Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? >

Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Hey guys, I am having major issues with motor temp and the motor losing power. When it gets up to 70-80c the motor loses a lot of power, I am running a rs/redline 17.5t combo and the temp seems to effect this motor much more than others. Anyone else experienced this problem? I have run other motors up to 90-95c without any loss in performance. I have tried many different firmwares, fdr's and settings on speedy and nothing seems to work. The car isnt super slow but not as competitive as other motors.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Crawling

Will a RS ESC work for crawling and will it take a 55t brushed motor? I am putting together a crawler and already have an RS ESC and don’t want to have to buy another one. Thank you.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by prcoasti
Will a RS ESC work for crawling and will it take a 55t brushed motor? I am putting together a crawler and already have an RS ESC and don’t want to have to buy another one. Thank you.
this was asked on tekins site

http://forum.teamtekin.com/phpbb3/vi...hp?f=30&t=2255
Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What is the setup,gearing, and track size you're using the 17.5 on?

Yes the RS can run in a crawler.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default ?

Read the forum but did not se anything about if it would work with a 55T brushed motor. Sorry to keep asking I am very new to electric RC and still don’t understand all the terminology and don’t want to mess up my ESC. And thank you for the help.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trap121
Yes, there is a 13mm torque rotor and a 13mm rotor

TT2277 13mm torque rotor

TT2273 13mm rotor
Thanks Trap..
Old 11-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Heya randy,
My current setup is :
B44
rs/17.5t redline
31/72
v198 firmware
motor timing full advance
esc timing 15 advance
Throttle profile 3
neutral 0
drag brake 20

I have worse results with v200 and v200 vegas. Doesnt seem to matter what firmware I use or gearing. As soon as the motor gets to around 75c I lose around 10-15% in performance. I can do low 27's and I end up doing high 29's when it reaches 75c. I have tried running it tuned down a little but I still cannot compete against speed passion v2 and fantom ion 2. Main problem is speed down the straight. This is a track I run on, the main straight is around 15 metres long.
http://www.keilorrc.com.au/images/KeilorTrack.jpg
I used to run the same settings in v200 with esc timing at 10 and boost at 10 with either .2 or .7 delay but the motor got way too hot like 90-95c.
I have been told by other redline users that they have experienced the same thing in different categories. Have I got a dud motor? Should the redline operate fine @ 85-90 degrees or is that past it's threshold?

Last edited by lookieaefanboi; 11-18-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
Heya randy,
My current setup is :
B44
rs/17.5t redline
31/72
v198 firmware
motor timing full advance
esc timing 15 advance
Throttle profile 3
neutral 0
drag brake 20

I have worse results with v200 and v200 vegas. Doesnt seem to matter what firmware I use or gearing. As soon as the motor gets to around 75c I lose around 10-15% in performance. I can do low 27's and I end up doing high 29's when it reaches 75c. I have tried running it tuned down a little but I still cannot compete against speed passion v2 and fantom ion 2. Main problem is speed down the straight. This is a track I run on, the main straight is around 15 metres long.
http://www.keilorrc.com.au/images/KeilorTrack.jpg
I used to run the same settings in v200 with esc timing at 10 and boost at 10 with either .2 or .7 delay but the motor got way too hot like 90-95c.
I have been told by other redline users that they have experienced the same thing in different categories. Have I got a dud motor? Should the redline operate fine @ 85-90 degrees or is that past it's threshold?
Full motor timing AND 15 on the esc? Leaping lizards batman you are way overtimed! Normally you shouldn't have a problem with loss of power, but too much timing PLUS the heat can cause a loss of power.

Try this setup for your track:
Version 200
5 degrees of timing on the motor
15 in the esc with boost
FULL turbo timing (20) with a .6 delay

Gear up a couple teeth on the pinion since you will be running much cooler with the reduced timing and to take advantage of your new-found torque.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You're running a 17.5 in 4wd?!

Right ok. You have way too much timing initially.

You should be trying something like 10 on the motor, 20 on timing boost with turbo for the long straight. I'd start out with .5 delay and see how it feels.

I also think you're overgeared but having not ran a 17.5 in a 4wd buggy myself I'm reserving judgment.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Ok guys I am going to try :
5 on motor
15 esc
full boost
33/72 gearing

I am also wondering whether 20 on drag brake may be effecting temp?
Old 11-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last edited by littlejohn; 11-19-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Master

Is it just me? or has Tekin Support gone on an early Xmas break??
I've sent a couple of emails over the course of last week and have have yet to hear back from them.
I have had a few exchanges of emails from Randy regarding my setup. But the cry for help was for a RSPro that had just come back from warranty and is now exhibiting the same prob as the previous dead one.

HELP??
Old 11-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlejohn
Is it just me? or has Tekin Support gone on an early Xmas break??
I've sent a couple of emails over the course of last week and have have yet to hear back from them.
I have had a few exchanges of emails from Randy regarding my setup. But the cry for help was for a RSPro that had just come back from warranty and is now exhibiting the same prob as the previous dead one.

HELP??
Are you able to call them? Thats what I do and havent had a problem yet
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

What is your problem? It doesn't hurt to throw it on the forums in case someone else had the same issue and solved it.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Krio
What is your problem? It doesn't hurt to throw it on the forums in case someone else had the same issue and solved it.
For the record, I received an email fro Ty this morning and will have to send my ESC back.. Since sending the first email, my other RSPro is exhibiting the same prob.

Below is the email I sent detailing the issue, with pics attached to show how my electronics are being layed out, plus youtube url to show the track I'm running at.

Thanks for asking.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replacement RSPro, I received it just under a month ago.
I've since only being able to drive my car a few times as I've had other commitments.
Having said this, I'm pretty frustrated with the RSPro at the moment as once again I have no power from the switch.
I posted on RCTech a few weeks back saying that I was experiencing intermittent power dropouts after big jumps. Randy suggested that I change my plugs, which I did even though this did not improve things.
Since then things have gone from bad to worse to down right frustrating.
I now get no response whatsoever from my RSPro yet, I can feel the RSPro heating up. I have confirmed this with my temp gun which shows the unit heating up beyond 110F (I promptly unplug the batts after this). Note that this happens even though nothing else has power and I get no beeps or lights from the RSPro.
I have not attached an external BEC (as I don't have one handy) to confirm whether or not it's just another dead BEC. I suspect that its more than this.

I have attached a few pics to show how I have the Tekin electronics laid out in my B44. I am willing to accept responsibility if it is somehow my fault, otherwise it would be greatly appreciated it you could let me know what on earth is going on.

Below a youtube link to where I drive. (pls note the B44 in this vid was running the 1st RSPro, which died about 3 packs after I made this clip.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjhASBFDgpg (fast forward the first couple of mins)

PS. Less than 6 months ago I was running Castle gear in all my cars without a single problem. I decided to make the switch to Tekin as I was wanted sensored setups. I currently have the following Tekin gear.

3x RS Pro
2x RX8
2x T8 2050
1x Redline 4.5T
1x Redline 5.5T
1x Redline 17.5

As you can see I have invested heavily in Tekin and so far have been extremely disappointed in the RS Pro as not a single one has worked for more than 6ish packs (10-15min/pack)

PLEASE CAN YOU HELP!!

Regards,
John Hoang
Attached Thumbnails Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?-esc-mounting.jpg   Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?-layout.jpg   Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?-soldering-esc.jpg   Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?-soldering-motor.jpg   Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad?-swtich-location.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.