Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Buy a123 batteries instead of lipos, same power, don't catch on fire and on top of that they learn to balance themselves and don't need to be balanced often and you can actually drain all the power from them. Also they are almost 3 times lighter than actual Lipo's, I use them for those reasons.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
Buy a123 batteries instead of lipos, same power, don't catch on fire and on top of that they learn to balance themselves and don't need to be balanced often and you can actually drain all the power from them. Also they are almost 3 times lighter than actual Lipo's, I use them for those reasons.
Any battery is capable of catching fire.

It's just harder for some.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default now which one?

So which ruddy battery fo i get for my stock standard ERBE that i have coming? I thought zippy was the go! But is this one going to be ok on the standard gearing? Its the 4s1p 20-30c 5000 or should i go with the 3s1p?

hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6351

I only have a couple of true RC 8000mah 10c batts, they are obviously not they way to go! or are they?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YDBD
Heya,

Good thread, running the zippy 5000mah 4s with MMM and 2200kv, smoked the zippy, but not due to the battery spiking. The tray ripped out and the lipo hit the steering post and shorted. I since created a case to avoid this user error.

As reviewing the hobbycity website I concur on all the positive feedback that is posted there, but I also believe that all of us are running pretty new untested by the masses power systems. By anymeans we may be the Beta testers for some of the companies. I believe Castle puts out a quality product and stands behind it with great service because they know it hasn't be tested in ALL vehicles.

This is why we have the "expert" forum, we try new stuff and we do not test lightly and we take the risk of losing some cash and a car.

My offroad kit now has a welding glove and a nice bucket of beach sand.

Never going nitro...too slow...too messy....too noisy....too expensive....
Ha. I will now include a set of my fire department gloves, a fire extinguisher, and a bucket of sand as well.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by drperry
Any battery is capable of catching fire.

It's just harder for some.
If you put metal to it sure it will catch fire
Old 03-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
If you put metal to it sure it will catch fire

Well, if you want to do it the easy way!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Initiate

mine went poof after runing it about 15 times , i was useing brand new smc 5200 2s X2
Old 03-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have nothing but good to say about Castle. I have never had any of the 1/8 scale motors, but have 4 of the 1/10 systems. Two Mamba Max and two Sidewinders. Never had any problems with ESC's or motors. EXCEPT when I loaned my 7700kv to my buddy and he crashed HARD and broke the pinion shaft off......broke it the F off! Called CC to see how much to fix and they said send it in we'll take care of it. NO CHARGE, NO BS. I'm sure they are working on the issues, but I dont think they are the only one's haveing issues. My buddy had 2 Losi brushless systems in a row that were junk out of the box! First one went about 5 feet and puff of smoke, 2nd one had too short pinion shaft and pinion gear wouldnt even fit on it! He gave up on them.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

To the original poster. I was a mechanic for several years before running cranes and the one thing I learned is even with the best quality control it is still possible to get bad/defective parts. Could have been a bad resistor in the esc to begin with or just as easily could have been a faulty cell in the battery. Either way I'm sure castle or anyone else would rather blame another manufacturer than man up and take responsibility for problems. Fact of the matter is if Castle doesnt specifically state NOT to use zippy products than as far as your warranty is concerned they should replace their electronics. On the other hand if you contacted zippy about their battery frying your esc they would similarly argue that YOU had done something during charging or abused the battery in some way. Sorry to hear about your trouble because either company you try to battle it out with will be difficult. I run zippys in my castle products and havent had ANY trouble at all. Batteries work great as do the castle power systems.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

CC says those are the biggest capacitors they can put on the ESC.
And that would be a lie. There are TONS of different capacitor sizes available, there is no way they can say with a straight face that those are the biggest they can use.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by littlejohn
agreed.. but the point I made before was that I don't think that all Zippys are bad. It appears that QA on these packs aren't as rigorous as other more expensive packs. And therefore have a greater probability of being sub-spec.
If you trawl through this forum and others, Zippys get really good reports, but they seem to get a good number of bad reports too.. This would indicate that when they are good... they're the best bang for buck packs you can get. But conversely, you can just as easily get a crappy pack.
I don't see this trend with the more expensive packs..
We should also factor in the knucklehead factor: Someone new to the hobby or just a knucklehead altogether is more likely to buy the cheap batteries. Kinda the same as some RC Car makers make a good product, market it towards beginners, and because of that more problems are seen. same with batteries. As long as a product is less expensive, it's going to be used by the less experienced.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ghouck
And that would be a lie. There are TONS of different capacitor sizes available, there is no way they can say with a straight face that those are the biggest they can use.
Maybe they meant, that's the biggest that will fit in the package size they aimed for...
Old 05-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by drperry
Maybe they meant, that's the biggest that will fit in the package size they aimed for...
Then that would be a design problem. Going will smaller capacitors just to satisfy an arbitrary size limit doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, especially when the ESC is so much smaller than what it replaces in the first place. The whole thing reeks of dishonesty, I'm just not buying the 'voltage spike' BS.

This said, I do have a MM in my Hyper 7 and love it. I think Castle makes some great stuff, but it seems they are trying to lay blame somewhere it doesn't really belong, and for a very rare problem. How many others have had something damaged in this fashion from zippy batteries?

They claim the zippy packs are total junk but they are not allowed to say anything to consumers in their packaging.
More BS. CC could just as easily recommend batteries by the brand/model line, this is done regularly on computer parts and other things, there's no reason they can't put out an honest warning.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghouck
there's no reason they can't put out an honest warning.
Totally agree!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (73%+)

Originally Posted by TMR CHASSIS
SMC Packs charge at 8-10 amps takes like 30 min to charge 5000
+1 here I have the SMC 5000mah 28C 2S and it usually takes about 30 min to charge and haven't had a problem yet. Plus the prices are reasonable.

Oh yeah BTW Been nitro and will never go back I like what was said earlier "...too slow...too messy....too noisy....too expensive...."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.