Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help choosing car

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

but i do plan to track the car and i am a begginer in offroad racing.
ooohhh and TimNJ is the setup u gave me any good cause i have quite a few. i do appreciate it for giving me a sheet.

TY
TC5AE
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC5AE
but i do plan to track the car and i am a begginer in offroad racing.
ooohhh and TimNJ is the setup u gave me any good cause i have quite a few. i do appreciate it for giving me a sheet.

TY
TC5AE
The B44 setup sheet that I posted along with the pics of my car on the B44 thread is a slightly modified Jared Tebo setup from the 2007 worlds. I used his setup for my base and made slight changes (camber, ride height & toe)from there to suit my driving style and the track(s) I race on. I also switched to a set of green dot JConcepts Goose Bumps tires which seem to work real well and don't pack up on our hardpacked clay track that usually is at least a little bit loamy on top by the time the 1/10 4wd class gets out on the track.

Your final setup will depend on the type and size of the track on which you will be running. Since you're new, I'd suggest running the car with the kit set up, have fun with it, learn about it and then start making changes to suit your track and driving style.

As for your PM regarding SoCal RC tracks, I haven't the slightest idea. (I'm in NJ) Check out the track finder resource on hobbytalk.com: http://www.hobbytalk.com/trackfinder/
Old 09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TY
Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The reason i didn't recomend the rc10b4 (I drive a B4 and T4) is that it is the harder of the three big 2wd's to drive hard, The b44 is good with the stock set-up out of the box and a good place to start.

I pretty much disagree with 4wd being your starter car in off road because it's a secondary class. I like 4wd alot (pretty good at it too) but 2wd is the class in off road. In addition maintence on a 4wd is more intensive. For instance i don't drive my 4wd as much as my 2wd cause A) It's easier to drive therefore i don't need my skills super sharp like i o with 2wd which just makes you that much better B) If 4wd was my primary car in my area i would have 6-8 guys to race as opposed to 25-30. C) If 4wd was my primary car i would be driving it entirely and be rebuilding it frequently a slopped out 4wd will not drive well. >Worn dogbones will cause the car to shutter coming on to power out of corners etc. when a 4wd is tired it's bit of a handful which can and prolly will frustrate you.

Just look at TimNJ's youtube video of the 4wd A main there is only 5 Cars participating......

This is sound advice here but the choice is up to you.

4wd's also accelerate quicker and go faster so if you see the wall or another car you'll be biting your tongue.

If your lipo consider prolly the best 4wd out the Kyosho lazer zx-5 sp, If you can get parts locally i would not pass this car up. Shocks are the best and easier to rebuild and the car handles excellent out of the box.

It's been dialed at the 5 tracks i have raced it at without really changing anything or much at all.... like ride height and different tire compounds and patterns.

Go with what you truly want in the end but i would check out the local track first and see how it's going down there. Pick locals brains and maybe see if you can test drive someones.

I also recomend the lrp sphere comp paired with a novak motor...... It's Amazing.