Search

ROAR 4wd SCT rules posted

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HyperB5
oops
time for me to retire. goodnight all, we'll pick this up tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Gotcha, thank you! I have never noticed it being a problem on my Tekin RS Pro 5.5HV but I don't own a lipo under 35C. From what I got from Sharks posting it was more likely to happen if you are running a crappy pack that can't recover fast enough which will cause the LVC to kick in.
bingo. full throttle + crappy pack + 3.3v/cell lvc = not good
Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cbrociuos
time for me to retire. goodnight all, we'll pick this up tomorrow.
No doubt. I'm getting old so it's way past my bedtime....
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok look forward to 'whining' & 'beating a deadhorse' again tomorrow!

G-night!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Thanks for the info... that's good stuff. That's without beadlocks... like proline or Jc wheels?

Alum hopups are rarely a good idea in any class... even 1/8 finally got away from that. A few years ago those things were tanks.. looked like a 7075 robot puked on them. Now there is more minimal alloy and more plastic and CF.

You could drop 5oz just by swapping out the motor/esc for Novak's 1/10 stuff. The HV esc is FAT!!! over 3x the weight of a normal esc... 4.7oz vs GTB 1.3

That would at least get it under 6... @ 5lbs 13oz

Conversation has been interesting and informative... I will check back in 24 hrs to see if the horse is dead yet LOL
Sorry, just to clarify, it's the 1/10 Havoc Pro esc which is only spec'd at 1.36oz

I took the beadlocks off the PL Split-Six's because they won't be used for racing. A beadlock with 6 screws weighs 19.5g which equals over 3oz total! I will be using C.F. beadlocks and titanium screws which will bring the final weight back up slightly!

Even with all the weight reduction you can do, you would still be asking a specfic size motor and electronics to consistantly move over 4x the rotational mass than it did running a 2wd!

4 more shafts...2 more diffs...2 more pinions...2 more cap joints...2 more axles...12 more bearings...2 more heavy off-road tires.....+ Xtra static weight!

Last edited by HyperB5; 03-02-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Thanks for the input bud! In fact I am running mine at 100 degrees. Geared 13/46. Perfectly happy with performance and temps. And if you take a quick read through the hyper OR jammin thread, you WILL see that the HV 4.5 is the most popular motor. But I guess I'm wrong. I haven't been following these trucks for months or anything.
Well of course the 4.5 HV is the most popular in those trucks.......it's what Nitro house was selling with them in the bundle, and was the best deal around from a site sponsor!! The fact of the matter is there's likely 20 slash 4x4's sold to each on for the ofna/jammin trucks. The people who have the HV's are certainly in the vast MINORITY of all the 4x4 sct owners. I'm also glad you are happy with your gearing, most will not want to leave performance on the table. I try to make it a habit not to align myself with the bitchers and whiners, so I will gladly stick to my ultralight tackle and see how many big fish I can bring down this summer If I can get my car to run cool with a 540 can and my toyotaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa designed radio and throttle finger, anyone can
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

The horse has been dead a long time, and I'm not even debating in favor of the HV or anything specific. I'm looking for a long term resolution to a noted durability issue related to overheating the 540 motors in this brand new class that not very many people posting here have any REAL experience with, including the ROAR participants.

These trucks are significantly heavier than any other specified class tied to the 1/10 motor rule.

These trucks have a higher parasitic drag than any other electric vehicle I have ran... (chain drive Yokomo's included) The diffs are filled and heavy.

We're at a point where the 8.5 540 is similar to a 10.5 in 2wd for "visual" speed. The 4x4 truck can take more useable power but the electronics can't provide it due to heat. I know the 2wd buggy times don't differ much from 4wd buggy times at a big event and 2wd SCT and 4x4 SCT are going to be the same thing. They will just be limited by different factors... In 2wd it will be because you can't really use any more power and 4x4 will be because you cant make any more power without roasting your gear.

In 1998 at the cactus classic at SRS, I caught my Yokomo literally on fire trying to keep up with the monster batteries and motors... The winds were dropping fast and the pros had the un-obtainable batteries. I threw on another pinion trying to keep up. The result wasn't expected, flames and a soda poured on my car to put out the fire. This is a topic I have been through before and the cause and cure may not be the same, but its time to figure it out.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridley
Well of course the 4.5 HV is the most popular in those trucks.......it's what Nitro house was selling with them in the bundle, and was the best deal around from a site sponsor!! The fact of the matter is there's likely 20 slash 4x4's sold to each on for the ofna/jammin trucks. The people who have the HV's are certainly in the vast MINORITY of all the 4x4 sct owners. I'm also glad you are happy with your gearing, most will not want to leave performance on the table. I try to make it a habit not to align myself with the bitchers and whiners, so I will gladly stick to my ultralight tackle and see how many big fish I can bring down this summer If I can get my car to run cool with a 540 can and my toyotaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa designed radio and throttle finger, anyone can
Watch out ! You might get that HUGE segment of SCT racers than run the HV motor in their Ofna/Jammin mad at you SaladFork will come on and tell you too play with his little brothers Wii Wii
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

good morning everybody! ok seriously did roar put another rule on the books that doesnt allow the jammin or the hyper to race?!! 5.1 lbs? i dont have an acurate scale to get an exact weight on mine but its north of there. wow jd did you even see a 4wd corr truck before you wrote these rules or did you just hear tell of some new mysterious truck that came out and was being raced at "underground" tracks, and decided to slap together some rules. i mean you guys are roar to hell w/ whats out there. make some rules and the manufactures will have to go back to the drawing board and work within them. there are only three out and who are they to you guys your roar. all the consumers they just didnt understand what was good for them because you from your ivory tower didnt tell them yet. dont get too mad at us jd its not really our fault, we didnt know we were all buying trucks that were no good for us. thankyou for setting us strait! hey saladfork love your location buddy, thats awesome!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

When HPI , AE , Losi and the other manufacturers come out with SCT's that are using 540 cans (and I bet you they will) what will you guys cry about , sorry , debate about then ?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
When HPI , AE , Losi and the other manufacturers come out with SCT's that are using 540 cans (and I bet you they will) what will you guys cry about , sorry , debate about then ?
maybe the weight rule. its not just the motors, seems like there was no thought put in to alot of the rules roar has set for this class. can anybody on here, well w/ the exception of jd, argue w/ that? i didnt think so. great job jd keep up the good work!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by trx-1racer

We're at a point where the 8.5 540 is similar to a 10.5 in 2wd for "visual" speed.
I need to clarify, I'm talking about a blue groove, freeway smooth style track - often indoors, most all big events are on this type of track.

Outdoors, loose surface the 4x4 is getting around quicker than the 2wd SCT's.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cbrociuos
maybe the weight rule. its not just the motors, seems like there was no thought put in to alot of the rules roar has set for this class. can anybody on here, well w/ the exception of jd, argue w/ that? i didnt think so. great job jd keep up the good work!

No , that point I will fully give too you But maybe Ofna/Jammin should have thought about how much their cars weighed before the released them ?

I am sure they (Ofna/Jammin) did alot of testing with 540 motors in the Hyper 10SC and SCRT before they were released , if they have such a hard time running with the 540 motors then why were they (Ofna/Jammin) pushing the MM5700KV combo with it ?

Sorry guys I get the cooler running/more reliable concept , I really do .

But I will also bet that Ofna/Jammin were one of the manufacturers that told ROAR their trucks could run on a standard 1/10 540 can motor ......
Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

Just FYI, here is the weight limit rule from the ROAR rule book.

Weight (Ready to Race) Minimum 2505 gr (88 oz)

That translates to 5.5lbs
Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ridley
After doing a lot of testing before releasing the Hyper 10SC, they found it to be reliable, run cool, and not overpower the truck! Just the facts!!! It works so well in the 4x4 SC trucks that NOVAK put it back into production!

Another DBag who pulls out the bitchin' and whinin' card with no real substance to add!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.