Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric? >

How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
It probably will be. I am just curious more than anything.

If it comes at the expense of durability then I don't want it. I view it more like carbon fiber vs aluminum. I was just thinking that it would be neat to see a tub chassis for 1/8 since we don't have to worry about vibration and heat like a nitro engine which is why they use the aluminum.
Heat dissipation will still be key for electrics, especially in long races. Some guys will be running 20+V batteries and slightly higher kV value motors for even more performance.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Actually, running a 30 volt 2ah pack will keep things coller then running a 4ah 15 volt pack and you will get the same power//more run time. Companies will not push r&d untill someone does. I'm sure that some one looking to crash the big party will do it too. I think the future of the class should be slash style trucks, they look good & have more room. All you have to do is mount the body on a 1/8th scale buggy and your set. The more room you ahve the cooler stuff will stay.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i feel there is no need to make a quick change battery system either. these cars should be just like their small brothers and run one pack per race. if you want to run long mains and have a pit guy ect then just run nitro. thats one thing i have always liked about electric, just plug and play. i dont want to have to find a pit guy, buy extra unneeded packs ect.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I would like to see a chassis designed for electric and not a bolt on conversion. Heck the conversions from associated or losi dont even look as good as some of the aftermarket kits.
A slipper would be awesome and a huge improvement too.
Also some plastic spurs so we dont have to try and make the kyosho ones fit every car. Then our expensive toys wont sound like junk.

As for electronics, I would really like to see some sensored systems. Tekin has one on the way but some others would be nice. If they can make an 8th scale as smooth as my lrp comp or tekin rs is in my 10th scale I will be back into electric 8th scale big time.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kvrc
i feel there is no need to make a quick change battery system either. these cars should be just like their small brothers and run one pack per race. if you want to run long mains and have a pit guy ect then just run nitro. thats one thing i have always liked about electric, just plug and play. i dont want to have to find a pit guy, buy extra unneeded packs ect.
Quick change will definitely be a big part of the new development. Racers are going to demand greater than 30 minute run times, and it'll take a pit stop to do that. A 60 minute main will take two battery changes now, with a 5-6S maybe one, but it still takes heaps of time accomplish. With quick change technology there will be no limit to what the electrics can do in regard to racing.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:54 PM
JD
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lutach
The only ones I've seen so far are the Bomb-Proof Products (Which I have and it's very well built), Mr. C has 2 version of his conversions (I have the V1 for my MBX5T and now I've seen the Matrix Concept one which looks nice. There might be another one coming, but it's been delayed a little waiting for the place that's going to make the CF pieces to answer.
Do you have any links to this Mr.C conversion so i can see it?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

My 80's Kyosho Shadow carried a 6S NiCad battery sideways below the main chassis, it's kind interesting, but this setup allowed for near neutral weight distribution and believe it or not allowed for amazing easy battery swaps due to the battery not being inside the bodywork. Hmmmm.. history might repeat itself. I'm curious which of the big companies will actually take the lead on this.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Quick change will definitely be a big part of the new development. Racers are going to demand greater than 30 minute run times, and it'll take a pit stop to do that. A 60 minute main will take two battery changes now, with a 5-6S maybe one, but it still takes heaps of time accomplish. With quick change technology there will be no limit to what the electrics can do in regard to racing.
you may think the class will evolve into a long main format but i bet it wont. many think the only way to sway nitro guys is to have long mains. i have talked to many hardcore nitro guys that have converted and they are fine with 10-15 min mains. just the lower maintence, plug and play alone gets them hooked once they try it.
plus long mains will just make the other people not running 1/8 mad on race day and for good reason. why should they have to marshal such long mains?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No one is going to do battery swaps. I have done it before to run 30 minute mains and it was an absolute PITA. They are not needed and adds complexity. If you want a 60 minute main with "pit strategy", run nitro. Personally, I think 60 minute mains are stupid, but that is my opinion. Anything longer than 20 minutes is really a war of attrition, not driving in my opinion. the field gets spread too thin and people start breaking. I wouldn't mind running triple mains though.

15 minute mains are ideal for most setups these days. I would like to see some innovation, but I think much of it is going to be incremental as opposed to complete redesign. The current 1/8 buggies are very well designed. I think there will be some tweaks to diffs to handle the instant torque and battery placement so the cars are balanced properly.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Meh, people and manufacturers are slow to change. It will all come together in time.

I've been using a quick release battery tray system and a 12/66 32 pitch gear combo(novak 4.5 5000kv motor) for 2 years. My latest conversion will have the connectors integreated into the battery tray and chassis(completion mid to late january) for a sub 3 second battery change plus taking the body on/off.

I see some of you dissagree about the nessesity of a quick release battery system. The way I see it there aren't enough of us to run our own class yet, so were stuck racing nitro's. If were going to race nitros, we might as well beat the pants off them.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

look what castle is doing to help start a revolution. if not for them, where would this deal be right now. a lotta further behind i'm sure. we saw 2 e-bugs in w/a few gassers sunday and their ability to hit it so late and blast over a triple with so much ease that they had to back up to keep from goin into the next lane over or even into the warehouse door was incredible. 1 was a maxx-new-caster and the other was a stock losi e8 both absolutely balls out and nitro had no prayer of makin it, thus they didnt try.

it'll keep goin 4ward as long as u guys keep pushin it (and pullin it ).

R
Old 12-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JD
Do you have any links to this Mr.C conversion so i can see it?
JD,

Sent you a PM with the links with more info and I also sent you info on a member who has one of this kits brand new for sale.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i would say until the economy gets a little better companies will not be taking huge chances.. sales are down across the board electric and nitro
Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Initiate

I think market size and cost to manufacture are whats holding things up. The r&d isn't the problem, I'm sure there are many designs and prototypes of electric 1/8ths sitting around at your favorite brands headquarters.

The cost of making new parts for a completely new buggy is only justifiable if your reasonably sure your going to sell a bunch of them. Manufacturers have been testing the waters so to speak with there conversions. Their also being careful not to compete with themselves, as producing a completely electric 1/8th would cut into gas 1/8ths sales.

I think rtr is part of the equation aswell. To open that market up manufacturers need to introduce a 1/8th rtr brushless buggy w/lipo & charger with a price close to that of a rtr gas. I don't think they can (or want to)do that yet.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can get the Caster RTR for $550 right now. all you need is batteries and charger.
http://www.casterracingusa.com/produ...1&cat=1&page=1
And it's made to accept all of the 1/10th size batteries you allready own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.