Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HoBao Hyper 9E thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

those that are using the MMP with internal bec. did you remove the wires that came on the esc that are only 13gage? I have a tekin 1900 i plan to run on 4cell and the 13 gage looking small.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I run zippy packs that are 50mm wide so they need to go vertically, will they fit under the ve8 shell like this?

I run a turnigy external BEC when I need one.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by supafastsupra2
What radio system are you using?
Dx3R
Old 07-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

bump for a great radio
Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hey guys
been doing some E buggy research, thinking about going hyper 9E with a tekin RX8 with a 1900kv motor. any battery suggestions???
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

I heard that the thunderpower hardcase 3s and 4s fit well in the battery tray.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freon
those that are using the MMP with internal bec. did you remove the wires that came on the esc that are only 13gage? I have a tekin 1900 i plan to run on 4cell and the 13 gage looking small.
+1 anyone have pictures of MMP installed?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by intense82
hi MindThoughts,
I want to understand: can you explain me the benefit of the more flexible carbon chassis than the aluminium stock ?
Hobao have made strong alu front and rear braces ...
A little more chassis flex than the stock aluminum chassis is good for rough offroad racing because the chassis helps absorb the bumps and also prevents the buggy from otherwise bouncing around the track. the additional flex allows the buggy to mold itself to the tracks rough terain, if you will. As for the stronger front and rear metal chassis braces made for the Hyper 9e, My understanding is that people are breaking the stock plastic front chassis brace, and thus this stronger metal front chassis brace was made. it's goal was not to eliminate or minimize chassis flex, but rather to prevent the stock metal chassis from bending beyond the point of no return, otherwise known as bending, and staying bent. At this point in time, 1/8th scale buggies need a chassis with a sufficient amount of flex in order to help the buggy stay planted to the track. If the chassis had zero flex and was extreemly stiff or rigid, the buggy would not handle very well at all. This has been explained to me by many pro racers, it seems to be common knowledge among the master racers of RC. In fact, I invite anyone with insight to share what they know about chassis flex and chassis rigidity, as it relates to offroad 1/8th scale RC racing. The key is just the right amount of flex for a given track condition. Ideally, we may have several chassis with varying amounts of chassis flex to best relate to the track at hand. This chassis flex, in addition to shock oil viscosity changes, and sometimes shock piston hole's added or modified, and shocks- springs tension and type changes- all help the buggy stay planted to the ground, and thus maximize traction. I hope this helps you gain insight into the wonderful world of traction. And never forget the important role of Tires and Foams. That's another story worthy of every racers time.

Originally Posted by vinz23
hi mindthoughts, do you have pricing for the moos racing or matrix carbon fiber chassis and parts? i really like how you hyper 9e looks. this buggy is really awesome. i got mine three months ago and want to start racing it. tnx
The MoosRacing Chassis start at about 100.oo US Dollars, for the Carbon Fiber Chassis alone, and you can add all the accessories you wish to, such as side guards and radio tray, and or anything else you may need for your RC. For exact pricing, Please contact John of MoosRacing directly. And or you can PM, Private Message Shano, and he will be happy to get you connected with John. For Matrix Concepts Inc, Carbon Fiber Chassis and Complete Accessory kit, You need to contact Robert directly. You can google search Matrix Concepts Inc, and look under mission statement; I believe you will find a direct phone number, and an email address to email Robert and get pricing specifics and you can place your order at that time as well. It's good to get your order in soon because when these chassis and parts begin to ship, you will be among the first to recieve your carbon fiber chassis and parts. I will post the phone number and contact email address for Matrix Concepts bellow, for you. Be sure to email Robert right away, and ask all the questions you need, and also to put you down for a chassis and all the parts you would like. That will get you started. And let me know how this goes for you. Keep me posted.

Direct Email Address. Matrix Concepts Inc:
[email protected]
Direct Phone number. Matrix Concepts Inc:
760 591-9323

Originally Posted by snrscion
Well I usually don't run a BEC with my MMP but I do run a capacitor so my PT will work properly. Without the capacitor my PT tend to miss count laps.
Thank you for the insight Steve. I was curious where you would place your BEC if you were to run one. I'll see you at the track, bud. By the way, I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Mamba Max Pro ESC. This is why I ask such questions. Castle Creations Tech Support Bernie highly recumend the Mamba Max Pro ESC, to go with the 1409 1Y Steve Nue(Ordered Online from Castle Creations) motor I'm running in my Hyper 9e. He said this would be a great unit for the motor I'm running. I've always been given good advice from all of Castle Creations Tech Support(Bernie, Greg and Thomas). So it's safe to say I'm in the market for a Mamba Max Pro ESC. What I'm not certain of, which model. I'm looking at the model Harley is using without the fan and without the internal BEC. Or, I may go with the MMP with the internal BEC, with fan. And use my glitch buster, I believe it's made by spectrum, and I'm not certain it's official name is glitch buster, I believe it's simply refered to as a capacitor. I believe this capacitor cost well under ten dollars and plugs into the reciever. I will be running my own personal transponder, and if I run into glitching problems with the Capacitor plugged into the raciever, I will add an external BEC at that point in time. I may buy an external BEC to have on standby, so that if the buggy begins to have glitching problems, I can install the new BEC and see if that stops the glitching, as it seems to do for so many people running 1/8th scale buggies with the higher torque steering servos.

Originally Posted by HH
+1

I run this voltage capacitor with my MMP because it's simple. You can make your own for about $2 if you can find the right size capacitor.
http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...=NOV5626/135.0

I prefer this version of the MMP as it has solder posts similar to the RX8.
It comes with the internal BEC removed and no fan, both of which I don't use anyway.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ss-ESC-1S-LiPo

This is the BEC I use because it's small, lightweight, and has worked well so far.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adjustable-BEC

I did have issues with glitching and my transponder missing some laps when using the standard MMP with the internal BEC.

Since I've been using the external BEC in combination with the capacitor it has worked flawlessly and I typically run 6s on outdoor dirt (Rev) setup for 20 minute mains.

I pushed it hard for 15 minutes trying to comeback from dead last this past weekend after getting hooked up with some plow donkey twice on the first lap of the A main and the car came off the track at under 130 degrees for the motor and just under 110 degrees for the MMP with no fan. I was running 6s with a T8 1400kv in "smart-sense" mode.

HH
Thank you Harley, this is extreemly valuable insight you've shared with us. Your expertise is always appreciated. Thanks a million.

The internal BEC over current protection circuitry is supposedly too sensitive when powering high torque servo(s) such as the JR9100 S/T amongst others but the actual BEC is able to handle the loads. You simply need a capacitor as stated previously to get rid of voltage ripple when the over-amp protection kicks in momentarily. It's mainly an issue with 2.4 systems where they "brown out" or lose bind momentarily, so you lose servo response and throttle response for an instant.

Here's a video of my 8ight doing it (impossible to drive like this hence my bad driving... and lack of skill )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxMpYVaXKnw

Oh and also the ONLY Castle product I do not approve of is the CC BEC, I have had several fail on me and deliver full voltage to my servos. But your results may vary and I know of many who use them without issue.

IF ANYONE has a picture of a VE8 body on their or someone else's hyper can you please link/host/post it please! I'm trying to decide whether to do mudguards or the VE8 shell and I need to see the vertical clearance for the battery with it.
I'm curious, where did you learn about this information you mention, With the problems and solutions regarding the Mamba Max Pro Speed Controller glitching? Thank you in advance.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

you may want to hold off on the custom 1409 motor, seems castle is working on a couple short course motors, a 1410 1Y and 1415 1Y
Shipping in September/October -- two different versions.

One uses a 1410/1Y motor, an SCT specific version of the Sidewinder (beefed up for SCT), and is completely ROAR legal for 2S SCT racing.

The other version uses a 1415/1Y motor, and a Mamba Max Pro -- not ROAR legal, but setup for 3S-4S racing.

The motors will also be available separately.

Thanx!

Patrick
I get my info on rc-monster. IIRC, Patrick del Castillo commented about this over on the forums.
EDIT: Here's a link: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...ight=MMP+1%2F8

For capacitors I'm going to get the "spektrum voltage protector" because it's half the price of the novak.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tage-Protector

Excellent idea on the 1cell version of the MMP, never thought of that. How are your temps without the fan/shroud on the esc?

Also keep in mind when people do run into issues with the MMP BEC failing, it will be more common in higher voltage setups not only because of weight but simple because of how switching BEC's function. As input voltage goes up, the current the BEC can deliver decreases.

Last edited by DanielC.; 07-27-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you may want to hold off on the custom 1409 motor, seems castle is working on a couple short course motors, a 1410 1Y and 1415 1Y

I get my info on rc-monster. IIRC, Patrick del Castillo wrote about this over on the forums.
Mindthoughts already has it and the kvs that castle would probably offer if i remember what it said on rc-monster wouldnt be suitable to what he needs.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by T4 Razer
Mindthoughts already has it and the kvs that castle would probably offer if i remember what it said on rc-monster wouldnt be suitable to what he needs.
The 1410 should suit his needs as it will be a bit longer rotor and maybe 200-250kv less than he currently has. If not, this motor on 3s should be killer for the 9E. Considering people run the Tekin 1700kv on 4s buggies with no issue I don't see the problem with running a ~3300kv motor on 2s for the 9E but it will be on the slower side. Also it will be availible in mass quantity, easily rebuildable once their repair kits come out, won't take weeks to construct, and will be considerably cheaper. Don't get me wrong the true Steve Neu motors are great but when it comes to convenience and practicality the CC/Neu versions liscenced by Castle are superior for the mass market IMO.

Last edited by DanielC.; 07-27-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

The 1410 should suit his needs as it will be a bit longer rotor and maybe 200-250kv less than he currently has. If not, this motor on 3s should be killer for the 9E. Considering people run the Tekin 1700kv on 4s buggies with no issue I don't see the problem with running a ~3300kv motor on 2s for the 9E but it will be on the slower side. Also it will be availible in mass quantity, easily rebuildable once their repair kits come out, won't take weeks to construct, and will be considerably cheaper. Don't get me wrong the true Steve Neu motors are great but when it comes to convenience and practicality the CC/Neu versions liscenced by Castle are superior for the mass market IMO.

True
Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

T4 razer you should try the new castle 1800kv(short can)has great power and really smooth.i can actually use all the power this time without having to tame it down.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kman16jr
T4 razer you should try the new castle 1800kv(short can)has great power and really smooth.i can actually use all the power this time without having to tame it down.
I dont even have my car yet... lol .... So i dont know.

Most use the 2650 where I run and I already have 3 cells
Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kman16jr
What did you gear that 1800kv and how many cell?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.