Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? >

Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?

Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?

I am thinking of trying the Tekin Series of Sensored ESCs and motors, probably the cheaper RS version instead of the pro in a stadium truck. Anyone can provide the following info?

- What is the difference betweenthe RS and RS Pro?
- How does Tekin's motor compare to say novak motors?
- Is the sensor wire attached to the motor or removable?
- Is the sensor wire removable from the ESC?
- Can you custom program the ESC with a PC and is the software needed to do this included? if not, how much for it?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I just got an rs esc but haven't run it yet.
The sensor wire is removable.
You can do a lot of adjustments on the esc its self but if you want custom setting you need a hotwire (about $30-$35)
The rs has a 5turn brushless limit the rs pro has no turn limit.
The rs pro a little thicker but the footprint is the same.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just ordered my RS so my statements are based purely off specs noted on the Tekin web sit.

The RS has a motor limit wheras the RS PRO does not. Resistance is lower on the PRO.

The sensor wire may or may not be wired to the motor - it depends on the motor. The LPR and Losi motors have a removable wire, Novak is hard wired. The sensor wire is removable from the ESC.

One of the features I liked about the RS is that it is programmable from a PC (with the required interface). The Losi Excelorin is also programmable from a PC, but its physical dimensions eliminate it from consideration (won't fit in my RB5).

One thing I don't like about the RS is that the +/- leads are next to each other. I'm probably too paranoid, but I'd like a bit more space between the battery connectors.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Does the Tekin software (PC) support 64-bit operating systems (OS), like say Windows XP Pro 64-Bit Edition?

The only let down with Castle's software was that their driver doesn't support 64-Bit OS. I had to setup my software on my brother's machine to adjust my ESC. Well, since I'm not adjusting it everyday, it's not that biggie, but would be nice to be able to mess around with it on my machine so I don't have to bother other people for their 32-bit machines...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A bit off topic, but you might try a 32-bit virtual machine like Microsoft's virtual PC.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The hotwire software is not currently 64bit compatible but they are working on a 64bit version.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i just ran my RS pro's this weekend for the first time after updated and tweaking the speeder with the hotwire this little unit makes this speed controller far better than any other not that it isnt great without it but the ability to change timing wow what a difference plus the redline motors are super i was running a 7.5 in my 2wd buggy great motor
Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have an R1 in my truck and an RS in my buggy. I just ran the buggy this past weekend with a Speedpassion 17.5. It was real good, no complaints. My friend had a laptop with the hotwire, and we made some adjustments with it and upped the timing. The truck usually gets a 10.5 or a mild modified and as long as I'm not overgeared, it's fine. With the R1 Pro, I can run more motor than anyone needs and not have a problem. The Redline sensorless motors are very nice and you won't notice any problem with them in offroad, even on starts. I have no direct experience with their sensored motors, however.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here's my 4wd 6.5 setup:
Attached Thumbnails Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?-randys4wdrssetup.jpg  
Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by bprocket
One thing I don't like about the RS is that the +/- leads are next to each other. I'm probably too paranoid, but I'd like a bit more space between the battery connectors.
Having those two posts next to each other is no less dangerous than have the three phase posts next to each other, or next to the battery posts, or in between the phase posts. If any of them short together, boom. Doesn't really matter which two either, it will cause a fatality. Besides, we're talking traces within the width of a hair close on the board with the same power running through them.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

80 timing ?!
I don't know what unit is used here but if it equivalent to "brushed" timing, it's an absolutly massive amount of timing
Old 09-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by Mister-T
80 timing ?!
I don't know what unit is used here but if it equivalent to "brushed" timing, it's an absolutly massive amount of timing
It's 80 on our 0-100 scale (0-30*.) So it's about 24*
Old 09-17-2008, 03:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sorry to hijack the thread but where can I find the RS PRO?
I still don't have one.
I have the R1 but i am looking to get the sensored stuff and start getting rid of my mamba stuff and R1's

Thanks for any help
Tony
Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tdeal823
Sorry to hijack the thread but where can I find the RS PRO?
I still don't have one.
I have the R1 but i am looking to get the sensored stuff and start getting rid of my mamba stuff and R1's

Thanks for any help
Tony
Getting rid of the Mambas? You must be running at a track that adheres to a "sensored-only" rule?

Back to the subject. I can't find these ESCs! They seem to be back ordered everywhere!

Cain, did you ever buy the Tekin? If so, which one did you settle on?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Nope I haven't . Still checking a few things out before I decide what to go with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.