Search

1/8 Offroad Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As far as top level kits there are a bunch on the market:

Xray XB8 - comes with lots of goodies and is a nice buggy
Kyosho 777 Sp1 - pricey, but steers awesome...some are hopping it up right away still
Mugen MBX5 - basic or pro-spec, it's still a great buggy
TTR EB4-S3 - still waiting for them to show up in shops...but reports sound more favourable..support should be better than in the past
Ofna Hyper 7 Pro - competitive buggy for a few $$$ less than many
Ofna Jamin X1-CR Pro - new buggy from Jay Halsey - nice looking machine at a decent price

There are also buggies by Bergonzoni, and SVM that may be worth considering, however parts support may be an issue. GS has the Avenger, but I haven't seen or heard too much favourable on it yet, and there is rumoured to be a replacement already in the works.

If I forgot any, please don't be offended...just typed the list up quickly.

Take a peek at what is run locally at your track. Keep in mind that the Xray, Jammin and TTR buggies may not have been ppular previously...as some of them jsut didn't EXIST, but I suspect you'll be seeing and hearing a lot about these 3 buggies this coming year.

Personally, I bought an XB8 and the thing is great so nice to work on..everythign just fits together so well.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

I really like the look of the "Xray XB8", and the reviews are really good.....are parts available yet? Am I looking for $500+ for the kit also...?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

The cheapest I've seen the XB8 is $599 at Ultimate Hobbies.

It may drop in price after Christmas (as may many of the others)

If you're looking for a pro-level buggy for under $500 it may be worthwhile to check out the regular MBX-5....it doesn't have all the hopups with it,b ut it's swtill a sweet buggy and they can be had for some pretty wild deals now
Old 11-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
If you're looking for a pro-level buggy for under $500 it may be worthwhile to check out the regular MBX-5....it doesn't have all the hopups with it,b ut it's swtill a sweet buggy and they can be had for some pretty wild deals now
Thanks.....what are the real differences between the MBX-5, and the 300$+more "team car"?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Here is the link to the Pro-Spec section of Mugen USA's site

Note that it shows you the upgraded parts
Old 11-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the regular MBX5 is very competitive.. stock is better than most hopped up cars.. the ho bao (hyper 7's) are also very good.. I will not speak for others except the kyosho cars.. the kyosho drives well.. but the drawbacks are parts wear and replacement parts expense.. also, have had to use parts from the K2 and K3 kits to get the 777's to do what they want.. that means more $$

the TTR I've seen run many times with someone I drive with that runs for them.. the new car seems pretty nice.. but difficult to get dialed..

the Xray.. I would be afraid of getting one and not being able to get some $5 part for.. it looks good.. but all 1/8 class "looks" good..

the Jammin car.. who knows.. it also looks good..

my experience is either ofna, mugen, or kyosho are the choices.. the others are up in the air.. I drive a mugen and am amazed at its drivability and cost for parts if you ever need them.. mugens don't seem to wear out..

I would get the car that people at your track drive.. and one you can get parts for at your LHS..

if you need any assistance.. I know these cars pretty well and can be of help..

Ben
Old 11-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i dont know warpig my MBX5 was pretty worn out when i sold it

ive had mugen and kyosho and both were impressive

if your looking for something good but lower in price it may be a good idea to get a Kanai 2 or 3 a new K2 costs $430 at ultimate hobbies

there are alot of good choices in 1/8th buggy i am going to stick with kyosho for now but i see alot of other brands out there worthy of a good look

especially the new jammin car it looks like he took the best stuff off of the kyosho mugen and hyper 7 to come out with a nice looking car for a real good price
Old 11-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default Finally!!

Well I finally got myself a Hyper 7 PBS! I must say I was very impressed even from when I first opened the box. I got the RTR version because it fit my budget. I've been racing TCs, gp and ep, and I'm planning on getting some racing the the Hyper 7. I have a few questions first:

1. Are there any must have hop-ups or "fixes" for this buggy? The steering links/ toe links seem like they could use an upgrade. And I'm already going to upgrade the electronics.

2. Does anyone have a good set-up for the PBS? Delta (CA) is my closest track so hopefully some local guys can chime in.

3. Has anyone used the Werks 4 shoe clutch? Would you recommend it for this buggy. And what shoes would be best? (rulon, teflon, or carbon)

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Sny
Tech Initiate

There is NOTHING like the .21 buggies. (Except maybe tre truggies)

Check our track here:
http://www.pbase.com/sny/clubrace1
Old 11-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Finally!!

Originally posted by j240z
Well I finally got myself a Hyper 7 PBS! I must say I was very impressed even from when I first opened the box. I got the RTR version because it fit my budget. I've been racing TCs, gp and ep, and I'm planning on getting some racing the the Hyper 7. I have a few questions first:

1. Are there any must have hop-ups or "fixes" for this buggy? The steering links/ toe links seem like they could use an upgrade. And I'm already going to upgrade the electronics.

2. Does anyone have a good set-up for the PBS? Delta (CA) is my closest track so hopefully some local guys can chime in.

3. Has anyone used the Werks 4 shoe clutch? Would you recommend it for this buggy. And what shoes would be best? (rulon, teflon, or carbon)

Thanks!
Anyone.....?

Not too many 1/8 buggy guys here......?
Old 11-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by elokens
MBX5 Prospec Buggy from Mugen looks good....but the kit is a bit pricy.....is this about as good as I can get?
Look into the Mayhem Pro from Sportwerks. This kit is available without radio or engine for about $360 and comes assembled. With a 7 port .21 and pipe it's about $470 (street).The Mayhem comes with a generic setup with 30wt shock oil all around and 5k/5k/1k diff oil preinstalled. The Mayhem has lots of chassis setup options and good parts availability along with lots of hop up parts.
Just tonight I took 1st qualifier against another Mayhem, MBX5 Prospec, a MBX5, a Kyosho 777 and Hyper 7 among others. Some of these drivers have been driving RC for 20 yrs. The Mayhem has got to be the best bang for the buck at $360.
Like ALL other pro chassis, the Mayhem benefits from those who can change the chassis setup to track conditions. NO kit, including Kyosho, Mugen, Ofna and Xray is set up correctly out of the box for every track condition. Being able to change chassis setup to track conditions is one of the Mayhems strong points.
Pro drivers with factory sponsorship may look elsewhere, but most of the experienced drivers I know that run the Mayhem win week after week at local tracks at half the cost of the big boy kits. In addition, parts are readily available. If your LHS doesn't have them HorizonHobby.com has all the Mayhem parts in stock along with tons of upgrades like Titanium Nitride stuff, Graphite stuff, anti-roll bar options, etc.
Check it out at http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=SWK1100.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ive heard bad things about the werks clutch such as it adjusts itself automatically while you drive i think i was told it kept getting tighter and tighter and started slipping

i am using a fioroni turbo slidng clutch and i think its great its an mip style clutch except it doesnt use pins it has a special flywheel with 2 big things that the clutch slides in between the first day i used it i had a bit of bad luck landing on a exhaust spring right where the opening is in the chassis for the spur gear well long story short the engine would run and accellerate but the buggy wouldnt move this caused me to really heat the clutch up to the point i burnt myself on the clutch bell but didnt damage the clutch at all in fact i raced it 3 times following that incident before i even took the bell off to check the bearings
Old 11-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I also must send a plug out for the Mayhem. Once they got the production problems worked out they have been putting out some great buggys. I cant believe they can pack that many high quality features into a buggy and sell it for that price. Definately worth a 2nd...3rd look!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by PTP Racing
ive heard bad things about the werks clutch such as it adjusts itself automatically while you drive i think i was told it kept getting tighter and tighter and started slipping
Use either the OFNA or Mugen clutch with Mugen 1.1 springs or the heavy OFNA springs. I've used the Mugen aluminum clutch and Mugen 1.1 springs with great results but once you go aluminum the clutch bell can't be used for the standard clutches due to aluminum deposits on the inside of the clutch bell.

am using a fioroni turbo slidng clutch and i think its great its an mip style clutch except it doesnt use pins it has a special flywheel with 2 big things that the clutch slides in between
Where did you get that clutch?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am about to buy a crono rso1. I would like to get some opinions on the car and also find out where I can get parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.