Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Question for rocketron,

What settings were team drivers using on the esc when testing the e-8? Did you guys find a setup with the esc that performed the best? I am thinking in terms of braking %, drag brake, punch control, etc.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

When I first connected mine to a PC and read the settings, I was surprised to see it was set at very low timing. Although it does seem to have over the top power even at that setting, has anyone experimented with that?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

More timing would mean more heat. Maybe when it gets colder down here I can try it, but for now, I'm happy as it is.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Were you guys able to get the firmware to update? I don't know if there is even an update, but when I click on the button it does not display the window that is supposed to appear according to the manual.

-chris
Old 11-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

It's all pretty new. Might be a little while before they come up with even newer stuff. Give it some time, they'll likely have the profiles from successful racers at big events posted. I can see this blossom into a whole new realm of tuning.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by R40Victim
It's all pretty new. Might be a little while before they come up with even newer stuff. Give it some time, they'll likely have the profiles from successful racers at big events posted. I can see this blossom into a whole new realm of tuning.
I hear ya. I do have to say though, this buggy is absolutely fantastic!! Nice job Losi!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

I can see people developing different profiles for specific tracks, weather conditions, tire compounds, gearing, etc... Then post them online, so others can download and try them at their home track. The Future of electric 8th scale is pretty bright!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wfdfiremedic
Were you guys able to get the firmware to update? I don't know if there is even an update, but when I click on the button it does not display the window that is supposed to appear according to the manual.

-chris
I have a 1/10 Xcelorin system also, and the update prompt does work for me, I did update the esc firmare. The same software install works on the 1/8 Xcelorin that I have, but I have not tried to update firmware on it yet. I'll try to check that tomorrow and let you know.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Ok I just tried it and the update firmware option works properly for me. You might want to try reinstalling the Losi software.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Addict

ok....thanks for checking.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

guys,

I am going to try and adjust the brake curve today from linear to a more mild curve. I will let you all know if this improves the braking.

Last edited by wfdfiremedic; 11-08-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

wow...that was a Long 18pages.... got my 2.0 the other day and my 1.0 is already being slated for "E ifying"....so i guess the general concensus is the Losi system is the way to go ? 1700 or 2100 ?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow!!! I finally got my 2.0 E conversion dialed in, at least for smooth flowing tracks with little air. Went down to San Antonio with a friend to run a buggy shoot out race and qualified 5th. The first four guys were top tier locals. Not too shabby. I didn't stop for simulated pits, but after the first round of fuel stops, I was up to second and never got below fourth until I dropped out at 17 and a half minutes due to voltage cut off. I'm running the 4800 4s Zippy r-spec that you can pick up for $80. Again not too shabby for CHEAP batteries. I'm very happy with Losi's first attempt at a race worthy electric 1/8 platform.

1700kv system on 4s
80% throttle(20% cut)
30% brake
0 drag brake
lowest motor timing
high start power
default dead band(may go larger due to inadvertent braking)

throttle and brake curves tamed down quite a bit on esc only

Cheers everyone and spread the love. Let those guys that you trust take her for spin. We need to push this class hard for a year or two before those fume huffers see the light, the FLASHLIGHT!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Well today I finally got a full day's time in on the 8ight-E. I raced it at "The Grove" in Rock Hill, SC - the race tracks at Hobby Stop. Additionally, I was able to try out the Zippy-H 4s 5000 pack too.

First off, I am LOVING the 8ight-E. The more time I spend with it the more comfortable I am and the more capable the buggy feels. Best of all, it is very predictable. I've made no changes to the setup out of the box other than trying out a variety of tire choices, and just that alone is enough to get a much different driving style. I did find that Bowties in the rear really helped by losing a bit of side bite on the backend. Forward bite was great through a variety of track conditions today, and changing the front tires allowed me to adjust the push/oversteer tendancies. When I was able to hit the same line on consecutive laps, it felt like the buggy was on autopilot.

I did run into a few problems, so a bit of warning to others. I had three different screws back out today, one cost me the A-main. Front shock mount screw backed out about halfway first, when I noticed it I went over most of the screws again on the buggy and found that most were loose. Two that I did not check ended up costing me however. About 6 minutes into the 10 minute main I lost steering on the left front. I thought it was just a poped ballcup but the marshall said "Broken". After I got back to the bench I saw that ballstud had come out of the bearing carrier completely.. which was odd because the locknut that is captured on the lower side was still there. It screwed back in snug, so I can only assume that it didn't pull out but worked it's way loose. I ran a bit more after the main and started hearing some really bad grinding so I looked it over again.. I lost a motor mount screw. One of the two screws that mounts the motor to the sliding plate. The motor was swinging hinged on the other screw, and the pinion had ground out a nice chunk of my motor mount. I'm going to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it, probably use red loctite in most locations.

On the upside I had a great experience with the $80 Zippy-H 4s 5000 mah battery pack. I didn't notice any loss in power from the Maxamps 6000 mah pack I had been using, and the batteries actually ran cooler. After a 6 minute heat it took about 2200 mAh back in, so I'm guessing that 15 minutes might be possible. This is with a 12t pinion and a track that was very loose, lot of wheelspin and sliding it around corners, so not a very efficient condition. One thing I really liked about the pack was the size. The cells are longer and thinner than Maxamps, so it fills the length of the tray better and sits much lower. It should make the buggy a bit more stable in the turns.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

guys,

thanks for all the info. It is great to hear the experience of other drivers. I too have found numerous screws loose, so make sure you go over everything thoroughly. I also found that locktite on the pinion grub is essential because it will come loose and fall off (never had to do this on 1/10th). I will probably locktite the motor mount screws as well after reading the above.

I am using stock esc settings as well, but I am going to play with the brake curve some to try and get a brake setup that doesn't lockup so fast. I also run a novak 13 tooth pinion. The novak pinions are really nice because they use a big gub screw that can be really tightened down without fear of stripping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.