Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Anyway to convert a hard case lipo to a top terminal? >

Anyway to convert a hard case lipo to a top terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyway to convert a hard case lipo to a top terminal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default Anyway to convert a hard case lipo to a top terminal?

I'm looking to take one of these:

and convert it to this to tidy up the wiring:

I realize I'd have to separate and drill the case for the teminals to come through.
Thanks
Dave
Old 01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

do you want to blow up your lipo because you would drill into the cells
Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racerguy13
WOW!!!!!

I would guess that he may separate the hard case from the cells THEN drill holes to make them come through.

Yes, this is possible and shouldn't be that hard. I haven't taken one of those apart but you should be able to unsolder the connections to the cells and flip the wires to point the desired direction and resolder. You could even make the leads detachable but that would require more work and probably not worth it in the long run. BE SURE TO NOT TOUCH YOUR SOLDERING IRON ACROSS BOTH LEADS OR ONE WIRE TO THE OTHER!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
WOW!!!!!

I would guess that he may separate the hard case from the cells THEN drill holes to make them come through.

Yes, this is possible and shouldn't be that hard. I haven't taken one of those apart but you should be able to unsolder the connections to the cells and flip the wires to point the desired direction and resolder. You could even make the leads detachable but that would require more work and probably not worth it in the long run. BE SURE TO NOT TOUCH YOUR SOLDERING IRON ACROSS BOTH LEADS OR ONE WIRE TO THE OTHER!!!
I was actually going to take my plama cutter to the plastic case In reality I planned to put a female recepticle for those bullet type plugs into the case so I can plug the male end directly into the case like shown in that second picture. I need to find those also.

Dave
Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racerguy13
You have got to be kidding right? The cases come apart, geez
Old 01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
I'm looking to take one of these:

and convert it to this to tidy up the wiring:

I realize I'd have to separate and drill the case for the teminals to come through.
Thanks
Dave
I don't think that will work because you won't have enough room to fit the female bullet conector inside the same case. I have open a few hard case li-po's and theres never more room than a few millimeters of space on all sides.

But on the bright side, if you do it and find out the same thing you can always just glue it back together
Old 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Just curious how this would 'clean up' wiring? you still need 2 wires from the battery to your esc, wherever they connect. I think the original will look cleaner as the battery won't be 'hacked' up
Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your other thread showed that you wanted to simply re-route the wires.

This would only require you to open the case and drill new holes. (remove the top case completely before drilling)

Trying to add internal banana plug posts would be considerably more difficult a modification, if possible at all.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayL
Just curious how this would 'clean up' wiring? you still need 2 wires from the battery to your esc, wherever they connect. I think the original will look cleaner as the battery won't be 'hacked' up
By clean up I mean have no plugs and have the wires from ESC go right to the battery and have the connections integrated into the case.

Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by groundhogg
Your other thread showed that you wanted to simply re-route the wires.

This would only require you to open the case and drill new holes. (remove the top case completely before drilling)

Trying to add internal banana plug posts would be considerably more difficult a modification, if possible at all.
Not sure how you come to that conclusion. The other post was a mirror image (double post somehow) of each other.

Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd like to see pictures of an opened hard case just to see how they're joined. I have two Team Orion hard case packs that are nearing end of life. I'd like to open them up and use some cells that I use in my airplanes and helicopters as I haven't been flying much anymore. I'd prefer to have the cells in a hard case. I haven't been able to find the cases sold separately though. I really haven't tried hard to open my cases yet. This thread got me thinking about it again.

Joe
Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
By clean up I mean have no plugs and have the wires from ESC go right to the battery and have the connections integrated into the case.

Dave
not trying to argue

You will need a "plug" somewhere if you want to remove the battery. You are just moving the "plug" from the middle of the wire to the end.

I just use bullet connectors longwise with shrink tubing and you cannot really tell they are there

also this battery will no longer be legal for racing if you hack the case