Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas slash protrac suspension ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Huh? The Sc10 is the most Scale truck out there. I haven't broken mine. I have both, and felt that the Sc10 would be the better candidate for mod SCT. My Slash is going to stay stock.

JC has a brand new body for the slash that isn't out yet that should help the slash actually look like a truck though.
At my track, the sc10 climbed to the top in lap times as people started to add power. Then came out the ball diffs, sway bars and factory team shock bodies and spring sets. This makes them super quick but the diff maintenance is constant on a high bite track with big power. The slash with protrac was on the lead lap in second place with an old 15 turn speed gem and an XL5 stock speedo and that with no chassis tuning at all. I cant wait to get out there with my 10.5 brushless and 2 hours of set up.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazysavage
This is not spec talk. This is mod talk and i have an SC 10 as well as everybody else at my track. It's nice to take an old car you have sitting around and revive it to be just as competitive as the racer based cars. And do the math...$70 bucks shipped to give you a new truck that you already have or $200 plus, spare parts, different wheels so all your tires are useless with either choice. I baked mine off to use with the slash and the sc10 is going up for sale. As far as bodies go, I never ran the stock body from any rc car I have ever owned.This kit is easier to drive than my SC10 and I have ton of hop ups and hours of chassis tuning to get my SC10 as fast as all the others at my track.
I think your missing the point to my post.

You had to add $70 to your slash, in addition to the initial purchase price to make it competitive to the others. Thats all I was saying.

I wasnt trying to PO anyone.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Lets set aside the "it's the driver, not the truck" discussion for the sake of the point.

Here's the thing... I already own a slash. I could dial my slash as good as it gets, and another person could dial their sc10 as good as it gets. Let's say we are the exact same driver, with 2 different trucks. There is no way I will be able to keep up with the sc10. It will simply out-drive my slash every time. So in order to be competitive with the sc10, I have to purchase a sc10. Until now - the protrac kit levels the playing field, and allows the slash to handle as well as (and by some people's opinion) better than a sc10. I don't think people who haven't purchased a sc truck will be looking at the slash + protrac, or the sc10. I think the folks you will find who purchase the protrac kit are going to be existing owners who don't want to start over with another truck in order to feel that they have a competing chance.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darksharkman
Lets set aside the "it's the driver, not the truck" discussion for the sake of the point.

Here's the thing... I already own a slash. I could dial my slash as good as it gets, and another person could dial their sc10 as good as it gets. Let's say we are the exact same driver, with 2 different trucks. There is no way I will be able to keep up with the sc10. It will simply out-drive my slash every time. So in order to be competitive with the sc10, I have to purchase a sc10. Until now - the protrac kit levels the playing field, and allows the slash to handle as well as (and by some people's opinion) better than a sc10. I don't think people who haven't purchased a sc truck will be looking at the slash + protrac, or the sc10. I think the folks you will find who purchase the protrac kit are going to be existing owners who don't want to start over with another truck in order to feel that they have a competing chance.
I agree that alot of people who already have a Slash would be a great canidate for the the new Proline suspension kit. I already own two Slashes and plan on getting this kit for one of them for when I do run in a more open SCT class and keep one pretty much stock for when I race Spec classes.

Besides even guys that have the SC10 spend money on hopups just like pretty much every racer does.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Know what happens when you polish a turd?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Did I read that right that you need new wheels to run the Protrac? I have M3 Caliber Premounts right now.
I have FLM towers on my Mod Slash already. I have seen individual pieces for sale so can I get everything but the new towers and still get the benefit of the system?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crawler
turns shiny. look it up on myth busters

slash is a great car.. so is the sc10, all down to preference/ if you're willing to make the sacrifice of durability for performance or vice versa... i have a slash and i love it.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crawler
it thanks you and performs better

I can't comment on how much better it'll perform until I get my own but I tell you this I think it's gonna be worth the $55 bux
Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Did I read that right that you need new wheels to run the Protrac? I have M3 Caliber Premounts right now.
I have FLM towers on my Mod Slash already. I have seen individual pieces for sale so can I get everything but the new towers and still get the benefit of the system?
Yes, you need new tires to run Protrac properly. If you use your old tires, the truck will be 20 mm wider front and rear. It runs fine but it won't clear the body unless you cut the fenders. Also, race regulations might say the car is too wide. But I've run the truck this way and it seems really stable.

If you already have your own upgraded towers, you'll have the rigidity of Protrac towers but the location of the shock holes are probably different and will no be to their spec nor have their selection of tuning locations.

fc
Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NitroLuver
it thanks you and performs better

I can't comment on how much better it'll perform until I get my own but I tell you this I think it's gonna be worth the $55 bux
The price is more like $55 +$35 in new tires. New tires have to be purchased and mounted on their new zero offset rims.

I think the early reviews on this of 'saved 2 seconds off my lap times' are highly biased and exagerrated. A lot of the lap speed is probably gained from switching to M3 Proline Caliber tires vs. stock. The need to compare same tires since tires is the greatest upgrade to the Slash.

I have a few days on it and it ain't no magic bullet. I finished 3rd in Slash Mod class without it and 3rd with it. There's a lot more tuneability so we'll see.

fc
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by francoismtbr
The price is more like $55 +$35 in new tires. New tires have to be purchased and mounted on their new zero offset rims.

I think the early reviews on this of 'saved 2 seconds off my lap times' are highly biased and exagerrated. A lot of the lap speed is probably gained from switching to M3 Proline Caliber tires vs. stock. The need to compare same tires since tires is the greatest upgrade to the Slash.

I have a few days on it and it ain't no magic bullet. I finished 3rd in Slash Mod class without it and 3rd with it. There's a lot more tuneability so we'll see.

fc
yea +tires I still think it'll be cool to own if nothing else. The vid of it running made me want to try it that and I just want to experiment as much as possible with the slash so far my lcg conversion has made the truck a bit more nimble as far as getting in and out of corners
Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

On the stock setup I run 7 laps in our quals. The first time I dropped the Pro Tech kit I ran 8 laps. For me, it made a difference. Then again, I get consistantly run 8 laps with the stock Blitz. Even though I believe the Slash still has a lot more potential, I will probably sell it because I can swap tires back and forth between the Blitz and my new Platinum. The pro Tech kit requires it's own sets because of the rim offset.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I still think overall it will be a better setup vs the stock Slash setup but in the end its the driver.

My buddy just went to a new track he has never been to before with his stock Slash and a HPI Blitz body on but the rest of his Slash is stock with a radio change and shock oil change.

The track he went to allowed 17.5 brushless and any SCT tire made specifically for the SCT's (no 1/8th tires allowed). He ran Bowties in the rear and stock Slash tires in the front along with the stock Titan motor. He ended up breaking the track record. They thought he had a Blitz and when they went to tech to make sure it was legal they where even more surprised it was a Slash and that it was running the stock Titan motor. They went over the truck and it was legal. The rest of the evening he continued to give those a beat down and won the A main.

Bottom line was he simply outdrove them and ran great lines all night long. One or two trucks had a little more speed but the driver was the key in the end as it is 99% of the time.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its my understanding that the new protrac system wont let you use the proline split six beadlock rims,due to the off set of the rims ,you have to use the rims that comes with the protrac kit which means you have to go back to glueing tires.i may be wrong in my thinking but isnt that going backwords in performace?. the idea of the beadlock rims was to make tire changes alot less hassel free and time consumming.so instead of just changing tires you now will need more then one set of front and rear rims to make a tire change at the track,just like the old days.to me that seems like taking a step backwords and more money to spend. just my opinion

Last edited by mojo 309; 01-21-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

finally got the protrac suspension. had to ream the arm holes out for one thing. steering hubs bind when turning. Got the powerstroke shocks, not impressed for sure! some of the coating on the shock shafts is really thin( almost silver ). Cant get the ride height that the set up sheet says unless i add a bunch of weight. The truck is ready to run on the track with lipo and shock preload is all the way to the top. Hummmm........ must need to add the weight or just run the Nimh batts to acheive the ride height. Anyone else have this or these problems??? Is it really all worth the money

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.