Wiki Posts
Search

Starter box battery question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Starter box battery question

Hey all. I have the Ofna truggy Start box for my 8ight 2.0.

this past weekend i was using some regular stick packs and well my box didnt make it for the full event.

I know lipo is the way to go but given lipos and thier nature as well as seeing a lipo puff up on someone in thier starter box this weekend, I started to look around for batteries to use.

I was looking at the 12V gel battery and it has a nice price too it .. i was looking at the one web site hobby king and took a look at thier lipos as well as stormer hobbies.

Now i know the whole saying is you get what you pay for but im looking for suggestions on the way to go. Im tending to lean towards the 12v gel battery.

If you have a lipo that would be good for this use and last me the full racing day can you help me make a choice? if you have a link on what to use please post as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you go gel cell, pop for a float style charger. You leave the cell on a float charger all the time and it keeps the cell optimized. Harbor freight has them for $8 or $9. I get couple of years out of mine this way.

I know they're heavy, but mine easily last a full day. Lipo is much lighter, but lots more expensive and if you don't have a lipo capable charger and balancer, it adds to it.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This pack will be perfect for your starter box.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store..._25C_Lipo_Pack

it will last all day.

If you are worried about over discharging and ruining your pack use one of these,

http://www.maxamps.com/4S-LVA.htm