suck once going to mod . Most run Proline Bow Ties or Proline Switches in open SCT . I just bought a Blitz to add another class and should be running that soon .
Looks like there are 2 compounds... Medium and Soft.
Any idea what the preference is for LHR?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Looks like there are 2 compounds... Medium and Soft.
Any idea what the preference is for LHR?
I talked to the guys at Leisure Hours Hobbies and they said most guys are running Pro-Line Bowties M3 compound. They also suggested the Pro-Line ProTrac suspension kit and a lower center of gravity chassis kit. I'm thinking about the Xtreme Racing Traxxas Rustler/Slash LCG.

I'll post my results.
Thanks for all the input!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I race at Leisure and I was going to suggest M3 compund BowTies. I have a Mamba/Sidewinder powered Slash and the Bow Ties made all the difference.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by lostinbaja
I race at Leisure and I was going to suggest M3 compund BowTies. I have a Mamba/Sidewinder powered Slash and the Bow Ties made all the difference.
Yep... I went with the Bowtie M3 as well.
I made a ton of mods to the truck since my original post... this was one of them.
I will post photos soon of everything I did.
I switched to Pro-Line ProTrac suspension kit and Xtreme Racing Traxxas Rustler/Slash LCG in addition to backing off the clutch and adding 2 teeth to the pinion gear to tone down the rip.
But I was putting down 10 second faster laps than 2 weeks ago on the same exact track layout.
I wasn't terribly consistent this past Saturday on my Open SC laps... but it felt alot better.
I know 85% of my suckingness is due to the nut behind the wheel.
So a lot more practice and I may actually be competitive in B-Main!?!!?
Here's hoping!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yep... I went with the Bowtie M3 as well.
I made a ton of mods to the truck since my original post... this was one of them.
I will post photos soon of everything I did.
I switched to Pro-Line ProTrac suspension kit and Xtreme Racing Traxxas Rustler/Slash LCG in addition to backing off the clutch and adding 2 teeth to the pinion gear to tone down the rip.
But I was putting down 10 second faster laps than 2 weeks ago on the same exact track layout.
I wasn't terribly consistent this past Saturday on my Open SC laps... but it felt alot better.
I know 85% of my suckingness is due to the nut behind the wheel.
So a lot more practice and I may actually be competitive in B-Main!?!!?
Here's hoping!!!

Look me up at the track .. would be happy to give ya some pointers on what to do.. and if i can't help i will know the people who could ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.