Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated SC8-E

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Team Associated SC8-E

Since I didn't see one I figured I would start a thread. I have one coming in on Tuesday and plan to do a build thread on it. I am going to be using a Castle Mamba Monster 2200kv system in mine with 4s4200mah 35c Hyperion Lipo's. If anyone has built one and has any tips please feel free to post them.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have one. the build is pretty simple and strait forward. only thing i ran into a problem with is when i mounted my mamba 2200 motor when the center diff and motor mount was already mounted to the chassis because the motor hits the chassis. the motor might even be a mm or two too big but if u do as i did below it seems to fit but the motor will be snug against the chassis.

if you mount the motor and set your gear mesh prior to intalling the center diff and motor mount assembly it will be much easier.

also since your using a mamba system like me, youl notice that the wire to the reciever from the esc is a tad short to run it through the wire tunnels to the radio box.

this can be fixed by running the wires thru the tunels under the battery tray but rather than going over the axle in front of the center diff, you can run it under the chassis brace which will give you alot more slack.

i also used the traxxas e-revo MMM esc mount and trimmed the battery esc tray on the very back so i can mount the esc a lil farther back.

i used the trx esc mount because it has a nice esc switch mount which makes wire cleanliness very easy.

also the stock 15t pinion seems to be a sweet spot if you run normal timing,

other than that enjoy its a blast!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Raydee... your really making me want to build on of these. God let the tc4 and my new truggy be enough to keep me happy!
Old 06-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Chris, its RC...man its never enough. If I listed the RC cars that I have owned in the last 25 years it would make your head spin. The worst part is at 35 years old I am still buying and selling RC cars, trucks, heli's and boats like a maniac
Look for a USPS confirmation number tonight when I make up the shipping label.

Kyle thanks for the info. Do you have to remove the diff everytime you take the motor out? I heard that the 2200 Neu (mamba) motor was a tight fit but this is the first i am hearing that you have to remove the diff for it to fit right.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

i guess you dont have to remove the whole thing but ud def have to loosen the assembly to mount the motor. but the other big reason i did it by removing the center diff/ motor plate is because you cant get hex drivers in there theres not enuff room. you could use an L shaped allen key bit itd be difficult.

romoving the diff assembly isnt bad at all, its 4 screws and by doing that itl allow you to get the bolt in the motor nice and tight with ease, you will also be able to set the gear mesh real easy, then all you do is mount the whole thing back on the chassis.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

That doesn't sound difficult at all. I just got my Mamba Monster system in today, hopefully the SC8-E will be in tomorrow and I can get to building. DO you have any suggestions for the Monster system? Is the pinion that comes in the kit usefull?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

the stock pinion gear works great for me.

if youre lookin to use it for track use itd be a great set up or atleast a great starting point depending on size of track.

my complete set up is as followes...

mmm 2200
stock pinion
stock spur
2 core 2s 5000mah lipos

the esc settings...

punch control is off
starting power is on high
timing is on normal
... thats about all that would effect how it performs

also dont use high starting power unless the lipos you are using have a c rating around 25+
Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

oh and the turnbuckle wrench that comes with it is useless. i went to sears and picked up a metric carb wrench set as the turnbuckles are 5.5mm and this made is much much much easier to set the alignment.

the shock oil is a tad light. i used 35wt

also the forward brake reverse settting on the esc is crap. as soon when you hit the brakes the wheels will instantly stop truck still moving forward of course and then go to reverse and make you lose control

if u are gonna use reverse use the revers lockout setting as it will not go to reverse until u are neutral for 2 seconds
Old 06-16-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Does anyone know if reg 1/8th scale wheels and tires fit the SC8? I have a bunch left over from the old days that I wouldn't mind getting some use out of.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

yep they will fit im running a set of proline revolver v3's on mine now for the track. the truck handles much better but looks less realistic
Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Great. I just got word that my kit in here today so it looks like the build will start tonight
Old 06-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just finished mine last night. Pretty simple build, I didn't come across any problems. When I mounted my Mamba Monster I did have to remove the center diff to ease the installation though. I am going to take it to the track tonight. I drove it up the street a couple of times last night, and let me tell you this thing hauls a**. I put the recommended 25 wt. shock oil in, but I think it needs at least 40 wt. I will test it tonight and see how it is.

I am running:
2200 kv Mamba Monster
4s 5400mah 40c SMC Lipo
Stock Spur
Stock Pinion
Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

I got started on mine last night. The build is going pretty fast, i got the front and back end done already. I like the way the diffs are already built as well as most of the tie rods and arms, that will def save some time.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

All done, just need to paint the body and install my electronic's.

I did notice that the drivetrain is very loud just rolling it on the ground. I checked the pinion mesh and it looks good. Did ayone else notice that? It may just need to breakin a bit?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

its because of the motor. mine does it as well it only does it when u push it, when ur driving it it doesnt make any noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.