Wiki Posts
Search

T4 shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Questions?? T4 shorts?

This is probably a very stupid question but I would rather ask then find out the hard way. I think I remember reading this tell me it is wrong please. Is there a posiability of a short between the terminals on a matched set of NiM. Batt. and the graphite chassi of the T4 team kit. I think I remember reading this a while ago and I am about to try our first matched set of Nim. Batt. The stick packs had shrink over the ends so that the terminals are not exsposed. Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

With the graphite chassis, yes there is a chance of a matched NiMh pack shorting out. You can use some electrical tape to insulate the chassis from te pack, or for something more durable try this.

http://order.aeteam.net/product_deta...?Itemcode=9787

It's a clear self adhesive Teflon sheet. It can be cut to any shape, as seen in the photo installed on a B44. It's what I've used with great results. Just be sure to build your packs nice and tight, so they fit in the battery tray.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The problem that is more common than the chassis is the graphite battery strap that is included with the factory team kit. If the terminals of the battery touch this, then a short will occur.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

Default how to correct?

Sprade is that sheet like a decal sheet could you use it to cover the inside of the batteries tray on the T4, and the graphite batt. Strap that is included with the kit is conductive? Wow this doesn’t seem to be good engineering. What do the factory drivers do? (Besides run lipo) I guess my question is what did they do? LOL thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Default ????

I’m not sure I understand, it looks like this sheet is for the bottom of the buggy. Is the problem with the truck that the + - terminals short to the sides of the batt. Tray in the T4 truck? Or somehow to the things the chassis comes in contact with? In the buggy it looks as if the batt. sit a lot lower down in the chassis. When I say graph. I mean the composite material that comes with the T4 team kit. not the woven fiber stuff. that is what the batt. strap is made of. Sorry for jumping around thanks for any input.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've heard that before myself, but I never had a problem with my graphite chassis shorting out my side-by-sides. The carbon fiber battery strap did give me a little zap once, but the easy solution for that is don't bend your end terminals so they sit RIGHT NEXT to the strap.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

I am getting mixed feelings about this. I can't believe that AE would make it this way if it is a problem. But this being said everyone tells me that the graphite is conductive? This seems crazy to me I guess I will just put electrical tape inside of the batt. compartment for now as a precaution. I can't imagine this is needed. People at the local hobby shop say yes it is conductive but don't worry about it if their is a problem address it then. This seems odd. Probably looking too hard at this to much time on my hands right now. But if it is conductive even a little it must be at least partly shorting out the cells when they are in the car? Oh well any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It will NOT be a problem period!!! I ran the "graphite" = "carbon fiber composite" chassis for a couple of years, not to mention I ran them for a LONG time on the B3 and T3. Some say it may have given them "glitches", but most likely NOT! The chassis wil not short out a battery. It really is a non issue dont worry about it.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Oh yeah, the "graphite" chassis' do not come in any of the kits anymore anyway, unless you have an older one or bought the chassis seperate.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldandnew
Sprade is that sheet like a decal sheet could you use it to cover the inside of the batteries tray on the T4, and the graphite batt. Strap that is included with the kit is conductive? Wow this doesn’t seem to be good engineering. What do the factory drivers do? (Besides run lipo) I guess my question is what did they do? LOL thanks
Yes it is like a decal sheet about 8X14 inches. I just cut it into strips to fit inside the battery tray on the T4. My T4 and B4 both have the molded carbon chassis, so I figured better safe than sorry. Proper placement of the + and - battery tabs will keep them from shorting out on the strap. Heck I used to run the Trinity aluminum heat sink battery strap and never got so much as a spark.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

I have never had a problem with my B4 but i did line the tray with some thin
sticky backed felt just to be safe.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info guys. Good Racing