Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help buying a electric off-road buggy or stadium truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanx. How much do you guys tthink an orion sv2 17 turn motor would boost the speed.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

If you get the Rustler, get an RPM wide front bumper for it too. Less than $10 and will make the front end nearly bulletproof.

If you can afford the VXL you SHOULD do it, the difference is worth much more than the added cost. Rustler VXL is just plain nuts for bashing.

If you go with the XL5, I'd say run the stock motor until it fails. That will save you some up front cost and let you get used to it before starting to go too fast. The 12t Titan on a 7 cell battery is suprisingly fast and you might find that you like it just fine. It will burn out eventually so you will need to replace it at some point anyway, might as well use it until then.

For upgrades I've heard a lot of good things about the Speed Gems motors. Also try the Traxxas forums at http://monster.traxxas.com - there is a Rustler forum on there where these questions have been answered hundreds of times.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

got tons of losi cars for sell if interested in buying a losi car.

pm

if interested
Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Buggy I would look at the Associated B44 At Towerhobbies.They have Discount codes for the Holidays you can pick 1 up for around 290.00 they also have easy pay for the B44 which is a Really sweet Deal.I sold my B44 few months back and I regret it best Darn buggy I've owned.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i have a brand new rustler vxl roller im thinking of selling. its the complete truck minus tires,motor esc,body. this way you can add what electronics you want up front!!! was gonna build a racer but have changed my mine. 100 bucks shipped. pm me if interested
Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

what type of losi cars are you selling and for what price Team horchata
Old 12-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

can i get 40 with a stock rustler xl-5 and an 8 cell
Old 12-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

I wouldn't recommend using 8 cell batteries.. it will burn up those motors in a hurry. And they are so heavy and expensive, you would be better off looking at lipos.

Traxxas does spec the XL5 Rustler at ~35 mph on 7 cells and a taller pinion (included in the box), but again you'll just be burning motors doing that. If you want 40 mph you need to look at the VXL.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

can you guys tell me if this is a good deal and if this is a good esc and motor combo for the rusty. He's asking 150$ for it.

here we have a rtr rustler with a novak super rooster esc a speed gems pro moter with only 2 packs on it rpm ft bumper rest is pretty much stock fast little bugger and in great shape just add batts WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR OFFER AWAY IT HAS SERMO PLUGS ON IT AND I WILL THROW IN 5-1500MAH PACKS SO YOU CAN RUN RIGHT AWAY

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/it...?itemid=458697#
Old 12-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

bad link
Old 12-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

from what i can tell you want fast. no matter what. for the money your willing to spend. you have to remember that with anything you pay for/build theres three things you can get. you can get it cheap, you can get it fast, and you can get it reliable. this goes for anything automotive.

cheap and fast are not reliable....your rustler vxl option. its going to break
cheap and reliable are not fast.....your slash option. VERY durabe
fast and reliable and not cheap......your kit car option.

remember that, and accept the fact that even though you may buy a 300 dollar ride right now, you going to have 600 into it quicker than you think.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bump
from what i can tell you want fast. no matter what. for the money your willing to spend. you have to remember that with anything you pay for/build theres three things you can get. you can get it cheap, you can get it fast, and you can get it reliable. this goes for anything automotive.

cheap and fast are not reliable....your rustler vxl option. its going to break
cheap and reliable are not fast.....your slash option. VERY durabe
fast and reliable and not cheap......your kit car option.

remember that, and accept the fact that even though you may buy a 300 dollar ride right now, you going to have 600 into it quicker than you think.
Horribly misinformed post. The Rustler VXL is tough as nails. Sure, you can break something if you slam into a wall at full speed, but to call it not reliable is simply not having first hand knowledge and speaking of things you don't know. Also you seem to indicate that a "kit car" is more reliable, by that I guess you mean something like a T4, XXXT... they are great racers but not tough bashers.

You don't need $600 into a Rustler VXL either. RPM front bumper and aluminum shock caps for a total of about $20 in upgrades and you need nothing else ever.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 AM
Tech Regular

misinformed, okay. but still, pick 2 of those fast, reliable, cheap and move along. this guy seems to want everything an RC car can be for 250 dollars. i tried that already, it doesnt happen. the VXL's may seem that way....but your still not getting the speed a kit car could get with the same equipment/battery setup. by that i mean, you still need lipo to even dream of running the advertised 70 mph.

i looked for a good while at options and i wouldn't even look at a 100 dollar car (evader) and try to convince myself it would take a beating that these cars take everytime they go out, especially if you never plan on racing.

by something with the understanding that you probably wont see 45 mph out of it, unless you dump money. thats from the mouth of a hobby shop owner, that sells mainly those.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

don't forget the cost of the battery & charger that is NOT included in the cost of the RTR....another 100$-200$ easy there depending on what you pick.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

What im trying to say is should I get the deal posted above or should I get a new one with orion upgrade and trinity reference 6 cell 5000mah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.