Best R/C for a 6 yr old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best R/C for a 6 yr old?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I was saying Stampede because it is taller and can go over stuff and do jumps. You see my kids are not into racing, they like to go off road with the R/C they had (New Bright models) and running in the grass and jumps. That's why I was thinking on a Pede cause they can do all that and suffer no damage...heck they loved to play chicken with their r/c...of course none of them moved....they love to crash and trash.....
Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Rookie

i say 2wd slash. handles better, less body roll. perfect for bashing. they can grow into it too. better for chicken as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

+1 on the 2wd Slash , you said he likes your 4wd slash so it looks exactly the same , and you said he likes to play chicken and having the extended bumpers on the 2wd slash will hold up better then a stampede. Then when he gets used to the speed you can throw in a brushless system for cheap down the road. Its a no brainer get him the 2wd slash , he'll love it and it can really take a beating. - goodluck
Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (99%+)

Originally Posted by snakemau
Well I was saying Stampede because it is taller and can go over stuff and do jumps. You see my kids are not into racing, they like to go off road with the R/C they had (New Bright models) and running in the grass and jumps. That's why I was thinking on a Pede cause they can do all that and suffer no damage...heck they loved to play chicken with their r/c...of course none of them moved....they love to crash and trash.....
If that's the case, maybe this is more up their alley.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXRNL8**&P=ML
Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i started my daughter off in a mini crawler so she gets the handle on steering and throttle control . a batery lasts for ever and if you want to speed it up a novak brushless unit speeds it up lots . . also its ok to play by themselvs as rock crawling is a solo sport .
Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Initiate

For yrs I always suggested the Stampede as a first vehicle, that is until the Slash came out. The Slash is basically a Stampede with a longer chassis. Ive found that the large bumpers, side nerf bars, and large body protect it much better than the open suspension of the Stampede. My son and I run ours all over the yard, through the grass, and of course he jumps his over anything that gets in his way. It will take any abuse they can throw at it. Plus when you do flip them over the body makes them have a tendancy to flip back to their wheels. If it dosnt then we just use the other one to run into it and it knocks it back over on its wheels. Heck thats what my friends and I do at the track so we dont have to get off the drivers stand. The only thing I did to my sons was to put a little more preload on the shocks to raise it up a bit. Helps to drive over larger stuff and go through deeper grass.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I was thinking on the Slash for them, and then on the Pede. I know they like them both, but it is true that the slash has the bumpers (unless you can put bumpers on the pede!!!) and that will provide more protection. My main reason for the pede was their clearance so they will run them over piles of leaves and mud and rocks and stuff like that...but they can do almost all that with the slash as well and they can go run with me at the track with their slash, not the pede
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'd have to vote for the HPI Baja. Its huge and no grass or leaves are going to stop it.

all kidding aside, i am another advocate of the slash. i let my neighbor kids drive mine and one parked it in a retention pond. I waded in to get it, shook the water out and passed the remote to the next anxious kid. Lightposts, picnic tables, and other R/C car destroying fare has yet to hurt it more than a bent shock shaft. It will get hung up in taller grass but it will take a beating, that is for sure... When I am not letting my neighborhood beat it up, I race it in stock trim so even if your youngins get the racing bug as they grow up, you have a decent starting point for them.

The DTX cars are decent for starting out, but the Slash has more lasting power I think and also, parts are available almost anywhere.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

if the stock traxxas motor in training mode is still too fast, you could always get a 35 or 45 turn motor. lower gearing will bring the top speed down too.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i say, get a rustler/stampede, and get a nice 27T motor along with it, i learned r/c with that setup
Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just go AE SC10, there seems to be an abundant class.

But honestly 2wd buggy is the best teaching tool
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
Just go AE SC10, there seems to be an abundant class.

But honestly 2wd buggy is the best teaching tool
Did you even read the thread? Not looking to race but something to bash around the yard. A 2wd buggy or the sc10 wouldnt work for that.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The original stock 2wd Slash. Period.

When I got my kids a Slash (were about 6 and 8 yrs old at the time) they loved it. Before that, I had them set up with a couple of my retired 2wd buggies. The Slash has the looks and durability to keep them interested, entertained, and out of my workshop looking for repairs.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LOL is this the same thread as in the other rc forum?

I bet a 6 year old would love theTamiya Lunchbox or the wild willy!

In fact, I'm getting one of those for my 4 y/o little brother.
I think small children would find the other more competitive r/c's boring...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just picked up a Duratrax Evader for my 6 year old Grandson to run while his dad and I run our monster trucks. You can get a new one off eBay for $89. And parts are DIRT cheap. I figure give him a year or 2 and I'll get him something that he can actually compete with once he has the basics down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.