Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Havoc ESC Caught Fire - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Cain
Thanks NovakTwo. Its on its way back. Should be there Monday.

Side question, ididn't see this option on the warranty form or I probably misunderstood it, but how much is it to just swap the motor stator if its a warranty replacement? was thinking of just getting a 17.5 stator instead of the 13.5 in it currently, didn't know if it was just $5 to do this since I am sending it for warranty or not.
Hi Cain, just email [email protected] with all of your return info and request a different stator installed in your replacement motor. Ask CS if there is a charge.

I'm sending you a PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is the response I got from Novak. I was using a Novak Havoc Sport ESC. Thanks again NovakTwo for helping out with the issue. John Hallman is the person I contacted over at Novak. [email protected]

"If the item is within the 120 day warranty period, it can be sent in for a warranty claim. If the system passes the inspection, there will be no charge. If it is over the warranty period, the replacement price for the Havoc is $45 not including S/H or tax if applicable. If you are outside the US, you will need to handle this with one of our dealers."
Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Hi Cain, just email [email protected] with all of your return info and request a different stator installed in your replacement motor. Ask CS if there is a charge.

I'm sending you a PM.
Thanks! I sent in the info.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Rookie

plugged my new havoc in today and started heating up, unplugged then tried again but started smoking. Lot of money to spend to send up in smoke..
Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by alex2504
plugged my new havoc in today and started heating up, unplugged then tried again but started smoking. Lot of money to spend to send up in smoke..
Because I am not part of Novak's technical support group, I suggest you email [email protected] with your question, Our regular CS/Tech Support hours can be located here. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions (trouble-shooting guide) originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Trouble-shooting TeamNovak's One Touch™ Speed Controls

Please make your initial email as detailed as possible. Include:

~ speed control (brand/model)
~ motor (brand/wind)
~ number/type of cells
~ battery, brand (c rating/capacity
~ rotor (old/new)
~ connectors used
~ servo (brand/model)
~ radio system (receiver/transmitter)
~ vehicle & gearing
~ warranty claim?
~ lipo cut-off, on/off
~ any external modules (BEC/brand, Glitch Buster)
~ other important info: water damage, corrosive chemical sprays, excess heat, etc
The more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Legend

about how long does a response take for say that warranty stator change issue I mentioned? sent a message but haven't gotten a response yet.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Cain
about how long does a response take for say that warranty stator change issue I mentioned? sent a message but haven't gotten a response yet.
If you have not received a response to your email within @24 hours (service hours), you should resend your email. Be sure and fill out the "subject line" with the word Novak or Product Name (Ballistic stator).
Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Legend

thanks. I went ahead and resent the message and got a response right away. I'll need to buy a new stator from what I was told since they can't do a swap.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Update

Hey everybody,

So Novak replaced my faulty ESC and motor as it was covered under the 120 day warranty. Their customer service has been top notch. Even though my new SMC 50C Lipo battery was ruined due to the ESC fire and Novak didn't offer to cover it in any way, their turnaround time was outstanding. My Havoc brushless system was in my B3 and I just bought a RB5 SP. Originally I was only looking at LRP but will now consider the Kinetic when it comes out as I've been pretty satisfied with their customer service. Thank you again to NovakTwo for forwarding my information to the right people.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Legend

Bob Novak himself took a look at my motor and got me sorted out. Big thanks to Novak!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HyperJC
Ha! you got that right. I had my garage smelling so bad. Febreeze nor aroma candles could get rid of the smell. When I removed the ESC from my truck I had the smell in my hands for about 3 days. Hopefully Novak can take care of these issues. I submitted my setup information over to them. I'll keep you guys posted too when I get a reply.
Why does Novak have to deal with the stinky hand issue?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default we fried 2 in 2 days

my brother and I lost 2 8.5 havoks in 2 days...we are both running sc10s with 5000 2s 35c lipos with 18/87 gears and the airtronics 2.4 radios....anyways on tuesday night my brothers truck was running perfect and suddenly burst into flames so i just went out in the garage and plugged my battery in to play and PPFFFSSSSTTT flame on...and you are right man those things stink,im gonna send them in and see what they say
Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default havok

i had another havok that was in my slash and it started acting up so i sent it in and novak replaced it and upgraded me from the 10.5 to the 8.5 for free....ive used novaks since the early 80s and have yet to pay for a repair or warranty work.....yes novak you are awesome!!!! they even sent me a new deans plug for my new esc.I'm gonna ship out my 8.5 today and see what happens
Old 05-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Service is Top Notch

When my Novak ESC caught fire, I sent the item to Novak and within a week they shipped me out a new one. My ESC was still under their 120 day warranty so I'm not sure how customer service would have been if it was beyond the 120 day warranty. I've talked to several pit members and they talked about Novak's consistency problems with their ESC. Everybody I'm running with runs either Tekin, Castle, or LRP. Since my ESC was down while it was being serviced, I bit the bullet and bought an LRP SXX TC Spec. That thing is awesome. While Novak customer service is top notch, it's tough when I haven't gotten anybody to give me a "thumbs up" for their products. I just bought a RB5 SP and was gonna put my Novak ESC in it but now have second thoughts. My Blitz ESE should also come in this weekend and was thinking about putting in the new SC ESC from Novak but all the suggestions I've been getting have been to put in Mamba Max Pro or a Tekin. Decisions, Decisions!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by secoweco
Hey everybody,

So Novak replaced my faulty ESC and motor as it was covered under the 120 day warranty. Their customer service has been top notch. Even though my new SMC 50C Lipo battery was ruined due to the ESC fire and Novak didn't offer to cover it in any way, their turnaround time was outstanding. My Havoc brushless system was in my B3 and I just bought a RB5 SP. Originally I was only looking at LRP but will now consider the Kinetic when it comes out as I've been pretty satisfied with their customer service. Thank you again to NovakTwo for forwarding my information to the right people.
Where is the SMC LiPo now? What does it look like? I helped a kid at our track, his Havok went up in flame and though there was a scorch on the sid of the pack, it was totally fine. He was scared of it, so I ran it in my car a bit and topped it back up for him, we even scrubbed off some of the soot so it didn't look so bad. That Havok go so hot, it actually warped the chassis under it a little and melted the solder off of all the power connections. The batter and cap wires were completely free from the board, and 2 of the 3 motor wires were totally out as well. The case was nearly gone on 3 of the 4 sides. Good thing it was an outdoor dirt track, a corner worker burried the car in dirt, and it put the fire out pretty fast.

This does seem like a bit of a trend. Why are all the ones burning up connected to SMC packs???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.