Wiki Posts
Search

Cactus Classic 2009!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mirrorman
That’s great and all, but what is your intent of counting on and on about it. It happened, its over. People that have been around Matt know better then to think it happened on purpose. Think what you want, but there is no point on harping about it.

Good point. You're right about that. It just makes me sick to see these things happen... especially when people who haven't watched the video try to stick up for them. But you're right, I'm done with it.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Legend

Many thanks for the video`s of the main`s , they were even better than the live cam`s given to us in the past ...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
Some video for you guy's, I will post more when it is done uploading

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj0KT5OdxgI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7BfAIiAuk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Zn-ErmelA
2 more videos for you

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIuxgDrrOf4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBPJBttjWn4
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott54
Good point. You're right about that. It just makes me sick to see these things happen... especially when people who haven't watched the video try to stick up for them. But you're right, I'm done with it.
Everyone, see Casper's response to this on post #646:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...eedway-22.html
Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Are the full results posted anywhere?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RC Scoring Pro
There were about 40-50 people that heard what went down, and your story isn't even close to reality. Brandon and Josh had to go to the Police station to identify mug shots on Tuesday.
dude i dont know who you are but i was there the whole time..i was one who was with others trying to get him to leave nicely...so please if you feel that you know more than i do about the situation talk to me about it..this needs to go away....i will guarantee his life was never threatened..so please get over yourself..and let the higher powers handle it...thew race is over and again fort the 23 year it was a fabulous race..as will it be next year...good day
Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What was up with the "live loop" gas style qualifying instead of the standard interval starts.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Suspended

it was a gas style open loop start, but it went very smoothly, no problems all weekend with it...i actually like that way...can start when you want..
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by i am cornholio
dude i dont know who you are but i was there the whole time..i was one who was with others trying to get him to leave nicely...so please if you feel that you know more than i do about the situation talk to me about it..this needs to go away....i will guarantee his life was never threatened..so please get over yourself..and let the higher powers handle it...thew race is over and again fort the 23 year it was a fabulous race..as will it be next year...good day
His name is Doug Hay, designer of the RC Scoring Pro software, very trustworthy and respected member of the R/C community and a good friend of Brandon Rohde... He's someone who most of us will believe on his word, so is Brandon.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anyone have B4 and B44 setup info from Cavalieri and Maifield? I'd really curious how much weight they ran in their 4wds. Just enough to make minimum or enough to equial NiMh?

The race videos look awesome; I hope I can make it next year!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Guys and Gals that made it out to the 23rd Cactus Classic, I want to thank you for coming out. To the great sponsors and the team that made this event happen thank you. To Keoni thanks for keeping this event alive and getting me out of my real work for a week, running tech was great fun. I just want to take a few seconds to express my opinion. For those who question Keoni’s motivation on our hobby, please take a step back and look at what it takes to run a hobby store and a GREAT event like the Cactus Classic. When Keoni first took over SRS his first question to me was how do I improve SRS and the Cactus Classic? The first thing I told him was he was crazy to take over a hobby store there is no money in it (I’m only kidding). Keoni has put in lots of time and money into this event and SRS. For those that came out to have a great time you saw the new store and facility improvements so you know that he is in this for the long haul. I have known Keoni for several years and he has always been a person that I have trusted and have a great deal of respect for. I know this is a public form/thread but could we get it back on topic and talk about the great racing and fun that happened this weekend.

Thanks again for all that made it out the the 23rd Cactus Classic.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Default Media Coverage

I'm going to address this topic, only as a "message to all tracks" and media. I've learned from my experiences in the media. Not only in RC but with Short Course Racing, and Beer events.

Media.

1. Every event wants media coverage. In order to get this you have to reach out to the media and offer them a reason why they should come. There really isn't an event that media should just show up to because it's happening.

2. Media does not pay. To be more specific REAL media doesn't pay. I'll offer the example from my experience with the CORR series that I attended and what happened there. Traxxas and a few others sponsored and raced in this event. When I applied for media passes I had to "prove" what I did and show them what I did in the media. Just because I had a camera didn't make me media, and they wanted to see what I was going to do was going to help them. After a few rounds of media there seemed to be a lot of "cameras" on the track and with the possibility of somebody getting killed they changed their policy.

Prior to this they had 3 levels of media.

Level 3 was freelance media, team photographers. They had LIMITED access and had to pay to get media passes. The idea is freelance is using the event to make money.

Level 2 was given more track access but was more of an outside media...newspapers or places that may or may not run a story.

Level 1 was full access. No money was required they paid for your lunch/parking, gave you use of the media tent and got to go on the track (controlled places).

No for me, who isn't a magazine for fullsize, but did use the race in the magazine I went from Level 2 to a FULL ACCESS level 1 because I was a media outlet that they wanted there. Some of the other people complained, but like at most RC tracks now anybody with a camera can walk most places. It needs to be controlled and the track has to work with the media. The crap that went down at the worlds was embarrassing and down right childish on the track and organization part.

The problem I see with RC live and why I can understand why tracks might not want them there is that RC live charges for advertising during coverage. And that advertising has nothing to do with race sponsors. When we cover the event we print EVERY sponsor of the race, even if they aren't advertisers of ours. Hell we even list other magazines. From what I've seen and understand is that RC Live promotes it's own sponsors and therefore the race sponsor actually loses out in media coverage because it doesn't mean they'll be on RC live. So in that respect I understand why some tracks are a little ANTI-RC live. The race is supported by the sponsors and why would they pay for no media coverage? They certainly don't need to advertise to the people that are sponsored by their product.

So for RC live to prosper it has to understand that selling advertising and not promoting the race sponsor is bad for business. Sell a commercial to be run during the race and let the sponsorship money be seen/heard.

But tracks and organizations better learn that media is what drives racing. I get asked every day what race I'm going to so companies can decide if they will go. Sure the Cactus has been around for 20 years, but that doesn't mean they can act like morons and chase media away.

If ESPN walked up they'd probably blow whoever came. Right now magazines and a few websites are RCSPN....
Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I got to watch a few races on YouTube and I really like the over/under jump that was setup. I personally thought it was great and the races that I watched looked like everyone got thru it without any problems. Would really like one of those at are local track.

The rest of the layout looked fun. The pros made it look easy so I know from experiance that means it is very challenging and not as easy as it looks.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Talking AE Is Killer Of All......

Originally Posted by i am cornholio

After watching Gately and the Boyz Track looked pretty dialed,Cavalieri and Maifield make it look easy.... 28'S 29'S....

Last edited by losidriver70; 03-16-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott54
Did you watch the same video? "he punched it to not be a brick in the road"... he was set down by the marshall and he had enough room to wheelie about 4 feet before he made contact with the leaders. And if it's that hard to start without popping a wheelie, why did he squeeze so hard? That looked deliberate. And I don't buy the binding issues. If that was the case, the marshall wouldn't have set him down if the car was going nuts... and the marshall was holding it for a while. And Mayfield did not come out ahead after that.

And as for these guys having more class.... yeah, some of them do. But I've seen some of the cheapest moves from a lot of racers at that level.
Well its a good thing you were there all week and weekend and got to see all the people having glitching issues on Spektrum then..... It happened to allot of drivers this weekend....

Of course you are probably local like the rest of us and know about the track having glitching issues in some parts. Its been like that for years. It effects some areas of the 75 band more than others.... Its been doing it to locals on 2.4 for awhile now too....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.