Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this normal behaviour for a Mamba Max? + some BL terms Qs

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Whoops, I missed that last sentence.

Ok, now by "everything" do you mean even the BEC voltage that powers the receiver (and thus in turn the steering servo)? Will that go off too? Or just the motor control.

----

I've tried setting Lipo cut off to 4v now (still with the crappy Venom pack) and see if that'd prevent it from going so low that Mamba shuts down. It still happens, but less often I think.

Weird thing happened, I just put in the battery and tried pulling full trigger from rest a few times, and it didn't shut down. So I took it back and started to put on the body. Obviously the car was completely still at this point. When I finished putting it on, I got back to my radio just to find out the throttle wasn't working again lol. How'd that happen while I was putting on the body with no strain on the battery?

I noticed the 2 thin wires going to the On/Off switch were right on top of the Mamba's heatsink, and the body pretty much lies right on top of it. So I thought maybe that had something to do with everything, so I moved the wires elsewhere. It ran ok for a while and then when the battery got weaker after some time it started shutting down again.

Anyway, I'll just stop worrying about it cuz I'm sure none of this will ever happen again with a good Lipo. It's just kinda weird how it shut down when I was putting the body on, I can't explain that. =/
Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shurcooL
I think I have only one more unanswered question: what exactly is thermalling for an ESC? How does the Mamba Max ESC react when it "thermals"?
Mine reacted by letting out some smoke and not working anymore
Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Really? Damn. I thought the MM ESC was thermally protected and would never burn out, as long as you ran it within the allowed voltage limit (3s Lipo or 12 NiXX).

Directly from Castle FAQ page:
The ESC is thermally protected, but the batts and motor are NOT.
Did you get a free replacement from Castle, if it was within the 1 year that's under warranty?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:28 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Thermaling is when the components get too hot in the speedo and it will shut down til it is cool enough to operate without damaging components. Most speedos do have them. The Sidewinder will thermal easier than the MM because of the better components in the MM being more resistant to heat. Do sometimes malfunctions happen before thermaling...............well yes it can happen. The MM is more heat resistant than most but it can still happen.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shurcooL
Really? Damn. I thought the MM ESC was thermally protected and would never burn out, as long as you ran it within the allowed voltage limit (3s Lipo or 12 NiXX).

Directly from Castle FAQ page:

Did you get a free replacement from Castle, if it was within the 1 year that's under warranty?
Nah it's not under warranty going to have to pay for a repair/replacement. Only running 6 cell but with a Trinity N60 motor (9000kv or something). Has done many races with the same setup and it's in the middle of winter here at the moment so it's a bit strange. It just gave up about 4 minutes into a race. So I guess one of the FETs was dodgy gave up at a temperature lower than it should have.
I miss old speedos with massive FETs, was possible to fix them yourself!