Search
Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R-E-A-P-E-R-
I had a Cougar for a while. I loved the shocks. I never had a problem with leaking for flaking or anything.

The DEX shocks are also good. I am excited about the BB coming out. I wonder if they will be as big as the Shoey ones....
They will be as big and better
Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidR
Thats what I was told today by one of my hobby shop owner friends...
+1, this is what happened, wonder how many kits sold at that price. Most shops lose their rights to sell Durago if they did this, but doubt this will happen to A-Main since they are so large.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BostonNelson
Hi guys.

Looking for a alu servo horn to fit my KO servo in the DEX410. Any ideas?

Cheers
Peter
Hudy, Racers Edge, ?Losi
Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Initiate

hey guys im having an overheating problem and i have tried everything that i can think of to make it go away.

i have no binding in the drive train and my mesh is correct. i also have a lot of holes cut in the body for airflow.

i have an 8.5 novak motor and the speed control hits the thermal cut off. comes off the track at about 170/180. the motor on the other hand is ice cold. 110 is the hottest i have ever seen it.

right now i have a 19t pinion with the stock 87 spur. i have experimented with different size pinions and when i go up it thermals quicker then with a lower pinion. from what i can understand the lowest i can put in the rango is a 18 without modding the motor mount. If anyone has any ideas please let me know
Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slim18
hey guys im having an overheating problem and i have tried everything that i can think of to make it go away.

i have no binding in the drive train and my mesh is correct. i also have a lot of holes cut in the body for airflow.

i have an 8.5 novak motor and the speed control hits the thermal cut off. comes off the track at about 170/180. the motor on the other hand is ice cold. 110 is the hottest i have ever seen it.

right now i have a 19t pinion with the stock 87 spur. i have experimented with different size pinions and when i go up it thermals quicker then with a lower pinion. from what i can understand the lowest i can put in the rango is a 18 without modding the motor mount. If anyone has any ideas please let me know
19 pinion is low. Also what esc are you using. if its a tekin you might have to set it with computer. or junk it and get an lrp
Old 01-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Initiate

ya i realize that a 19 is low but its the only thing that wont make it thermal before 5 mins. i have tried up to a 22t and it still thermals.

the speed control that i am using is a novak havoc. i also realize that this is not a good speed control. i used this speed control in a losi XXX4 last year and it never got over 140. but the XXX4 is also belt driven. im starting to think that this speed control just can't handle the rango.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

ya i realize that a 19 is low but its the only thing that wont make it thermal before 5 mins. i have tried up to a 22t and it still thermals.

the speed control that i am using is a novak havoc. i also realize that this is not a good speed control. i used this speed control in a losi XXX4 last year and it never got over 140. but the XXX4 is also belt driven. im starting to think that this speed control just can't handle the rango.
I know you said that the drive drain is "free" but look at all of your CVD joints. Make sure they are not dried out, I started having heat issues all of a sudden and started going through things and after rebuilding the cvd, the motor heat went back to normal plus the car drove soooooo much better.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyv2382
WoW...Did you have a 10 gallon pot of coffee? Lots of energy expended here, Dude I built a cougar and its shocks, which are the same as a sx2 and actually the batch I got were those "gen1" shocks which had that flaking problem and when I built the gen2 versions they were still crap. They are just crap. I bought a cougar on here used and had to rebuild the whole thing cuz the owner obviously had no clue what he was doing, so yes I know my way around those shocks VERY well. I never ran it cuz I was waiting weeks for Shuey to send me "upgraded" parts to switch out my defective ones. I got restless, realized that it was all a really bad omen and just got rid of the thing. Those cats are made of cheese dude, pete already described it. My first qualifier on the new layout I hit 3rd place behind a lazer fs2 and some other car not sure what. Then I tweaked my setup a bit too much and pretty much defeated myself and made mistakes on the car while tweaking which dug me a further hole but its wasnt the cars fault it was mine. If I had just left it alone I wouldve placed way higher. Moral of the story is, its always the driver, not the car and if thats the case why not drive the better built car?

And you still bought another durango albeit a different version why? cuz its the best product on the market man, u know it very well, and you obviously didnt even give ur car a fighting chance to come up with the "cats are the best" excuse. Anyways, good luck with the DNX, Im sure itll be all that and a bag of chips or shall I say flakes from your schuey shocks
It's all good my friend! I really did like the Durango but when you spend an 1/8 of the time with something else no matter what it is and you drive it better it is hard to turn it down. I never had any of the problems a few have had with the durango as the servo saver and such. I believe I broke one arm thats why I have so many extra parts. Simply didn't need them. The ball cups were just simply worn out and I wanted to do away with the little bit of slop and I had the rpm's sitting on the bench. I would just like to make a point that I think the track conditions we run on is where the Durango fell just a pinch short. I think that it is to stiff even running the plastic side guards and u brace for a rough track condition. I have yet to have a problem with the SX2 as I didn't with the Rango but I would aggree that it might not take a pole hit as well but just because somthing hits a pole better doesn't meen it is faster or more consistant. End of story it is driver and track conditions which should be your reasons for choosing a car not that it is a work of art or can take a pole hit better. If you ever get a chance to run a different car take the chance you just never know!?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

One other thing to check is that you have the right crush spacers between the axle bearings and the right distance spacers.You could be torqing the wheels down to tight and creating to much side load on the bearings. I would think you should be able to get away with a 24t easy with an 8.5.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hogmansp
It's all good my friend! I really did like the Durango but when you spend an 1/8 of the time with something else no matter what it is and you drive it better it is hard to turn it down. I never had any of the problems a few have had with the durango as the servo saver and such. I believe I broke one arm thats why I have so many extra parts. Simply didn't need them. The ball cups were just simply worn out and I wanted to do away with the little bit of slop and I had the rpm's sitting on the bench. I would just like to make a point that I think the track conditions we run on is where the Durango fell just a pinch short. I think that it is to stiff even running the plastic side guards and u brace for a rough track condition. I have yet to have a problem with the SX2 as I didn't with the Rango but I would aggree that it might not take a pole hit as well but just because somthing hits a pole better doesn't meen it is faster or more consistant. End of story it is driver and track conditions which should be your reasons for choosing a car not that it is a work of art or can take a pole hit better. If you ever get a chance to run a different car take the chance you just never know!?
I almost too kthe plunge to sell mine for the cat but I just had too much time invested in it to give it up, plus to date all Ive broke is a steering upright, a plastic caster block and a rear hinge holder...oh ya and the original plastic front. Thats it. Compared to the issues Ive had with other cars this is minimal at best. And if I ever had issues they were due to my errors. Im just happy where I am now with this car. Its built well, Ive worked out all the kinks and Im just happy with it. Now its all up to me to nail my setup and get some more track time. Good luck though man, and if u ever decide to come back we'll be here for u! till then keep it bangin.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

When driving my new dex410 i didn't find it too stiff. I need it to rotate more and steer alittle smoother.... nothing more. Jumps amazing. If the shim i put on the pinion as per advised does the trick i can finally focus on the set-up. We will see. I have been hearing the axles and out drives wear out incredibly fast... anyone else have this issue ?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

So far Ive seen 2 havoc go to hell at my track, Peters and a personal friend of mine had it in his SC and it just stopped working. Ur best bet is change ur ESC. And make sure ur gearing is right.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
When driving my new dex410 i didn't find it too stiff. I need it to rotate more and steer alittle smoother.... nothing more. Jumps amazing. If the shim i put on the pinion as per advised does the trick i can finally focus on the set-up. We will see. I have been hearing the axles and out drives wear out incredibly fast... anyone else have this issue ?
Keep an eye on the pins in the UJs. Tucci has been going thorough the outdrives pretty fast but o be honest hes very aggressive with the car, overly aggressive IMO lol, but hes fast what am I to say. Ive had the same issue with my steering but I recently noticed my front arms were binding cuz I added an extra unnecessary shim on the inner hinge pins and my steering rack was tightened too much. I had that issue and more after I went over the whole car which is why i was struggling all day last sunday. Still wonder how I even managed 3rd the first heat with such issues. Binding suspension, rear arms shimmed unevenly, too much play in my rear hubs, and front gear box wasnt positioned correctly to clear the shaft with the servo horn. Just dumb mistakes made due to rushing and as the day went on the car just lost "it".

To be honest the whole time I was trying to help Peter and just plain ignored my car lol. But next time out will be better.

I also found the car needed more rotation in the S's I couldnt get the back end to swing around quickly enough, I think Im running too much anti squat and maybe lighten the diff oils a tad.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Long camber links in the front with heavy sway bar really calms down the steering. 5-2 in the diffs and believe it or not try running a little lighter oil and spring in the rear. I was thinking that it should increase rear grip but it did the opposite as in rotating well in the apex of the corner. Also shorten the wheel base. Not sure if your running tekin but alot of drag brake will also help the car through the corners. At least it did for me.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyv2382
Keep an eye on the pins in the UJs. Tucci has been going thorough the outdrives pretty fast but o be honest hes very aggressive with the car, overly aggressive IMO lol, but hes fast what am I to say. Ive had the same issue with my steering but I recently noticed my front arms were binding cuz I added an extra unnecessary shim on the inner hinge pins and my steering rack was tightened too much. I had that issue and more after I went over the whole car which is why i was struggling all day last sunday. Still wonder how I even managed 3rd the first heat with such issues. Binding suspension, rear arms shimmed unevenly, too much play in my rear hubs, and front gear box wasnt positioned correctly to clear the shaft with the servo horn. Just dumb mistakes made due to rushing and as the day went on the car just lost "it".

To be honest the whole time I was trying to help Peter and just plain ignored my car lol. But next time out will be better.

I also found the car needed more rotation in the S's I couldnt get the back end to swing around quickly enough, I think Im running too much anti squat and maybe lighten the diff oils a tad.

Yea that middle section of the track it could use not so much turn in but the rear to rotate with control. I am gonna put in 5/3 in the diffs in about 15 min and go to the kit springs. That ackerman question you asked got me thinking about moving the ball stud back. Changes like that are sometimes better suited to the drivers style in some cases. Usually at lir due to the low bite ever changing funny traction.

i'll let you know what i come up with. The beauty of this car is it is so easy to change ballstud and shock positions.

Tomorrow is judgement day for the dex410.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.