Search

Best Balance - Caster EX1.5R, Ofna Hyper 9e, or HB Ve8

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Best Balance - Caster EX1.5R, Ofna Hyper 9e, or HB Ve8

As I sit here wallowing in my sadness of having no money for a new vehicle, I contemplate what high-end buggy to get if I had the money. Amongst the vast number of choices (there's a LOT of 1/8 buggies), it seems to me that the new Caster EX1.5R, Ofna/Hobao Hyper 9e, and HB Ve8 are the most balanced amongst the current breed of buggies, and they're also similarly priced (if you take the Ve8 with an aftermarket aluminum chassis).

I don't think anyone's had experience with both since the Caster just came out, but I'm curious to know which is better balanced. One has the heaviest items distributed evenly side to side. The other is designed to be able to move the heaviest items as close to centerline as possible. And the third is also pretty well center-massed along the major axis.

The Hyper 9e seems to need a few items to make it reliable:
- Front upper and lower a-arms (updated upper arms need to be purchased, lowers can just be boiled)
- Rear A-arms
- Aluminum shock caps (though I thought the stock was aluminum already)
- Front aluminum chassis brace
- Mud/side guards
And the stock motor mount being a 2pc design seems to make it wear faster if using larger 1512 and 1515-based motors.
This adds to the total cost.

The HB Ve8 with an aftermarket aluminum chassis which will hopefully remedy the issues I don't like about the Ve8 (very limited battery fitment, limited motor shaft and pinion length, somewhat limited motor size) is about the same price as both the Caster and Ofna.

I also like the O'Donnell Z01B and it's on sale right now, and I like the MBX6 also (waiting to see what Mugen USA comes out with for a conversion). I really like the Kyosho MP9e, but bajeezers that's pricey! But I don't think any of these are as well balanced as the 3 mentioned above.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Dont know much about a Caster car, but Hyper 9 is a good car. The HB car is ok I personally had issues with drivetrain wearing out prematurely. The car did however have a good balance to it.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The Caster has excellent durability and is perfectly balanced no mater what batteries you are running. You can run 3200's or 8000 packs and it is still balanced. The Caster also has lots and lots of steering. I have not driven the Hyper or the Ve8, but I have driven a Losi, Rc8, Mp9, 777, Mbx6 and a D8. I feel the Caster has more steering and has a more settled feel. It gives you the impression that you can push the car harder and harder.

All of the cars you mentioned are good quality cars so you will have fun with what ever you pick.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As above, I'll go for the Caster but the others will work too. Caster guys here are ready to offer any advice u might need if u ever need any. I'm in Singapore and still enjoy support from USA.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If your wallet is small then the caster should be your 1st pick because it is based off of one tough buggy.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

IMO!
I think the Caster is overpriced. They should be competing at the price of the HotBodies buggy's. The new 1.5 version should have been a totally new buggy, not just an update of a Mugen copy. Untill Caster designs their own buggy and it shows promise, i'm not getting one. And now their having "issues" with the Gravity Hobby knockoff of a knockoff car, you may not even be sure what your getting out of the Caster box.

The hyper9e has a great layout with a large battery tray and centralized layout. But also has some issues, like the body don't fit very well, or the a-arms are too brittle. But I really dig the center driveshaft idea.

I was sold on the Ve8 untill I realized the limited battery choice due to the small battery box, and the fact you have to cut the motor shaft because it is WAY TOO CLOSE to the battery. Then everybody started breaking thier chassis. But there are a couple people making an updated chassis, HB for one, BCE too I think, and the one HH has posted pictures of looks the most promising imo. And using discount codes and getting an updated chassis will still put you under $400 for the kit.

this is all my opinion and subject to change at any time, lol.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

i dont think the caster is over priced, if you compare the race roller to the
ve8 its cheaper at $199, which in terms of parts it should be compared to that.

You cannot compare the ve8 to the 2010 ex1.5r pro in terms of quality of parts, its not in the same catagory. It is an extreamly good deal at $380 considering what you get for a car. It uses 7075 t6 all the way around.

As for the gravity thing, someone at rccar had a vendetta, you would have to be a complete idiot to work in the rc car industry and not know the name hobbywing, which leads me to belive that
a. its a bunch of old ladies that actually write for them
b. they are understaffed so they had a 4 year old write the article
or c. they really are a bunch of idiots

I am going with c but leaning towards a
Old 03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

How can you compare the price of the race roller to the Ve8? You could throw a couple of walmart or radioshack rc's in if you want to make them all look high.

I was browsing the Caster forums and noticed there is some confusion about the 7075 parts, and was pretty shocked to see that the OWNER of Caster usa didn't even know what the chassis was made out of or is not telling the truth. All signs pointing to lower quality 6061.

I saw a while ago about the Caster/Gravity buggy on the Caster forums and that thread dissapeared, possibly hoping the issue would just vanish.

I have a sub. to RC car, and I applaud them for their honesty. It seems too often that mags are kissing too much ass to the companys.

I do agree with the Caster guys that the layout is one of the best out there!
Looks very well balanced.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one8updragracer
How can you compare the price of the race roller to the Ve8? You could throw a couple of walmart or radioshack rc's in if you want to make them all look high.

I was browsing the Caster forums and noticed there is some confusion about the 7075 parts, and was pretty shocked to see that the OWNER of Caster usa didn't even know what the chassis was made out of or is not telling the truth. All signs pointing to lower quality 6061.

I saw a while ago about the Caster/Gravity buggy on the Caster forums and that thread dissapeared, possibly hoping the issue would just vanish.

I have a sub. to RC car, and I applaud them for their honesty. It seems too often that mags are kissing too much ass to the companys.

I do agree with the Caster guys that the layout is one of the best out there!
Looks very well balanced.

I have seen pics of the Caster buggies and they just seem to be copies of other buggies out there.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
The HB car is ok I personally had issues with drivetrain wearing out prematurely.
Do you think this was caused by quality of parts? Or the driveline angle combined with the power of brushless?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by one8updragracer

I dont get what you mean, the race roller would be the car you would put up against the ve8? Are you saying its junk? thats a pretty crappy opinion. the ve8 would definitly fall in that catigory as well then.

The pro chassis is 7075, they have no reason to lie to you. As for the gravity thread, maybe you should take another look before you try to point out rccars honesty. You should really get you facts straight before trying to give an opinion. Just my opinion
Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

I have seen pics of the Caster buggies and they just seem to be copies of other buggies out there.
the layout of the caster is unique to the car, it was from the very beggining, they have been making improvments on it ever since. its true that they did use some mugen parts, like the driveline and some other parts, but from what I know most of the car is caster
Old 03-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

With very few exceptions, MOST 1/8 buggies look like copies of some other 1/8th buggy. 1 company makes big-bore shocks...and wow, 6 months later everyone else has big-bore shocks. C-Hubs? PBS? Kingpin?

Oh my, all these buggies have 3 oil-filled diffs and wings and chassis braces...

My point is this: All of the 1/8th manufacturers have copied something from someone at sometime.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by interplanet
I dont get what you mean, the race roller would be the car you would put up against the ve8? Are you saying its junk? thats a pretty crappy opinion. the ve8 would definitly fall in that catigory as well then.

The pro chassis is 7075, they have no reason to lie to you. As for the gravity thread, maybe you should take another look before you try to point out rccars honesty. You should really get you facts straight before trying to give an opinion. Just my opinion
Sorry, but I didn't mean the cars are junk. NONE of the above buggies are junk. I just meant that you were trying to compare a low-end buggy to a high end one.

about the chassis I did some looking and found what I was talking about
Hakmazter--"The pro kits have a Mugen driveline and 7075 aluminum everywhere except the chassis plate" He said that even though HIS advertisemend clearly said 7075 CHASSIS.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

if you kept reading you would see that it was a mistake on his part, they are 7075 t6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.