R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Anyone tried water cooling their electric motor? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/289026-anyone-tried-water-cooling-their-electric-motor.html)

arcarle 04-10-2009 04:12 PM

Anyone tried water cooling their electric motor?

I have seen alot of people with heat troubles lately. Wether it be gearing or whatever. I was wondering if anyone has attempted a water cooled system with their car. If anyone knows of a system like this I would be interested to see/hear about it.

beginner4life 04-10-2009 04:15 PM

with a decent system you shouldn't need it. What systems have been overheating?

arcarle 04-10-2009 04:33 PM

well, mostly I have been seeing complaints of bashers with MM5700's and such (mainly just the higher rpm motors in the hands of bashers, MM is just an example). Which may not be such a hot choice of power systems to bash with anyways unless you gear it into the basement :D It just seemed like it may be fun to have a creative project. I was just wondering if it had been done a lot already and if so how did it work out for them and such.

nc-hopsing 04-10-2009 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by arcarle (Post 5667698)
I have seen alot of people with heat troubles lately. Wether it be gearing or whatever. I was wondering if anyone has attempted a water cooled system with their car. If anyone knows of a system like this I would be interested to see/hear about it.

Google is your friend.....;)

Here you go.......:D
http://www.tcscooling.com/

badassrevo 04-10-2009 04:46 PM

There is a thread on here too.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ng-system.html

UltegraSTI 04-10-2009 04:50 PM

paragon had a kit to do this back in the late 80s. tubing wound around the motor back then. i'm really dating myself but back then, they had 4 key products that made em rich. the motor cooling kit, ground effects, their pinion tree, and of course......jump jets

R

arcarle 04-10-2009 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by badassrevo (Post 5667795)

Cool so someone has thought of it but has anyone applied it to a car/truck?

Originally Posted by nc-hopsing (Post 5667784)
Google is your friend.....;)

Here you go.......:D
http://www.tcscooling.com/

Too expensive. I could build it much cheaper. Besides isnt working on the r/c's 1/2 the fun if not more :D The pump is the only part to buy. Even there non conductive coolant can be easily mixed yourself. It's basically Ethylene glycol and salt water.

Good find on the site and thread about it though. Thanks guys. They sell the pump separate but I may be able to find that cheaper as well. We shall see. I'm gonna try it I think. More research first though.

ice-nine 04-10-2009 06:56 PM

Depending on what scale you want to apply this too, you have a number of technical challenges to deal with, but it's cool to do stuff just to do it, too! :)

Anybody who works with water cooling for computers knows how delicate tubing, fittings, radiators, etc, are. In a static environment, fittings still come loose. What are they going to do under heavy vibration, and how well will the system absorb impacts in a rc car, especially since the delicate radiator will probably be put right up front? Not very well, I think.

I would think that anything up to 1/10 scale, unless the system is put into a monster truck or something that could properly house and protect the unit, the whole thing would be pointless. In most cars, you don't have enough room to properly work, you need a good sized radiator, and a decent sized pump too. At eight scale, you're closer, and at quarter scale, if you wanted a quarter scale electric, I imagine that you could put a full roll cage around the thing, and the weight would not be as much a factor.

Heat is an issue, but gearing back and providing better cooling channels is probably a better solution than adding the weight, complexity, and power draw of water cooling.

By all means, I would love to see it, I just don't think it's very practical. If someone did liquid nitrogen or phase change too, it would be awesome, but those would be even less practical!

One thing that would also be cool to see is heat pipes, as used by many modern motherboards connecting northbridge, southbridge, fets, and cpu, in this case connecting speed control and motor. That should be able to be done in a pretty size efficient manner, I would think.

JoshM20 04-10-2009 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by ice-nine (Post 5668242)
Depending on what scale you want to apply this too, you have a number of technical challenges to deal with, but it's cool to do stuff just to do it, too! :)

Anybody who works with water cooling for computers knows how delicate tubing, fittings, radiators, etc, are. In a static environment, fittings still come loose. What are they going to do under heavy vibration, and how well will the system absorb impacts in a rc car, especially since the delicate radiator will probably be put right up front? Not very well, I think.

I would think that anything up to 1/10 scale, unless the system is put into a monster truck or something that could properly house and protect the unit, the whole thing would be pointless. In most cars, you don't have enough room to properly work, you need a good sized radiator, and a decent sized pump too. At eight scale, you're closer, and at quarter scale, if you wanted a quarter scale electric, I imagine that you could put a full roll cage around the thing, and the weight would not be as much a factor.

Heat is an issue, but gearing back and providing better cooling channels is probably a better solution than adding the weight, complexity, and power draw of water cooling.

By all means, I would love to see it, I just don't think it's very practical. If someone did liquid nitrogen or phase change too, it would be awesome, but those would be even less practical!

One thing that would also be cool to see is heat pipes, as used by many modern motherboards connecting northbridge, southbridge, fets, and cpu, in this case connecting speed control and motor. That should be able to be done in a pretty size efficient manner, I would think.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title. I don't think 10/ or 8th scale application would be practical.. Let alone that system seems simple and overpriced. But for offroad the beating the chassis gets would end in a very wet car and fryed ESC and Reciever. I think it may be better in TC or something.

The heat pipes would be interesting to test :nod:

ifuonlyknew 04-11-2009 03:29 AM

Here you go, Fine Design did.

arcarle 04-11-2009 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew (Post 5669461)
Here you go, Fine Design did.

DANG IT!!! That's exactly what I had envisioned. Two aluminum tubing coils one around motor and one acting as radiator. Fuel tubing connecting the system to act as a vibration elimination. Not to mention no solid fittings to come loose. The fuel tube and aluminum could be clamped together. The TCS liquic cooling solution would be easy to duplicate. Eliminating the risk of ruining electrical components by using a non-conductive solution. I was looking at a mini pump similar to TCS's which draws about a 1/2 watt (almost nothing). The whole system should be less than 2 ounces (not including the fan). Too bad it's been done already. I still may do it just for the fun of the project :D We shall see I guess.

gweed 04-11-2009 11:19 AM

water coolng kits are for boats. tell your friend to gear it down some and it will be fine.

arcarle 04-11-2009 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by gweed (Post 5670504)
water coolng kits are for boats. tell your friend to gear it down some and it will be fine.

It's not really for my friend it's for me. I like to run about 6 packs consecutively. After 3-4 though you gotta let it cool down some before continuing. I would much rather run str8 thru. It's just an idea/project to have some fun with

gweed 04-11-2009 04:17 PM

whats ur gearing? cause i run my 10.5 novak and sphere with a 25t pinion and 78 spur when i practice staight for 2-3 hours just switching from 1 lipo to the next and my set up is around 100-120 degrees. Also where are u planning to keep the water and have it cold or cool? Its not practical