Its not binding, its spinning when throttle is applied
Old 05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

will 87/29 gearing fit on the 210?
Old 05-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A car of this caliber should not have this issue. I ve owned both associated and losi buggies and had no diff issues. This shouldnt be this hard or this level of failure. I want to go to a race and short of breaking something depend on that car to perform and not pray the diff holds up. The diff is a total pain to get out and not fun to mess with at the track.

Sorry Im done venting, if I cant get this thing to hold up better its back to associated.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I had a similar problem putting power down on track with a mod motor. The diff kept barking. Used ceramic balls and stock balls plates and thrust bearings. All went away with 30 bucks spent on a bfast kit. Else you can put that money on a gear diff option if you hate rebuilds.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DBL15
well i ran the gear diff on the weekend only with the slightest bit of black grease in it

i ended up running 81 /27 with my 10.5 tekin setup

the gear diff just got better and better the more i ran it

i got quickest lap times and only lost the final by .6 after a 10 minute main against guys that have run 2wd for many years

really liking this little buggy
cool finally someone likes the gear diff. Wanted to try one out but I hate giving tower my money (shippings too much and too slow) and noone else has it in stock . How does it compare to your ball diff in fast sweepers with body roll? Does it diff out easy?
Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by meddman
A car of this caliber should not have this issue. I ve owned both associated and losi buggies and had no diff issues. This shouldnt be this hard or this level of failure. I want to go to a race and short of breaking something depend on that car to perform and not pray the diff holds up. The diff is a total pain to get out and not fun to mess with at the track.

Sorry Im done venting, if I cant get this thing to hold up better its back to associated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Kj3segrGH6U

Since following these instructions I have never had one problem with my diff. Just went the B-Fast way to get the better diff balls. Durango went a bit Losi when they included steel diff balls.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Sorry, but you built the diff incorrectly. Technically, what is happening is.. the circlip is coming out on-throttle, causing your center diff gear to just spin freely. (It almost sounds like you lost your pinion, right?) When you take the diff apart, the circip appears to still be in the right place, right? Here is where most people fail with this diff:

1. They have the thrust washers swapped. (one is larger than the other)
2. They have the circlip installed upside down
3. They are using a circlip that has been compressed too many times (which was anything more than once, for me)

Somewhere between #1 and #3 is your issue.... guaranteed. Go back and look at all the posts in this thread about diff issues soon after the car was released (some by me, I might add), and you will see the EXACT same posts as you have posted here, everybody swearing up and down they built the diffs correctly...but alas.. .nope... something was overlooked 100% of the time. Your diff will be no exception.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 05-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

My 22 with the steel balls that it came with had the same problems. Bark Bark Bark.... Almost had to completely lock it down to get it to stop barking.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
My 22 with the steel balls that it came with had the same problems. Bark Bark Bark.... Almost had to completely lock it down to get it to stop barking.
Hes not talking about a barking/slipping diff.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

I had a ton of packs on my kit ball diff, flipped the washers, and new stock steel balls, regreased the thrust and back to work, 40+ packs (combined) and still smooth..I do run on med bite though, and I built it right the first time. The only issue IMO is the circlip, replace it with either an Xray, or fastenal "SPRING STEEL" clip, the stainless one sucks..Dont let the diff spin, No ball diff will put up with that-Period...
Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flame56mx
I had a ton of packs on my kit ball diff, flipped the washers, and new stock steel balls, regreased the thrust and back to work, 40+ packs (combined) and still smooth..I do run on med bite though, and I built it right the first time. The only issue IMO is the circlip, replace it with either an Xray, or fastenal "SPRING STEEL" clip, the stainless one sucks..Dont let the diff spin, No ball diff will put up with that-Period...
I used the stock clip in my recent rebuild. Its not given me any issues. Have a few new schumacher clips that I will use if you think that will mitigate a future blow up though.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
I used the stock clip in my recent rebuild. Its not given me any issues. Have a few new schumacher clips that I will use if you think that will mitigate a future blow up though.
If its not broke, dont mess with it, but I wont use the stock clip. I would use the either the Xay or fastenal spring steel clips, and they are much more resilient the the stainless.. I am unfamiliar with the Shuey clips, so I cant speak for them, although I have never heard anyone complain about them either.. Break in on a ball diff is a Huge deal, and I do mine on the bench before they even go it the cases, and they last a long time..
Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flame56mx
Break in on a ball diff is a Huge deal, and I do mine on the bench before they even go it the cases, and they last a long time..
Big +1 on properly breaking in a ball diff.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Gear Diff. Problem Solved!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Gear dif with AE black grease, havent touched my dif in months!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.