The vintage offroad thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

bump
Old 12-23-2008, 03:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a Turbo Optima Mid and a Turbo Optima chain drive but I ended up selling them over the past months or so. I still have another Turbo Optima with Belt Conversion from Stinger Mk.2, a Super Champ and a Porsche 959. Pictures will come as soon as I get back to Asia next month
Old 12-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Some mostly vintage shots

Kyosho Turbo Optima (feat. Lazer ZX5 SP). Hope you enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails The vintage offroad thread-dscn0617.jpg   The vintage offroad thread-dscn0618.jpg   The vintage offroad thread-dscn0610.jpg   The vintage offroad thread-dscn0612.jpg   The vintage offroad thread-dscn0616.jpg  

Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know someone who is selling a vintage Optima (he claims it was a Javelin) for $40. I've always wanted to get an Optima Mid since I had one as a kid, but don't really have any emotional attachment to the original Optima. Alas, the original Javelin body has been discarded.

It has the belt drive upgrade, a broken A-arm, Mid wheels, and what appears to be a Mid body. If it still runs (besides the A-arm), are there any thoughts on if it's worth at least $40 in the open market?
Attached Thumbnails The vintage offroad thread-optima.jpg   The vintage offroad thread-optima1.jpg  
Old 12-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

check ebay, its worth what people are willing to pay for it.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr_bungle
I know someone who is selling a vintage Optima (he claims it was a Javelin) for $40. I've always wanted to get an Optima Mid since I had one as a kid, but don't really have any emotional attachment to the original Optima. Alas, the original Javelin body has been discarded.

It has the belt drive upgrade, a broken A-arm, Mid wheels, and what appears to be a Mid body. If it still runs (besides the A-arm), are there any thoughts on if it's worth at least $40 in the open market?
It's hard to tell from the pictures you posted but if you clean that thing up a bit and make it look nice, you might be able to get upwards of $100 if the right buyer is looking. I would ditch that green body or put it in a separate picture. Make the chassis look as clean and original as possible. You might even separate the wheels and tires and photo them separately. Clean the dirt off them. Most potential buyers of this car want it for the same reason you want a Mid...nostalgia. They will probably want it to look as close to boxart as possible so minimal restoration is required.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the responses...I did check Ebay before posting and there is limited availability of Optimas on there, so it's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison with this one.

What I'll likely do is purchase the vehicle to sell the rolling chassis, then save the wheels / body for my eventual Mid purchase for spares.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I stumbled upon someone selling a Rough Rider, Any one interested can follow the link. http://forums.londonrc.com/showthread.php?t=24810
Old 12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

there is a place here in my town that has tons of older rc stuff.. they have tons of bodies but not real sure what kinds.. here is there number if anyone wants to give them a call. (217) 359-1909
Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've got a pretty good vintage collection myself. I started the hobby in about 1990 for a few years, then off, then back on in 2000-2001 then moved to where there were no tracks so I've been out for a while. After coming back to Tucson I stumbled upon competition hobbies and their incredibly awesome facility and I've been working to restore most of what I have......

Original XXX-T - raced this in 2000, just converted to brushless and lipo, racing it tonight for the first time in 8 years.
RC10B3 - raced this in 2000 too. My XL2p died so I'm waiting on a new radio for it.
Team Losi LXT - got new in 1993, fully operational still.
Team Losi JRX-pro SE - in excellent condition, just got it for free from a buddy. It's all there, I'm just waiting on my new radio for it and I will race it.
Team Losi JRX-pro - was originally a JRX-T, but I converted to a buggy when I got my LX-T. Debating converting it back.
Team Losi Junior T - Got it for free from my buddy along with the jrx-pro SE. It needs a body, wheels, outdrives, a shock, and other misc parts. I'm debating whether it's worth getting together or just using for parts for my other cars.

Here is the fleet:

Old 01-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fabolousRC
I had a Turbo Optima Mid and a Turbo Optima chain drive but I ended up selling them over the past months or so. I still have another Turbo Optima with Belt Conversion from Stinger Mk.2, a Super Champ and a Porsche 959. Pictures will come as soon as I get back to Asia next month
Hey fabolousRC, here is one of your old rides. He sold this one to me back in September 08. The old Optima Mid runner is currently RTR (ready to restore).

Before: Photo from FabolousRC right before he sold it to me.

Work in progress: I still have to remove bit of paint off the rear wing. The display body will be a Marwan repro shell.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Interesting, how do you remove paint without hurting the body?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

You can use brake fluid, just spread it around with a brush and let it sit for a while, you may have do it a couple times to get all the paint, but it does work. Also have heard of people using nitro fuel to remove the paint also.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

bump

I also have an lexon driver for an rc10 and some old brushes in packages. pm me if interested