Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Brownie

What did his car look like? color?

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Marcus THANKS!!!!
Local track owner Scott Brown of Tacoma RC Raceway in Wa is in both!
Good work, just give us more
Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by i am cornholio
dude i dont know who you are but i was there the whole time..i was one who was with others trying to get him to leave nicely...so please if you feel that you know more than i do about the situation talk to me about it..this needs to go away....i will guarantee his life was never threatened..so please get over yourself..and let the higher powers handle it...thew race is over and again fort the 23 year it was a fabulous race..as will it be next year...good day
what I dont get is... Why was brandon asked to leave in the first place??
Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DerekB
I'm going to address this topic, only as a "message to all tracks" and media. I've learned from my experiences in the media. Not only in RC but with Short Course Racing, and Beer events.

Media.

1. Every event wants media coverage. In order to get this you have to reach out to the media and offer them a reason why they should come. There really isn't an event that media should just show up to because it's happening.

2. Media does not pay. To be more specific REAL media doesn't pay. I'll offer the example from my experience with the CORR series that I attended and what happened there. Traxxas and a few others sponsored and raced in this event. When I applied for media passes I had to "prove" what I did and show them what I did in the media. Just because I had a camera didn't make me media, and they wanted to see what I was going to do was going to help them. After a few rounds of media there seemed to be a lot of "cameras" on the track and with the possibility of somebody getting killed they changed their policy.

Prior to this they had 3 levels of media.

Level 3 was freelance media, team photographers. They had LIMITED access and had to pay to get media passes. The idea is freelance is using the event to make money.

Level 2 was given more track access but was more of an outside media...newspapers or places that may or may not run a story.

Level 1 was full access. No money was required they paid for your lunch/parking, gave you use of the media tent and got to go on the track (controlled places).

No for me, who isn't a magazine for fullsize, but did use the race in the magazine I went from Level 2 to a FULL ACCESS level 1 because I was a media outlet that they wanted there. Some of the other people complained, but like at most RC tracks now anybody with a camera can walk most places. It needs to be controlled and the track has to work with the media. The crap that went down at the worlds was embarrassing and down right childish on the track and organization part.

The problem I see with RC live and why I can understand why tracks might not want them there is that RC live charges for advertising during coverage. And that advertising has nothing to do with race sponsors. When we cover the event we print EVERY sponsor of the race, even if they aren't advertisers of ours. Hell we even list other magazines. From what I've seen and understand is that RC Live promotes it's own sponsors and therefore the race sponsor actually loses out in media coverage because it doesn't mean they'll be on RC live. So in that respect I understand why some tracks are a little ANTI-RC live. The race is supported by the sponsors and why would they pay for no media coverage? They certainly don't need to advertise to the people that are sponsored by their product.

So for RC live to prosper it has to understand that selling advertising and not promoting the race sponsor is bad for business. Sell a commercial to be run during the race and let the sponsorship money be seen/heard.

But tracks and organizations better learn that media is what drives racing. I get asked every day what race I'm going to so companies can decide if they will go. Sure the Cactus has been around for 20 years, but that doesn't mean they can act like morons and chase media away.

If ESPN walked up they'd probably blow whoever came. Right now magazines and a few websites are RCSPN....
Hi everyone,

I'm not going to comment on the stuff that happened this weekend... that seems to have been talked about enough already. I just wanted to comment on what Derek said though because he brings up a lot of valid points. When LiveRC started a few years ago, I honestly had very little experience dealing with media related issues. As it grew, I brought in sponsors to help with the costs of the site, just like magazines and other websites do. At first, nobody ever requested to have the event sponsors online, and honestly I never thought much about it. As LiveRC has grown however, event promoters are starting to request this, and in all honesty I think its only fair. What Derek said is something I am in agreement with 100%. For this race, I had planned to launch LiveRC version 6.0. The link was posted earlier (http://www.liverc.com/test/liverc2.php). If you go there, an additional banner slot has been added in prime location between the scoring screen and the chat. This banner slot is going to be given to the event to use however they would like, at no charge to them. This will hopefully add more value to the event promoters for having LiveRC cover their race, and ultimately help the event sponsors as well.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Brandon,

Sounds like a good Idea and I would think that offereing more for the Event Sponsors will go along way in the future. Maybe this is just a Growing pain that all of us racers had to experience that didnt make the race but hopefully something good will come out of this for future events.

I really liked watching the Reedy Race which is something most of us in the States cant go to so thanks for Bringing that event to us.

Any chance of broadcasting the first round of the JBRL at HRH this Sunday?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde
Hi everyone,

I'm not going to comment on the stuff that happened this weekend... that seems to have been talked about enough already. I just wanted to comment on what Derek said though because he brings up a lot of valid points. When LiveRC started a few years ago, I honestly had very little experience dealing with media related issues. As it grew, I brought in sponsors to help with the costs of the site, just like magazines and other websites do. At first, nobody ever requested to have the event sponsors online, and honestly I never thought much about it. As LiveRC has grown however, event promoters are starting to request this, and in all honesty I think its only fair. What Derek said is something I am in agreement with 100%. For this race, I had planned to launch LiveRC version 6.0. The link was posted earlier (http://www.liverc.com/test/liverc2.php). If you go there, an additional banner slot has been added in prime location between the scoring screen and the chat. This banner slot is going to be given to the event to use however they would like, at no charge to them. This will hopefully add more value to the event promoters for having LiveRC cover their race, and ultimately help the event sponsors as well.
Brandon is a class act and really has taken the extra step to take the hobby "to the next level". I know that the news team that came to CRCRC to do the show were blown away by what he was doing.

I am sure he is going to make the needed tweaks like he has to keep driving LIVE RC to the next level. I know my family thought it was the greatest thing ever that they could see me race online.

Thank you Brandon!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swen
His name is Doug Hay, designer of the RC Scoring Pro software, very trustworthy and respected member of the R/C community and a good friend of Brandon Rohde... He's someone who most of us will believe on his word, so is Brandon.
well ok then...and like others have said here..it takes a lot to own and operate a track and or hobby shop..Keoni is absolutely one of the nicest people i have ever met..bar none...and i dont doubt that brandon is a nice person...there were differences that couldnt be settled and that is all that needs to be said...lets keep the cactus thread for the race and not the online badgering...i wish brandon and lie rc the best..and yes i pay for my membership on live rc...thanks again to all that participated and helped make the 23rd annual cactus classic a great event..and heres to 23 more years...
Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

I thought I should post something after all the people slandering my name.

In the truck modified A2 main I had an issue with my sensor wire. The marshal grabbed my truck and when the throttle came back he threw the truck back down on the track. You all can make of it what you want from the video. When my truck was thrown down I saw the leaders coming up fast behind me and my reaction was to get out of the way as fast as I could. I IN NO WAY intended to affect the outcome of the race and this was a complete accident. Anyone who knows me or my character would know that I race clean and give respect to the leaders. As I got off the drivers stand EVERYONE said to me that it was not my fault. What they could see that you cannot see on the video is that I was trying my best to get out of the way. That is it. I had no interest in affecting the outcome of the race.

Even Maifield came up and appologized to me for the whole thing as his team informed him that the marshall threw me down at the wrong time and I was just trying to get out of the way. Fortunately, Maifield went on to win the A3 main and secured the #1 spot.

Please don't post negative things about people because *you think you know what happened from watching a video*
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M Chambers

In the truck modified A2 main I had an issue with my sensor wire. The marshal grabbed my truck and when the throttle came back he threw the truck back down on the track. You all can make of it what you want from the video. When my truck was thrown down I saw the leaders coming up fast behind me and my reaction was to get out of the way as fast as I could. I IN NO WAY intended to affect the outcome of the race and this was a complete accident. Anyone who knows me or my character would know that I race clean and give respect to the leaders. As I got off the drivers stand EVERYONE said to me that it was not my fault. What they could see that you cannot see on the video is that I was trying my best to get out of the way. That is it. I had no interest in affecting the outcome of the race.

Even Maifield came up and appologized to me for the whole thing as his team informed him that the marshall threw me down at the wrong time and I was just trying to get out of the way. Fortunately, Maifield went on to win the A3 main and secured the #1 spot.

Please don't post negative things about people because *you think you know what happened from watching a video*

Thanks for clearing that up Matt.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Suspended

Don't sweat it. Anyone that was there to watch it live knows you didnt do anything intentionally. The only people talking crap are the same people whining about liverc not covering the race.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

When I watched the video and focused on what was going on in the back ground, to me it looked like the marshal held onto the car and just threw it down. It didn't look like you did anything. Stuff like that happens. Lapped traffic (out of control or not) is part of racing and just like when a ref gets in the way of a game...is just part of the game.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde
Hi everyone,

Awesome, if you ever need to talk about media things I'm always around the corner. I'd love the media to actually act as a group and not a bunch of babies. The crap that went down at the IFMAR worlds was ridiculous on all levels.

I'd offer my thoughts on how to make things right to any organization, but they tend to just want to not hear anything...so instead I just keep it to myself. Media will cover the races that help them the most. If the Cactus doesnt' want Live RC....go somewhere else. People will watch and be happy at another race.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Just to clear this up on my end too, I didn't ever intend to say you were a bad person. I was only saying you made a mistake and we all do that. I didn't ever intend for it to sound like you did it on purpose.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Just to clear this up on my end too, I didn't ever intend to say you were a bad person. I was only saying you made a mistake and we all do that. I didn't ever intend for it to sound like you did it on purpose.
If a track marshell thew him down in front of the leaders & He did the best he could to get out of the way then how did he make a mistake????? it was an accident.

Matt is a great guy and has always been helpful to othes in this sport.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Reread, edit, apologize, have a nice day...if you knew Chambers like the majority of the RC community does that thought would have never crossed your mind...
Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Why is everyone fighting on this thread. You guys are crying about toy cars. Yes this hobby is cool and fun but this not cool when people are pointing fingers at other drivers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.