Search
Like Tree80Likes

Durango DEX210 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yup!

This takes out the shocks having to be the exact length(although I build them to exact lengths anyhow).

The way you guys are measuring droop works fine as long as you all use the same chassis height on the table.

This is a pretty accepted way to measure droop in offroad.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Yup!

This takes out the shocks having to be the exact length(although I build them to exact lengths anyhow).

The way you guys are measuring droop works fine as long as you all use the same chassis height on the table.

This is a pretty accepted way to measure droop in offroad.
Should work just fine... however this isn't actually measuring droop, its measuring functional shock length... which will work fine. (for the most part)

Last edited by Cpt.America; 10-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well the diff in Cush's car got roached pretty badly last weekend, and upon inspection last night it was apparent that his mechanic didn't set it properly. So as I waited for my shipment from BFast to come today, I cleaned and prepped everything so when I get home all that has to be done is drop the new balls in and re-assemble the car. The thrust is still like new, though I cleaned it and regreased it anyway. The rings were pretty bad so they got flipped and finish sanded, but not much was needed as they are very flat out of the box.

BFast has both carbide and ceramic balls in sets of 14, as well as the caged thrust and "raced" washers. They are expecting to have rings soon, but as of now they do not. I'm anxious to see the improvement in what is already one of the finest diffs in the business.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
...it might be a good idea to start measuring it that way if everybody else is, so we can have some kind of consistency...
Agreed. This is an easy way to measure and gives two solid points - ***So long as your shocks are mounted in the same holes as everyone elses!***

So keep that in mind, because that will change the dimension!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by sparkwraps
Agreed. This is an easy way to measure and gives two solid points - ***So long as your shocks are mounted in the same holes as everyone elses!***

So keep that in mind, because that will change the dimension!
And also only if you are running identical ride heights. Which is another reason measuring actual droop instead of shock length is more accurate

Last edited by Cpt.America; 10-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Team Tekin

True guys. However most of us offroad guys don't use a chassis block to measure the down travel.

Assuming the shocks are in the same mounting locations this will give an accurate down travel measurement.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Lord

True guys. However most of us offroad guys don't use a chassis block to measure the down travel.

Assuming the shocks are in the same mounting locations this will give an accurate down travel measurement.
You dont use chassis blocks to measure droop, only downstops (which is completely un-useful, btw). Droop is just measured with a ruler on a flat surface, with the car sitting on its tires in ready to race trim.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

You are correct. 3 degrees of anti-squat will keep more pressure on the front tires under acceleration. You measure droop the way that I measure droop as well, which is how much the chassis rises before the tires lift the ground. I guess this stems from my onroad experience, which is how we all measure droop. Iv never measured eyelet-to-eyelet like Randy is showing here. However, it might be a good idea to start measuring it that way if everybody else is, so we can have some kind of consistency.

Randy, are you measuring from the very center of each eyelet?
Not sure about the pressure, but more anti-squat more rear traction. If he needs more on power steering, I would run less anti-squat to free up some rear traction. Also you can put more shims under the front inner ballstud, or even less rear toe in if you have enough traction. Just my thoughts on this, all will help.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Lord

Here is another reason why measuring the shock length and interpreting it as droop is a bad idea:

Here is a hypothetical situation, with completely made up numbers:

Lets say I am running my shocks at 75mm. My ride height at 25mm, but my actual droop is 10mm (chassis rise). Lets say randy is going to go off my setup, but he likes a much lower car. So, he sets his shock length measurement at 75mm, his ride height at 20mm (5mm lower). Randy will end up with the same length shock measurement, but 15mm of droop instead of my 10.

The only way to accurately measure droop... is to actually measure droop.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Team Tekin

so you're measuring by pushing up on the chassis with a ruler until the tires leave the ground?

I'm not following I guess.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

so you're measuring by pushing up on the chassis with a ruler until the tires leave the ground?

I'm not following I guess.
yep. sit your car flat, and measure a spot on the very front (or rear) of the chassis in mm from the ground. Now, slowly lift that end of the car off the ground until the tires are JUST BARELY getting ready to lift off the table, and measure the same spot. The difference between the two, is your droop. Simple as that. (you measure one end at a time, BTW).

Measuring the shock length is a good start, but isn't actually measuring droop, and things like ride height or shock angle will change your droop settings, even though your shock lengths or droop screws haven't changed.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 10-28-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Lord

25 degree caster mod

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/201...B0-caster-mod/
Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
Here's a link on how to run 25deg of caster

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=4622

just cut down a zero deg toe-in insert to use as a caster insert
scooped
this thread moves too fast though to keep up with some stuff
Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
scooped
this thread moves too fast though to keep up with some stuff
did you post that already somewhere? I bow down to the master ... seriously, sorry for the repost
Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

did you post that already somewhere? I bow down to the master ... seriously, sorry for the repost
it was on the last page, the info popped up this morning on Durango's site. It's no big deal, just bustin your chops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.