R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Jammin SCRT10 Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/317104-jammin-scrt10-thread.html)

blade329 10-29-2009 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crawler (Post 6537691)
The decision is definitely tough, that's for sure!

I am still leaning toward the Jammin over the Ofna at this point. Luckily(unluckily?) the rain has been so steady over the last month and w/ winter coming soon, I won't be doing much racing anytime soon so I have the luxury to wait a bit before I make my 4x4 SC purchase.

Maybe I will get both and keep the one I like best. Unfortunately, that would mean selling one or more of my existing trucks. All of which I like.

airwoods 10-29-2009 01:08 PM

Sure these are all 4wd but the slash 4wd i think is geared towards basher/racer and jammin/ofna pure racer.I would chose the traxxes if i just wanted to play and race for fun and not get to competitive but if one wanted to be competitive and see how far he can go with it definatly the jammin or ofna.I may eat my words though when we do see a 4wd slash with bowties all around and a good driver on a good track like weve seen the ofna and jammin run,but it seems like most people that buy slashes and this new 4wd slash are more bashers and when you see the new 4wd slash run on a track most will be like most slash drivers, beginner racers and hackers.

Crawler 10-29-2009 01:21 PM

If I were to rate my interest at this point in time from 1 to 100.

1. Jammin SCRT10 = 100
2. Ofna Hyper 10 SC = 94
3. Other ??? = 75
3. Traxxas Slash 4x4 = 27

I was interested when the Slash 4x4 was first annouced, but after seeing the Jammin and Hyper I've lost any really interested in a ready to run basher/racer w/ RTR electronics, no center diff, and a higher CG.

That said, I'm sure the Slash 4x4 will be a hit and Traxxas will sell a ton of them.

I just hope other compainies follow Jammin's lead and enter the 4x4 SC class as well!:nod:

blade329 10-29-2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Crawler (Post 6537908)
If I were to rate my interest at this point in time from 1 to 100.

1. Jammin SCRT10 = 100
2. Ofna Hyper 10 SC = 94
3. Other ??? = 75
3. Traxxas Slash 4x4 = 27

I was interested when the Slash 4x4 was first annouced, but after seeing the Jammin and Hyper I've lost any really interested in a ready to run basher/racer w/ RTR electronics, no center diff, and a higher CG.

That said, I'm sure the Slash 4x4 will be a hit and Traxxas will sell a ton of them.

I just hope other compainies follow Jammin's lead and enter the 4x4 SC class as well!:nod:

Well, the stock electronics on the Slash are very good. The VXL is a good brushless system with plenty of power. I do believe that the Slash does have a lower CG than it's 2WD counterpart. This truck is not a souped up Slash, it is a total redesign.

That being said, the SCRT will probably be the better option for someone who already has all the electronics ready to go. Argh! I may have to get both of these beasts. :p

Crawler 10-29-2009 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by blade329 (Post 6537993)
Well, the stock electronics on the Slash are very good. The VXL is a good brushless system with plenty of power. I do believe that the Slash does have a lower CG than it's 2WD counterpart. This truck is not a souped up Slash, it is a total redesign.

That being said, the SCRT will probably be the better option for someone who already has all the electronics ready to go. Argh! I may have to get both of these beasts. :p

The RTR Slash 4x4 electronics are not bad as RTR electronics go. I just don't need a TQ 2.4 when I have a DX3R and multiple Rx's, the VXL motor is great, I use one on my SC10, but I think I'm going to run my Nue motor in my 4x4 SC as I feel it will be more reliable. I don't care for the VXL ESC, I prefer my Castle units, but that's just personal preference. So for someone just entering the sport, a RTR Slash if a good gateway rig. It's just not aimed at users like myself.

It's true that the 4x has a better CG that the 2x Slash, but it's still not as low as the others and it lacks the all important center diff.

Krio 10-29-2009 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Crawler (Post 6538050)
It's true that the 4x has a better CG that the 2x Slash, but it's still not as low as the others and it lacks the all important center diff.

Screw center diffs. Give me a one way! :sneaky:

SirSpeedy 10-29-2009 02:25 PM

We don't run center diffs in 1/10 scale 4wheel drive vehicles, and we should not need them in 1/8th either. That is a simple fact - all things are equal, the car is just scaled up slightly.

Crawler 10-29-2009 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by SirSpeedy (Post 6538119)
We don't run center diffs in 1/10 scale 4wheel drive vehicles, and we should not need them in 1/8th either. That is a simple fact - all things are equal, the car is just scaled up slightly.

The Jammin and Ofna are scaled up from their 1/12 offerings. They are very close in size to 1/8 buggies, just lighter. I think the center diff will prove to be more relaible over time.

Krio 10-29-2009 02:35 PM

That's kinda exactly why center diffs are in larger scales...because they are scaled up. Full size cars would blow without center diffs.

SirSpeedy 10-29-2009 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Crawler (Post 6538140)
The Jammin and Ofna are scaled up from their 1/12 offerings. They are very close in size to 1/8 buggies, just lighter. I think the center diff will prove to be more relaible over time.

I understand all vehicles in question, where they are from, based on etc. The center diff in a 1/8th offroad car is huge consumer of energy, but its somewhat necessary given the extremly over-powered nature of the .21 engines we run today.

The current electric 1/8th cars are conveted gas platforms, which are far too heavy for that purpose, and made heavier by the larger motors and dual batteries. If we can win a world championship with a 7.5turn 540-size brushless motor, then a 1/8th vehicle with fiber diff gears, smaller lighter weight gear diffs, normal diameter shocks, - things to make it much lighter - can be competitively powered by a 3.5-4.5T brushless motor, convential sized ESC and a 2 cell lipo.

markhat250 10-29-2009 03:34 PM

Once I put in my Neu motor (11xx or 14xx), Mamba Max Pro, nice servo, nice Futaba Rx, in the Jammin, it will be in a completley different league than the RTR Traxxas offering........but it will also be twice the cash $$.

I've just decided I don't want to have the "grass is greener" feelings if I bought a Slash and then saw my buddies SICK Jammin with no compromise electronics. So I'm going SCRT. Nothing against the Slash, cuz at that price point nothing will touch it. I just want the car that is going to be super deluxe, zero compromises.

So now if Jammin would just get their arse moving!! They released that old picture like 2 years ago??? I keeed.

Both cars will rock. One will also rock your wallet......but not leaving you wanting more. You complete me.

R40Victim 10-29-2009 07:08 PM

OK, put play doh in your center diff, and we'll run diff lube. Lemme know how that thing corners for you.

markhat250 10-29-2009 09:54 PM

Hey Jammin guys (not sure who's who), was that a 6.5 Ballistic Novak in the YouTube vid?

I'm trying to get a feel for how much power this car "can or will" accept.

I'm doing a Neu motor and want to get the build started, but would love any input first. To me a typical Novak, 540 can, 6.5 Ballistic, would probably do the trick on a nice groomed shorter track (like the one you were on). But what about the slightly loamy, longer 1/8 scale tracks, where your once rocketship power is now seemingly not as fast as you remember it being. Know what I mean?

Also, what pitch is the middle gear? 32 like the Traxxas?

I hope these arn't "spy" type questions. I'm merely trying to get a feel of what motor to buy. I won't hold you responsible :) I already have a real good idea. Thanks.

Crawler 10-29-2009 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by markhat250 (Post 6540136)
Hey Jammin guys (not sure who's who), was that a 6.5 Ballistic Novak in the YouTube vid?

I'm trying to get a feel for how much power this car "can or will" accept.

I'm doing a Neu motor and want to get the build started, but would love any input first. To me a typical Novak, 540 can, 6.5 Ballistic, would probably do the trick on a nice groomed shorter track (like the one you were on). But what about the slightly loamy, longer 1/8 scale tracks, where your once rocketship power is now seemingly not as fast as you remember it being. Know what I mean?

Also, what pitch is the middle gear? 32 like the Traxxas?

I hope these arn't "spy" type questions. I'm merely trying to get a feel of what motor to buy. I won't hold you responsible :) I already have a real good idea. Thanks.

Not sure on the motor, but I believe the gears are Mod 1.

You can purchase adaptors and run the 1/8 pinions or Robinson makes them for the smaller 3.17 shafts used on 540 type motors.

t3gt 10-30-2009 06:47 AM

I'm Really Diggin this truck...Looks like the closest layout to my SC8, which I'm hoping that it will handle the same, mostly...I'll have to get this BadBoy!!!:nod: