R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default iNDi 30 Amp Discharger

I just got a Integy 30 amp discharger from ebay for $7 shipped so I really cant complain. Im was mainly looking to get some more capacity out of my batteries because my 2 gp3300s matched drop at the end of the race and when someone discharged them for me they only took 2400mAh. My ep4200 matched peaked at 3600mAh. So with this discharger if I cycle it by charging it at .5 amps and discharging it will the capacity and voltage/power go up? Will it make a big difference if I get the Novak Smart tray? I really dont want to spend alot because Im getting a lipo around the holidays.
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
K_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,195
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King
Default

If you are charging at only .5 amps no you will not increase voltage. You usually get one or the other. Charge at higher amps and get more voltage, but less runtime. Its up to you to figure out where you want the median to be in the whole deal.

With my 4200+ I charge at 6A but I know people who do 5 and 5.5A. Make sure you dont have a cell dead that could be causing your issue. I had that problem also but mine would only take 2000 out of 4200.

Plus 3300s are pretty old.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Pro-Line - Team Orion - Stickit1 - Schelle
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
If you are charging at only .5 amps no you will not increase voltage. You usually get one or the other. Charge at higher amps and get more voltage, but less runtime. Its up to you to figure out where you want the median to be in the whole deal.

With my 4200+ I charge at 6A but I know people who do 5 and 5.5A. Make sure you dont have a cell dead that could be causing your issue. I had that problem also but mine would only take 2000 out of 4200.

Plus 3300s are pretty old.
I meant I normally charge my nimh at 4 amps, but when I charge them to put them on the discharger, shouldnt you do it at a low amp rate or will it help equalize the batteries at all?

I dount all of my batteries had 1 dead cell. I got my ep4200 from a sponsored racer who only charged his batteroies at 4 amps.

Will I see a gain of performance if I use the 30 amp discharger or do I need to Novak Smart tray I see performance gain? These batteries have around 40 runs on them. How much more capacity do you think it will add if I discharge them 10-20 times?
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
K_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,195
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King
Default

A 3300 cell will store around 3300......hence their name. Charging at a lower rate will help with false peaking issues (I dont know what charger you use). Does that Integy discharge EACH cell? Thats the best way to do it to make sure each has been brought down to a certain level. I used to bring mine down to .90v per cell.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Pro-Line - Team Orion - Stickit1 - Schelle
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
RC Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 1,355
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad
Default

The 30 amp indi is good for quickly discharging packs, and the 30 amp rate is a little hard on the cells but does seem to condition them to dump faster.

The indi discharger does only 6 cells, and all at once so a sideXside is treated the same as a stick pack. Discharging the cells individually will probably give you the better runtime your seeking as they'll be equalized which the indi can't do.
__________________
GV2 Pro, XXX4G+, Blitz SCT, CRC GenXL
RC Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
A 3300 cell will store around 3300......hence their name. Charging at a lower rate will help with false peaking issues (I dont know what charger you use). Does that Integy discharge EACH cell? Thats the best way to do it to make sure each has been brought down to a certain level. I used to bring mine down to .90v per cell.
I have the Duratrax Onyx 230. CHarges up to 7 amps, shows voltage and mAh. It just discharges the battery as a whole. Does this discharger bring the battery down to 5.4 volts (.9 per cell?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
The 30 amp indi is good for quickly discharging packs, and the 30 amp rate is a little hard on the cells but does seem to condition them to dump faster.

The indi discharger does only 6 cells, and all at once so a sideXside is treated the same as a stick pack. Discharging the cells individually will probably give you the better runtime your seeking as they'll be equalized which the indi can't do.

Well that is kinda the opposite of what I wanted.....them dumping faster. So with the discharger I have now it wont condition the batteries so they can hold my capacity and voltage? The reason I dont want to get the Smart Tray is because I am getting the Orion 3800 lipo around the holidays but I still will use my current batteries. I can get a Novak smart tray for $27 shipped but I will only get it if this discharger is a BAD thing by dumping faster and being hard on the cells.
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
K_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,195
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King
Default

Here's some good tips:

Higher charger = more punch less runtime
Higher discharge more punch less runtime

opposite is also true. Think about it, if you are cramming amps into the battery at a higher rate vs a slower, prolonged rate, you would get more punch.

So if you are only concerned about run time and not punch (hope you dont run stock) then charge at like a 4A and discharge at a 5-10A.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Pro-Line - Team Orion - Stickit1 - Schelle
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
Here's some good tips:

Higher charger = more punch less runtime
Higher discharge more punch less runtime

opposite is also true. Think about it, if you are cramming amps into the battery at a higher rate vs a slower, prolonged rate, you would get more punch.

So if you are only concerned about run time and not punch (hope you dont run stock) then charge at like a 4A and discharge at a 5-10A.
Doesnt this discharger discharge until .9 volts per cell or 5.4 volts? Wouldnt being on a discharger be better than no discharger at all? LOL, I run stock. I just moved up to stock truck amateur so I dont need every bit of speed. My charger doesnt discharge.
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
K_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,195
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King
Default

If you want stock you want more punch.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Pro-Line - Team Orion - Stickit1 - Schelle
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
If you want stock you want more punch.
What is punch if it dumps at the end of the race? I have only been to ocrc 3 times, twice racing so I need to get better rather than have something more powerful.
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
Tech Champion
 
Briguy's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa , IL
Posts: 8,128
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy
Default

When I needed to bring Nimh batteries to life I`d charge them at .5 Amps , then discharge with the Indi 30 , then Novak Smart Tray . The amount of cycles depended on the condition of the batteries . This brought the packs back to full max for run time and increased the voltage for punch .
__________________
At Your Service Vinyl Works
Royal R/C & Hobby
Leisure Hours Hobby & Raceway
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
Tech Master
 
jkas10's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Living in Paradise! Not really...
Posts: 1,217
Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
When I needed to bring Nimh batteries to life I`d charge them at .5 Amps , then discharge with the Indi 30 , then Novak Smart Tray . The amount of cycles depended on the condition of the batteries . This brought the packs back to full max for run time and increased the voltage for punch .
Ditto - Like Briguy says, your batteries need to be cycled, or reconditioned, to get the performance and run time out of them that you are looking for. Cycle them by charging them, then use the indi discharger, then tray them on a smart tray. The end result will be a pack that will take more than 2400 mah to fill, thus increasing the runtime like you are hoping.
To clarify the difference between your indi discharger and a smart tray: The goal is to discharge so each individual cell has .9 volts remaining. The indi 0-30 discharges the WHOLE pack to 5.4 volts. (6 x .9). The problem is that over time, the cells get out of balance because it can't do individual cells. Some cells may be losing too much energy while others may still have way more than .9 volts. When you have a few cells with more energy left in them, you will peak sooner when charging and that is why you are only getting 2400 mah into them. If you checked each individual cell, some would be fully charged and some wouldn't be.
This is where the smart tray is very neccessary. The smart tray discharges each cell individually until each cell has exactly .9 volts. It makes sure that before you charge, each cell starts at the same point.
When you pack has been unequal for a period of time, it takes a few cycles to retrain it.
So, find a good deal on a smart tray, gently charge, use the Indi 0-30 to discharge the pack and train it to discharge at a good rate, then equalize each cell on the smart tray. Repeat as neccessary and keep checking the mah to recharge and watch the battery temps and avoid overheating.
Again, by doing this, you will train the pack to get the performance you want and also increase run time.
Good luck!
__________________
Jeremy Kasten - Cole's Pitman! (Dad); Kasten Racing: www.facebook.com/kastenracing
THANK YOU Sponsors: Mugen Seiki; REDS; AKA; Leadfinger Racing; NitroPro Fuel; Futaba; RC Addiction Products; Dialed-RC Hobbies; Ben Brocato Designs (BDB); PT RC Racing Oils; CowRC
jkas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkas10 View Post
Ditto - Like Briguy says, your batteries need to be cycled, or reconditioned, to get the performance and run time out of them that you are looking for. Cycle them by charging them, then use the indi discharger, then tray them on a smart tray. The end result will be a pack that will take more than 2400 mah to fill, thus increasing the runtime like you are hoping.
To clarify the difference between your indi discharger and a smart tray: The goal is to discharge so each individual cell has .9 volts remaining. The indi 0-30 discharges the WHOLE pack to 5.4 volts. (6 x .9). The problem is that over time, the cells get out of balance because it can't do individual cells. Some cells may be losing too much energy while others may still have way more than .9 volts. When you have a few cells with more energy left in them, you will peak sooner when charging and that is why you are only getting 2400 mah into them. If you checked each individual cell, some would be fully charged and some wouldn't be.
This is where the smart tray is very neccessary. The smart tray discharges each cell individually until each cell has exactly .9 volts. It makes sure that before you charge, each cell starts at the same point.
When you pack has been unequal for a period of time, it takes a few cycles to retrain it.
So, find a good deal on a smart tray, gently charge, use the Indi 0-30 to discharge the pack and train it to discharge at a good rate, then equalize each cell on the smart tray. Repeat as neccessary and keep checking the mah to recharge and watch the battery temps and avoid overheating.
Again, by doing this, you will train the pack to get the performance you want and also increase run time.
Good luck!

ok, great!!! This is what I needed. The reason I am weary about the Smart tray is because I am only gonna go out to the track a couple more times before I go lipo but if this will be better in the long run I will get it.

So even if the Integy 30 amp discharger doesnt discharge each cell, wouldnt it at least help the battery a bit?
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
jkas10's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Living in Paradise! Not really...
Posts: 1,217
Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default

The indi 0-30 will help a little bit but it won't get your batteries to perform the way you want them to. You will need some type of equalizing tray (Novak Smart Tray isn't the only brand - although most consider it the best) in order to get your packs back into shape.
__________________
Jeremy Kasten - Cole's Pitman! (Dad); Kasten Racing: www.facebook.com/kastenracing
THANK YOU Sponsors: Mugen Seiki; REDS; AKA; Leadfinger Racing; NitroPro Fuel; Futaba; RC Addiction Products; Dialed-RC Hobbies; Ben Brocato Designs (BDB); PT RC Racing Oils; CowRC
jkas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

jkas10, YGPM
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
all for sale offroad pakage yeaklet4 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 35 07-23-2007 01:39 PM
Complete Sell Out "A have to look"........ rcmotorhead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 20 12-20-2006 07:50 PM
MUST LOOK COMPLTE SELL OUT !!!!!! rcmotorhead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 19 12-06-2006 11:36 AM
Duratrax 20 Amp Discharger, Indi Zerothirty-030 Discharger NOTFASTENOUGH R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 05-05-2006 08:07 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:05 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net