Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Brushless recommendation for Tamiya grasshopper? >

Brushless recommendation for Tamiya grasshopper?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless recommendation for Tamiya grasshopper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default Brushless recommendation for Tamiya grasshopper?

Hey guys - I recently purchased a tamiya grasshopper re-release. While more for nostalgia, I am looking to replace the stock motor setup and use it on an actual dirt track.

I am toying with the idea of placing in a brushless. I don't have much experience with brushless, and need guidance on choosing a system that will keep all wheels on the ground and not make it a wheelie machine.

From what I have read on another website, only a 2C lipo would fit the stock setup. My question is how many turns would be efficient and what system would be best? Thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would suggest nothing smaller then a 21.5 turn brushless setup. Though your grasshopper is a re-release they didn't strengthen your gearbox gears to handle the kind of power and torque available from a brushless setup.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

A brushless will make short work of the grasshopper gear box, dont do it.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You should see about a full bearing kit. I wouldn't put to much power in there I would get a sensored system to keep it in total controll. 27t to 21.5t sounds like a good range. Maybe put a crawler system in it! Lol

I have a 2s goat system in my AX10 crawler and it's probebly as fast as the original grass hopper but brushless
Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1967rs
Totally agree, the torque of brushless is too much.. My friend runs a GH with a standard 540 can motor with NIHMs and its quick enough. I would recommend a Tamiya brushed 23T BZ Super Stock motor, that with lipo will be fast...

I gotta get a re-re GH or Frog before they go bye-bye
Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you decide to use the brushless, just make sure you have ball bearings in the trans and rear axle. We used to run my friends Lunchbox with mod motors all the time.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You could use the new Novak VTA set-up that uses a 25.5 BL motor. You should be fine there with the stock gearbox and still have fun with it. Plus you can get the ESC and motor for around $130.

As far as using a Lipo, if I remember correctly the battery box would only take a stick pack so if you find lipos that are rounded to fit then use them.

About the bushings, you would wear those out just as fast using a silver can as a BL motor.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 1967rs
+3. That conversion would be comparable to stuffing a top fuel dragster motor in a geo metro.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

I remember an article in RCCA about 10 or so years ago, where the editor tryed to break a Hornet (same as GH but with 540 standard). He run a 10 turn motor and run that buggy through all heck and back, even hit a wall at full speed several times. Not sure if it was equipped with bearings or not, but the tranny survived and the car was still intact when he stopped the abuse. I honestly think the tranny with bearings will handle most reasonable brushless setups, I would however limit it to on road with good tires
Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by crazyjr
I remember an article in RCCA about 10 or so years ago, where the editor tryed to break a Hornet (same as GH but with 540 standard). He run a 10 turn motor and run that buggy through all heck and back, even hit a wall at full speed several times. Not sure if it was equipped with bearings or not, but the tranny survived and the car was still intact when he stopped the abuse. I honestly think the tranny with bearings will handle most reasonable brushless setups, I would however limit it to on road with good tires
This is what I have heard. Some guys say the gearbox is "bulletproof" but the thought of putting in a 3.5 brushless is not my intent.

I am eyeing these two items:

Novak Havoc Spec Brushless System 17.5
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWLX0&P=7

HYPERION SWIFT RC CAR 4000 2S LIPO
http://cgi.ebay.com/HYPERION-SWIFT-R...d=p3286.c0.m14

The suggestion above called for 21.5T, but from what I have read it is comparable to the stock Tamiya 540. I am looking for a step above.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Addict

This is equal to a 27T brushed so don't worry. It should work just fine and you'll appreciate the longer run times and maintenance free motor.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-...tem-combo.html
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The only problem with the modern "stock" motors is they are very low rpm compared to the older brushed counterparts. From what I remember, the grasshopper is limited to a single gear ratio so finding the motor that provides descent speed could be tricky. It is true that a 17.5 is considered the equal for an old 27t brushed, but the rpm is probably half of the brushed version.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have an original and Re Re Grasshopper. As long as you are running bearings in the transmission you will be fine. I have run a Castle MM and a 4600 in mine but it is way to much. I put 13.5's the $12 Hobbycity ones in them with the Zippy 4000 hard case for my kids to play with. They are both running GTB's because I have replaced my Novaks with Tekins in my cars. They have been industructible and will run for 30+ min. You are limited to an 18 tooth pinion.

They have been running the cars this way for almost 2 years now. I have upgraded them to Traxxas Shashes now and the Grasshoppers have been handed down to my brothers kids and are still going strong.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PaPeRo
This is equal to a 27T brushed so don't worry. It should work just fine and you'll appreciate the longer run times and maintenance free motor.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-...tem-combo.html
$71 bucks for a brushless setup! This is by far the cheapest rig I have seen. -- Do you have any review links on this item?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.