Community
Wiki Posts
Search

slash noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Default slash noise

so i was running my slash today and all the sudden i start hearing a wierd clicking noise coming from the rear end. i only happens when the motor turns the wheels, and it gets faster the faster the wheels spin. i disconnected the motor from the tranny and the noise stopped, so i figured maybe something got into the tranny, but nothing. also pulled the diff apart and didnt see anything there either. the sound doesnt seem to be coming from the wheel bearings. any ideas? its a stock slash.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

something broke in motor?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Initiate

motor sounded fine when i disconnected it from the tranny.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Rookie

dis connnect one drive shaft at a time see if it goes away could be a mesh problem between ring an pinion
Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RallyImp05
so i was running my slash today and all the sudden i start hearing a wierd clicking noise coming from the rear end. i only happens when the motor turns the wheels, and it gets faster the faster the wheels spin. i disconnected the motor from the tranny and the noise stopped, so i figured maybe something got into the tranny, but nothing. also pulled the diff apart and didnt see anything there either. the sound doesnt seem to be coming from the wheel bearings. any ideas? its a stock slash.
same history as mine...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Could be that one of the shock screws backed out and is rubbing on the axle? This happened to my son's slash. It wasn't a consistent noise but it was pretty loud... just my 2c
Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by omar_pr
same history as mine...
ever find out what it was? and did it have any adverse affect?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Could be that one of the shock screws backed out and is rubbing on the axle? This happened to my son's slash. It wasn't a consistent noise but it was pretty loud... just my 2c
you know that is a good idea.. i noticed some wierd etching on the axles but didnt think anything of it. i will have to check that once i get it all put back together.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

that was happening to mine and there was something in the drive shaft so i got some perfect duster and cleaned everything out and the noise stopped
Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by salabarria
that was happening to mine and there was something in the drive shaft so i got some perfect duster and cleaned everything out and the noise stopped
on my list of things to try.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Suspended

try dynamite??

Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

check ur spur. I have had just one tooth break before. it will still work but does clik
Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

I had the same thing happen 3 different times. The clicking will come and then as soon as I start trying to figure out what it is it stops. Ony to return again later. Weird.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ever find out what it was? and did it have any adverse affect?
i had this problem to. In about a week of running my slash with this noise the motor went out on me. I went BL and never heard it again.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I too had the same problem toward the end of running just my first battery pack. When I rotated each tire in the same direction, I noticed that they got "tight" at one spot during each full rotation. I removed the spur gear cover and I checked my pinion and spur very carefully, but they were fine with no missing teeth. Apparently, the mesh was misaligned at the same spot during each rotation. There was no dirt or stone causing the problem.

Just to be sure my motor was ok, I too removed it, hooked up a battery pack, and ran it in both directions with no abnormality.

Then, I removed the spur and disassebled the slipper, but found no problems with the slipper. You wonder where I am going here, right?

Well, I found that while tightening the slipper nut against the spur gear, I had to make absolutely sure that the spur gear was on straight. Otherwise, I'd induce a very slight wobble while the spur was turning. This then screwed up my gear mesh, and caused a "click" when the mesh got too tight.

I have no idea why this should occur, unless some slop exists with the fitting of the spur gear. Since then, I only ran the Slash for 30 seconds to test it, but everything was fine. I will report back after another full pack...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.