Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best NiMH packs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

My favoirte packs are the "Lithium Nanophosphate" cells from A123. You can get them at rclipos.com and many other vendors that sell LiPos.

They are a great comprimise between NiMH and LiPo:
Safety - A123 has the safety of NiMH
Current - High Current capability of LiPo (A123 - 30C continuous, 60C peak)
Weight - For a given capacity; Lighter than NiMH, heavier than LiPo
Old 09-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Cant go wrong with Pro-Match, SMC and Kwik packs.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cracka
so are cheap lipos
Not really. I have been running Hecell lipos that I got for $55 a pack for over a year now and haven't had any problems because I have taken good care of them (not overcharging/overdischarging). I would recommend the Yeah Racing LiPO's, they are proven good and you can't beat the price. You need a hard case LiPO to meet ROAR regulations but if I'm right Yeah Racing just came out with a hard case lipo.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I just found the Hard Racing Hard Case LiPO's. This would be your best bet: http://www.ultralinehobbies.com/inde...=661&parent=72
Old 09-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I have some excellent BRAND NEW GP 3700 6 cell packs on ebay right now, very good prices, team_chris72 seller id.

But seriously, The GP 3700's are a good cell for the money.
The "best" I have had though have been Slingshot EP 4200 cells
I have a Slingshot Ep4200 "race" matched pack and I think it is very good and gives great runtime but the cells are kinda heavy.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Suspended

Angry

Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer
I just found the Hard Racing Hard Case LiPO's. This would be your best bet: http://www.ultralinehobbies.com/inde...=661&parent=72
It's ridiculous suggesting something you haven't used yourself.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Most club tracks follow ROAR rules somewhat loosely.. Like with LiPos.. our track will allow them and prefers they be at least hardcased. ROAR has a short list of "approved" hardcased packs...

I'm interested in learning more about the A123 packs.. there is a guy at our track that has some.. I will have to talk to him more..

There are a couple of problems I see with the A123 packs... first is the size... they don't fit correctly in many cars.. and second is the voltage... 6.6v is going to be dog slow for racing.. that would be like a 2 year old NiMh pack and they are only 2200mah.. so you'll be right on the edge for racing 6 min mains.

Again I see folks talking about LiPo currect capacity "C" rating... I have run everything from a 27t stock to 9turn mod. 4wd and even 3.5brushless with NiMh.. never had a concern with current draw.. I even run an Orion 4800 Lipo 15c pack with the hot mods.. still no problem.. as it may sound good.. i think it is really a "non-issue".. especially with offroad 1/10th scale...

My therory is that some folks have had some really crappy packs and just didn't know it.. just because they cost a lot and were good when first bought.. doesn't mean they remain that way..

Jerome
Old 09-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Motor power comes from 2 things, voltage and current.
Power=voltage X current

If your voltage is lower, as in a 2S A123 pack and you want MORE power...then you have 2 options.
1. get a 3S A123 pack (MORE voltage)
and/or
2. get a higher KV motor (to draw MORE current)
Old 09-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Get Promatch Racing batteries, you can get them ready to run. Their soldering work is great, never had one break the solder during racing.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Some of the stuff in here is going over my head, as I am just getting back into electric R/C; LiPo is especially new to me.

I'm planning on running my Novak HV BL setup on NiMH until I get a better feel for what LiPo offers; that and I would need a LiPo charger.

So if someone could answer these quick, simple questions for me, I'd appreciate it: What type of mAh should I be looking to run in a NiMH/BL setup? And what is the best brand of pre-assembled 6-cell packs (I've checked out Orion and MaxAmps, but I'm not sure which would be best)?

Thanks.

Last edited by gfx; 09-23-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by gfx
Some of the stuff in here is going over my head, as I am just getting back into electric R/C; LiPo is especially new to me.

I'm planning on running my Novak HV BL setup on NiMH until I get a better feel for what LiPo offers; that and I would need a LiPo charger.

So if someone could answer these quick, simple questions for me, I'd appreciate it: What type of mAh should I be looking to run in a NiMH/BL setup? And what is the best brand of pre-assembled 6-cell packs (I've checked out Orion and MaxAmps, but I'm not sure which would be best)?

Thanks.

You're asking for a simple answer to a question there is no simple or pat answer to. As you can see nearly everyone has a different answer to what's best, at least what they like best. Best you could do is set YOUR budget, spend the most that YOU can afford, and just go with it.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:51 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gfx

Thanks.
So, if someone could answer my above questions, rather than giving a lecture, I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gfx
So, if someone could answer my above questions, rather than giving a lecture, I'd appreciate it.
haha...IMO, regarding mah, the more the merrier, 4200 on up would be fine, I would think... I can also vouch for promatch, used them before with no problems. I've also heard good things about Slingshot batteries. HTH
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by stitchy
haha...IMO, regarding mah, the more the merrier, 4200 on up would be fine, I would think... I can also vouch for promatch, used them before with no problems. I've also heard good things about Slingshot batteries. HTH

Cool... thanks.

I've seen some 6 cell packs that are 5000mAh, so I'm guessing that would be even better. I just wasn't sure if I needed to go that high. And can I get promatch and Slingshot pre-assembled packs?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

More mah is more run time and also more $$, so...up to you. I didn't see if you were racing or bashing...that could be part of the consideration...

With Promatch, you can configure a matched pack to be assembled. I could be wrong, but Slingshot's pre-made packs seem to be unmatched.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.