Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SLASH vs SC10 Shoot Out Article

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Default SLASH vs SC10 Shoot Out Article

Okay Short Course Off-road Truck Guys and Gals...Great article in the latest edition of Radio Control Car Action Magazine...Traxxas Slash vs SC10 in a "lets settle this and rid all speculations" head to head shoot out...Results = Both trucks performed in the same ball park and are very much capable of competing with each other in SC Offroad races. The SC10 was a "tick" faster, the Slash was more forgiving, as quoted from the test drivers. Some were better with the Slash, some were better with the SC10...Not going to spoil the inner details of the article, so when you get the chance, check out page 61 of the latest (October) edition of the Radio Control Car Action Magazine. Slash, SC10, Strike, Blitz...hey, let em race...The better drivers will always shine no matter which of these SC platforms they prefer.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJ919
The better drivers will always shine no matter which of these SC platforms they prefer.
You said it right there buddy... +1

Even when the first RC10 hit the streets, there were some skilled drivers that would still own the RC10 drivers with the venerable Tamiya Frog, which was the staple before AE days...

Honestly though, I look at parts support more so than any minor mechanical difference...

Used to be a tough decision between Losi stuff and AE stuff, now it's a no-brainer after Horizon's take over of Losi (and Horizon's unfriendly distribution policy)...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

is this online or can someone scan it from the mag.?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
is this online or can someone scan it from the mag.?
I believe You have to be a subscriber to their digital edition to see it online.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

After reading the article and making comparisons, the Slash seems like the better deal. SC10 has got some trick options like the mud flaps, the Lipo cutoff & the body lids are pretty neat. Even though I don't own a SC10 it looks like a good truck. I love my Slash- just added a few RPM parts, VXL & Lipo and the thing rocks!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

anytime rc car action does one of these head to head shootouts there really isn't a clear cut winner. it seems to me that if they were be completly unbiased in the reporting then they could come to a clear winner.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

^^ Well, for model builders like myself, the SC10 is the obvious (and only) choice, as I do not need the instant gratification of an RTR/RTB. For me, the build is half the fun..

"All good things come to those who wait"
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is never a clear cut winner in those head-to-head comparisons. If there were, you would risk alienating your paying advertisers not to mention the loads of hate mail that is generated when the articles come out. The best you can say about those articles is to try and learn something for them, weigh the pros and cons of each product and purchase what is right for you.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I had a slash a few times, now I am going to have a sc10 with traxxas speed control and motor. I would like to see the pros and cons of each. I think the best way to decide it is try each one your self if you plan on racing, most times if you go to the track, some ould let you try one. I had bought many r/cs becasue they looked cool or for some other reason, but when I got to drive it sucked for what ever reason.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

slash didn't do too well at the nat's.....

it really needs a lipo cutoff so the new people running them don't start fires....
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Were the two compared box stock with their own tires? I'm sure my copy is sitting at home, but I won't get to grab it until thursday.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayL
slash didn't do too well at the nat's.....

it really needs a lipo cutoff so the new people running them don't start fires....
Personally I don't think the Slash should be a highly recommended truck for new racers. Not in its stock form. I'm still trying to understand that philosophy... I can't speak for other short course racing trucks, but if they run and handle like the Slash, you actually will need a little wheel and trigger experience, if you want to race well. I'm actually racing mine to help hoane in on driving skills for when I go back to racing platforms with actual grip. (Im just getting back into RC racing.) In my opinion, because of its lack of racing dial in options, and comforts, the Stock Slash is a great "punching bag" to get you ready for the big fights. Its a cool learning tool... The contradiction is that it can easily frustrait a new racer and maybe chase them away from the hobby. New racers need grip. Just my opinion.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJ919
Personally I don't think the Slash should be a highly recommended truck for new racers. Not in its stock form. I'm still trying to understand that philosophy... I can't speak for other short course racing trucks, but if they run and handle like the Slash, you actually will need a little wheel and trigger experience, if you want to race well. I'm actually racing mine to help hoane in on driving skills for when I go back to racing platforms with actual grip. (Im just getting back into RC racing.) In my opinion, because of its lack of racing dial in options, and comforts, the Stock Slash is a great "punching bag" to get you ready for the big fights. Its a cool learning tool... The contradiction is that it can easily frustrait a new racer and maybe chase them away from the hobby. New racers need grip. Just my opinion.
IMO, the BEST thing any nOOb can do to help gain experience and knowledge into this hobby/sport is to purchase a kit and build it!

I started at 13 years old and built my first Tamiya Grasshopper and my first RC10. I took it one step at a time, payed attention to the instructions, and in the end I had not only a working RC car, but I also had a very good understanding as to how they worked and what I would need to do to fix them when that time came.

25 years later, I'm still in the hobby. RTR is a bane to the sport.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

I read the article and race in the stock slash class also. I feel it was a fair article as I sometime race against the sc10s. when there's not enough sc10s or slashes they throw is all together. At most of our levels we wouldnt notice the difference driving either truck. At a nationals event, the truck are built up the the factory mechanic. The team drivers could drive circles around most of us, so who won the SC national class is really not an fair comparison.

I am a noob at off road, and on my second complete race, I won my main. and there were sc10 and slashes in there way faster than my truck. I could see them coming, then they would dissappear! (crashed) I was driving what I thought was very slow, half throttle in all the corners, full throttle only halfway down the straight and coasting the corners. but I was passing cars and lapping Slashes and SC10s. To be fair a couple were first timers and I was a second timer.

I believe that the slash is a very good entry level car. Mine was rtr but I have gone thru the entire drive train, chassis and shocks several times. The slash can take a hit and will teach throttle and steering control. The main thing going for the slash is that most race tracks have a box stock class for Slash only. This a great class for begginers to learn to race.

The sC10 are usually in the open class where anything goes. Originally I wanted the SC10 because it is a better design but didn't want to compete in the open class untill I could learn to drive off road.

I hope to buy an SC10 in a couple of months, but i may instead convert my SC8 to an SCE and run in the open class.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
You said it right there buddy... +1

Even when the first RC10 hit the streets, there were some skilled drivers that would still own the RC10 drivers with the venerable Tamiya Frog, which was the staple before AE days...

Honestly though, I look at parts support more so than any minor mechanical difference...

Used to be a tough decision between Losi stuff and AE stuff, now it's a no-brainer after Horizon's take over of Losi (and Horizon's unfriendly distribution policy)...
Is that why Tower doesn't carry Losi stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.