Wiki Posts
Search

Red Dot Slash Motors- 12T Titan 550

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
A reminder to interested parties that our next production run of Red Dot Slash motors is scheduled for the week of January 10th. The last run sold out very quickly, so if you want one (or more) of these for the winter racing season, give us a shout at [email protected].

Oh no....Doc is causing trouble on the dirty side of R/C too? Just kidding Doc. On a serious note, red dot motors are no joke (famous especially among us TCS regulars: TCS = Tamiya Championship Series) and will deliver that extra performance boost for your Slash. You still have to drive your truck to win races (the motor doesn't drive for you... ) but you'll have that extra edge against your competitors of similar skill. plus Doc is probably one of the coolest guy you'll meet in the R/C industry and a pleasure to work with.

Steve Wang
ST Racing Concepts
Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Default Just a general observation

before I get flamed and shred to pieces, I like to say this is just a general observation as I've seen this argument time and time again. I think there's a lot of grumbling about a tuned "spec" motor because I think everyone have a slightly different definition on what "spec" is. I've seen spec defined as:

* spec = "run as is out of the box" (this is where our discussion is most heated...a red dot motor is still a motor that came with that box...and this raise the question as to what "tuning" are allowed in a "spec" class. I remember a very heated discussion back in the early days of Slash racing about whether or not filling the gear diff with silicone fluid was legal.)
* spec = "a class that accommodates rookies" (i.e. the 12 year old kid that only have enough money to afford the slash rtr...so maybe there should be a "spec" rookie, and "spec" expert...but some are against adding more classes at a race day because it dwindle down the entries in each class and reduce the fun of racing)
* spec = some kind of cost control racing (some mentioned that it's pointless to dump $300 into a car that cost $179.99 at Pep Boys...good point! but at what $$ amount do we stop and how do we police that?)
* spec = "just a for fun class" I'm always a bit confused when racers bring up this point...because then we have to define another word which many different views will be projected: the word "FUN" I have fun just being at the track (since I don't get to go all that often now). I have fun racing side by side clean with someone even if it's for the last place. But I'll admit, I have fun too when I'm a tiny bit faster than the guy next to me down the straight away (I personally would get a red dot for this application ), and of course I enjoy winning a race as well (which has not happen in the past...oh....3-4 years).

...etc....etc. So I think we have disagreements on here because different racers/hobbyist view the word "spec" differently. Safely, I think I can say that a red dot motor is not for everyone...because simply it is not applicable at your local track (depending on how your race director defines the word "spec" in spec class) or it simply doesn't match your definition of "spec" racing.

Ok...sorry for the long post *putting on flame suit and running now *

Steve
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
do these last any longer than a regular titan? that's the main reason i quit racing and sold my slash. although, my local track adopted the 17.5 brushless rule....so either way i'm getting back into it.
?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamstrc
and of course I enjoy winning a race as well (which has not happen in the past...oh....3-4 years).
Wow...we have more in common than I thought....
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jk racing
Wow...we have more in common than I thought....
Oh, but you have accomplished something I have never yet....back flips, in fact, 3 back flips in one race....that I can not do...hahaha

Steve
Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

usually u also find that the guys who complain the most dont even run that class. additionally u find that even when the motors are legal, shocker, the fast guy wins most of the time. funny indeed how that works.

R
Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't care how you look at it or how you justify it . This is not the stock motor this guy is selling , it is a way to cheat to win . If you have to cheat to win then you have won nothing . Everyone of you understand what spec means and by definition this is not it and you know it . If you want to go faster then don't ruin it for the new comers in the sport , move on to a faster class .
Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sorry, GSR swapandslow, I havn't been online here for a couple days. Red Dot Slash motors last as long as a stock motor. Just remember that there is no magic answer here. ANY motor in a Slash has a hard life: heavy vehicle, not out in the airflow, in a dusty environment- all things that conspire to make things hard on your motor.

One suggestion: don' use your red Dot for those 20 minute practice/hack fest/ basher runs. Save that for your old and dying motors. That much runnng at one time just kills a motor in this application.

FocusWRC: If you're running a spec class with handout motors, fixed gearing, no hopups, everyone runs the same tires and batteries, etc. then this is not the motor for you. But if your class rules simply call for a Titan 12T motor with the original label on it, then this is (really) a legal motor. Just...better.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by FocusWRC
I don't care how you look at it or how you justify it . This is not the stock motor this guy is selling , it is a way to cheat to win . If you have to cheat to win then you have won nothing . Everyone of you understand what spec means and by definition this is not it and you know it . If you want to go faster then don't ruin it for the new comers in the sport , move on to a faster class .

so your saying youve never broke a stock motor in a certain way so it makes a lil more power??

if not your the only person on the planet.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
usually u also find that the guys who complain the most dont even run that class. additionally u find that even when the motors are legal, shocker, the fast guy wins most of the time. funny indeed how that works.

R
Why would someone argue on something that doesn't concern them? Spec slash is my main class and I race(along with many others) it as I would with pro sct or 2wd mod so to say its a rookie class is ridiculous. Someone brought up that people are buying 6 motors at a time??? I would like to see someone buy six motors and not run the ones that aren't as punchy. Tuning is one thing but when you see this drastic changes in RPM's and such that doesn't fall under the tuning category in my book sorry. It all comes down to whoever is willing to spend the money to get the fastest stuff...if a slash came out of the box with these RPM's and this much power then i'd be fine.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

rccardr,

so would you not recommend running them in a 45min A-main on an indoor track?

how, who do I email about purchasing one, you take PP?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

+1 couldn't agree more
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rccardr
Drop me an e-mail at [email protected]. Like you, we also find that these motors tend to re-level the playing field among drivers who have skills but not motor.

We sponsor spec racing classes at our local track (and supply motors to race programs who want to do the same thing), and they are matched blind draw motors that the racer pulls at the beginning of the night and gives back when the Mains are over. The class rules limit the hop-ups and battery selection and everyone runs the same chassis and tires. Works great and very popular, faster than out of the box, and nobody complains about someone having a faster motor than theirs.

THAT is spec racing.
Just making sure i am reading this correctly . . .
So unless everyone else you race with runs the red dot motor is shouldn't be allowed according to your own definition of "spec" racing?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So if someone buys a Slash and water dips the motor for break in, they're a cheater?

Or if instead of dropping it on the ground and running the piss out of it, they run it on a block to try and get a good break in that's cheating too?

If you are going to argue that, then no changes at all allowed to set up either. No oil changes, no spacers in the shocks etc... After all, what you are arguing against is knowledge.

So no motor tuning knowledge allowed, but suspension/gearing /set up knowledge is?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mytwocents
Just making sure i am reading this correctly . . .
So unless everyone else you race with runs the red dot motor is shouldn't be allowed according to your own definition of "spec" racing?
Did you actually read it?

Chassis, hops etc.. all regulated even the motors are all even. The motors are red dots, but they are hand out motors handed out that day and turned back in at the end of the night, no one owns their own motor- that's what he meant by That's Spec racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.