Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas GTR shock set on rear of Slash

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Default Traxxas GTR shock set on rear of Slash

I am pretty sure it has been done, I am having trouble figuring out what lower eye to use on the shock to get the correct length.

I jump and bash a fairly stock Slash and would like to beef up the rear shocks, planning to do some tweaks to the big bores and see what that does but wondered about installing a set of the GTR shocks.

Thoughts? ... ideas?

I will see about getting a set of calipers from work and jotting down some measurements later this week.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VSroller
I am pretty sure it has been done, I am having trouble figuring out what lower eye to use on the shock to get the correct length.

I jump and bash a fairly stock Slash and would like to beef up the rear shocks, planning to do some tweaks to the big bores and see what that does but wondered about installing a set of the GTR shocks.

Thoughts? ... ideas?

I will see about getting a set of calipers from work and jotting down some measurements later this week.

I believe they will be to short. Might work in the front though.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowboard094
I believe they will be to short. Might work in the front though.
They will absolutely be WAY too short.

Slash rear shocks and T/Emaxx shocks are virtually identical. Revo/Jato shocks are very short in comparison.

I just ordered a set of Losi 8Ight shocks for my Mod Slash. Hoping to get them here soon. If I can find a new BL ESC for it I will let you know how it does.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
They will absolutely be WAY too short.

Slash rear shocks and T/Emaxx shocks are virtually identical. Revo/Jato shocks are very short in comparison.

I just ordered a set of Losi 8Ight shocks for my Mod Slash. Hoping to get them here soon. If I can find a new BL ESC for it I will let you know how it does.
The 8ight shocks are amazing on the slash. Absolutely the best investment i made on my slash.
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas GTR shock set on rear of Slash-slash-1.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snowboard094
The 8ight shocks are amazing on the slash. Absolutely the best investment i made on my slash.
Very nice. I can't WAIT!

Sadly my Sidewinder ESC broke in half last Saturday at the races though so even when they get here it will be out of action for a little while.

On top of that my wife is being induced Friday to have our first child (IT'S A BOY!) so that's gonna keep me outta the race scene for a couple weeks but once I'm back it will be AWESOME!

You should really get the 17mm hub conversion for that truck and some buggy wheels.

That is the best mod I've even seen/done to any Slash. I've got an extra set NIB for sale for $30 shipped if interested.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
Very nice. I can't WAIT!

Sadly my Sidewinder ESC broke in half last Saturday at the races though so even when they get here it will be out of action for a little while.

On top of that my wife is being induced Friday to have our first child (IT'S A BOY!) so that's gonna keep me outta the race scene for a couple weeks but once I'm back it will be AWESOME!

You should really get the 17mm hub conversion for that truck and some buggy wheels.

That is the best mod I've even seen/done to any Slash. I've got an extra set NIB for sale for $30 shipped if interested.
Congrats on the baby boy!

Yeah The switchs are terrible, and i learned that fast. I put some goosebumps on it and they were much better. Unfortunately i sold that truck and bought a slayer. But i do run buggy tires on it.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I've got Jato shocks (same length as GTR shocks) on the front and rear of a Slash. But the setup is designed to grealy lower the car (and stiffen the suspension) for oval racing and street bashing. I had to make a shock tower extension for the front to raise the top mounting point.

You can't get more stroke, but I think you can get more length for the rears by using Ofna shock shafts from one of their 1/8th scale buggies (with external limiters to keep from puncturing the bladder). I haven't tried this yet because I am satisfied with the setup I have now.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ta_man
I've got Jato shocks (same length as GTR shocks) on the front and rear of a Slash. But the setup is designed to grealy lower the car (and stiffen the suspension) for oval racing and street bashing. I had to make a shock tower extension for the front to raise the top mounting point.

You can't get more stroke, but I think you can get more length for the rears by using Ofna shock shafts from one of their 1/8th scale buggies (with external limiters to keep from puncturing the bladder). I haven't tried this yet because I am satisfied with the setup I have now.
Thanks Snow! He will be here Friday/Saturday!

I know in R/C any crazy customization is possible and I'm sure everyone has their reasons.
There is a guy at our local track who bought 8 MSR6 Revo piggyback shocks and stuck them on his Emaxx to "lower it"
Looks absolutely ridiculous and handles like a skyscraper on wheels.

That is a good idea with the Ofna shafts. May look into that.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Addict

My thought was to replace the lower shaft rod end with a longer one to lengthen the shock. This also gets the springs away from the drive shaft. I have not had time to measure things yet but do have the tools to do so, will get it done asap
Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

ok here goes more info ... came across something that I had not thought about. The measure of a part with an eye is total length or length to middle of eye.

for instance

this is from Tower;

"Ofna Arm Ball End Plastic 3.5mm CRT.5" is the part and here are the notes;

These are 3.5mm Arm Ball Ends Ofna CRT.5 Truggy.
FEATURES: Black plastic construction
INCLUDES: Two 3.5mm arm ball end
REQUIRES: Installation on the Truggy
SPECS: Length: .86" (22mm) <is this the total length or length to eye center?>
Width at largest point: .39" (10mm)
Inside diameter: .23" (6mm)

I measured the Ultra rear shock, total length is 110mm. eye to eye length is closer to 102mm

the GTR is 96mm total and ~86mm eye to eye

The lower rod mount on the GTR is 19mm total length and ~13.5mm top to mid-eye or eye center line, with a 3.5mm shaft

What is the acceptable measure of a shock for length? (total or eye mid-point)
Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Still seems too short. 102 to 86 is roughly 3/4" difference.

Has anybody thought of using XXXT or T4 shocks? I have a set of non-threaded body XXXT laying around which look like the same diameter and a lot closer to the right length. I want to try, but our local track only allows stock ultras in the stock class. I bet they wouldn't leak like the stock ones do. Not to mention be a lot smoother and more adjustable.