Red Dot Slash Motors- 12T Titan 550

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Dot Slash Motors- 12T Titan 550

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

At least you found something to do with all the old brushed motor tuning stuff! ha ha
Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I really enjoy sct but to me this just makes one more reason to run mod.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We've had such an enthusiastic response that we DOUBLED our January production run that ships next week.

Most of these have been sold on advance order, but there are still a few left.

Interested parties should shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]
Old 01-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
I also wrote over 175 technical articles for RCCA for 7 years in the 90's. So, I'm a hard core enthusiast and, over the years, I've learned a few things about these motors.
I might've came across several of your articles YEARS ago. I think it was an article on motor break-in tip, I could've swore it was written by a guy who called himself "Doc."

It was a great article. I hope your company thrives. Anyone in this HOBBY is part of the "haves." Some kids in other parts of the world wishes for a decent meal and a place to stay.

I wonder if I can find that old article, it would reveal one of your secret sauces?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

do these last any longer than a regular titan? that's the main reason i quit racing and sold my slash. although, my local track adopted the 17.5 brushless rule....so either way i'm getting back into it.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Ok we know it's Faster

What batterys are you using with these red dots? And what other tricks? Thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

anyone who has bought/run these red dot slash motors care to give a testimonial? i am willing to drop the money and order, but i would love to hear first hand how these perform against a nib motor.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Same here on feedback. Plus, do you send info with them on maintenance?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jk racing
anyone who has bought/run these red dot slash motors care to give a testimonial? i am willing to drop the money and order, but i would love to hear first hand how these perform against a nib motor.
I've been running Red Dot Motors in my TCS cars for sometime now and late last summer he and I started brainstorming on whether what he has done with Mabuchi motors would work on these. See I was planning on attending the Short Course Nationals out in CT. A couple weeks before it we started talking, had some ideas and he sent me some things to test. Well I gotta say HOLY COW! He told me exactly what to do, how to do it, and it did the trick. I don't know there was another Slash as fast down the back straight as my truck was, plus the punch was remarkable as well. I'm glad that I was able to provide the feedback I was and help Doug out. I was able to qualify in the A-main (I think I qualified 7th and finished 5th...or I may have qualified 5th and finished 7th, don't recall but I know out of almost 50-guys to make the show was huge!) thanks to Red Dot Motors. Now since then I am sure Doug has done even more testing and improving on his tuning process. You guys will not be disappointed.

Originally Posted by alteredbob
What batterys are you using with these red dots? And what other tricks? Thanks
I ran Losi 4400 30C LiPos with mine at the SC Nats. I've since picked up some Reedy 5000 35C and Thunder Power 40Cs. I haven't had a chance to run the Titan 550 since the SC Nats though as the other races I've been to I've run 17.5.

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
I might've came across several of your articles YEARS ago. I think it was an article on motor break-in tip, I could've swore it was written by a guy who called himself "Doc."

It was a great article. I hope your company thrives. Anyone in this HOBBY is part of the "haves." Some kids in other parts of the world wishes for a decent meal and a place to stay.

I wonder if I can find that old article, it would reveal one of your secret sauces?
Doug = Doc He is the one and only RC Car Doctor. I know what article you're talking about...trust me when I say things have changed a lot since then LOL. Doc is actually the reason I got into writing and the reason I am where I am now. He's a class act.

And don't forget...

Red Dot Motors- When Too Much Power Feels...just about right
Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I too am against this. This is the whole reason I joined spec slash racing. I don't want to dump $300 into a brushless system to hang with the fast guys. So now people are dropping double of what a new one costs just to get an edge? It goes back to whoever spends more wins. I can't justify the doubled price and I don't like how the playing field will be uneven giving an advantage to those who spend more $$$....my .02
Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I totally understand your feelings maxair, but here's how I look at it. One guy can go out and buy 4, 5, 6 motors just in an effort to try to find one "good" one. You're talking $100-$150 just to try to find one good one. The Red Dot motors come out of the box ready to rock. There are those out there, like me, who have the knowledge and will use it in spec classes for an advantage. What Doug has done is, if anything, leveled the playing field by making this end-result available to anyone who wants it. Sure, they're more expensive than the out of the box motor, but Doug hand-tunes and dynos each and every motor. His time, knowledge, experience and tuning are worth something. Instead of spending a few hours tuning and tweaking the motor myself I'd rather give Doug the money, save me the time and aggravation of messing with something that may end up being a dog in the long run regardless of what I do to it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Were does that leave the kid w/ a bone stock Slash racing spec class because that's all he can afford?

Again, a perfect example of why the Slash "spec" class is a total failure.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

its not only the slash class.

its every spec class in the world. even the kid that can only afford a box stock kit, is still gona look for the lil things to make it faster.

its no diffrent than us 12 years ago sticking bolink ledgends in the oven, getting them hot and twisting the hell out of them. it was a way to tweak the chassis, and it gained about 4 laps over the non tweaked cars.

so if your not buying a red dot motor, your doing something else behind closed doors to try to get that edge.

i'll be interested in one of these motors this spring.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

if bumps and jumps in PA is a barometer of how good slash spec racing is, idk what is.

most kids with stock as the box slashes (or strikes, blitz, etc) are usually runnin in the spec class whereas more advanced runners are in the pro slash (or pro corr) class. trucks are the same. yeh pros are dabblin w/oils and wrenchin those turnbuckles far more...but it works disturbingly well. besides the kid with the basic truck is not goin to get faster/better than the next guy b/c of a motor. many of them are merely learning how to drive, then how to race.

R
Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxair45
I too am against this. This is the whole reason I joined spec slash racing. I don't want to dump $300 into a brushless system to hang with the fast guys. So now people are dropping double of what a new one costs just to get an edge? It goes back to whoever spends more wins. I can't justify the doubled price and I don't like how the playing field will be uneven giving an advantage to those who spend more $$$....my .02
This is on no way to offend doc, but there are other guys out there that still have the old equipment and know the brushed motor magic.

What's to say they aren't doing the same thing?

You're only going to get truly equal motors if you do as they in Doc's Senior Spec class. He tunes all the motors, so they are equal, then they are pulled out a box and returned each race night.

Otherwise even out of the box they aren't equal. Another nice thing is unlike indoor carpet and whats going on in VTA, no matter how fast your Slash motor is, dirt and traction equalizes most of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.