Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Anyone remember running foam tires for off-road? >

Anyone remember running foam tires for off-road?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone remember running foam tires for off-road?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Anyone remember running foam tires for off-road?

maybe 10+ years ago I remember it was the "cool" thing to do and people would run foams tires on indoor clay tracks.

anyone remember doing this?

I was trying to find any specs on what tires were used, but coming up blank
Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

About 20 years ago, I used to run my Kyosho Optima 4wd on a dirt oval track in Costa Mesa, CA. I and everyone else used to run foam tires there. We then sliced various crosshatch patterns into the tire surface for more grip.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

We used to run foams on High Traction Dirt Oval tracks but I have never seen it in off-road.

Proline/Jaco made tires just for dirt, They had silver, gold compounds and a few others.

They were very hooked up!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As others have mentioned while plenty of people did, and still do, run foams on dirt ovals - but I've never heard of anyone running them offroad on dirt with any success especially considering how hard they are compared to foam insert rubber tires and the fact that rubber compounds have progressed so far in the last 20 years.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

our local track is having some funky times with traction and wanted to try some different things.

I was thinking back to how well the foams used to work and wanted to try them and see if they still do.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Since there are so many variants of foams, there should be one that can come close or beat the performance of rubber tires for your application.

Go to www.mcmaster.com and search "foam", it will help you in seeing all the variations:

Durometer
Tensile Strength
Temperature Range
Density
Stretch Limit
Foam Structure
Compression Recovery
and many more...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haulin79
About 20 years ago, I used to run my Kyosho Optima 4wd on a dirt oval track in Costa Mesa, CA. I and everyone else used to run foam tires there. We then sliced various crosshatch patterns into the tire surface for more grip.

With Paragon traction compound?

We used to do the same all the way up through running Custom Works dominators / intimidators. Only in western PA we'd use window silicone to 'coat' the tire, it would make it very tacky.. like an early rubber slick tire.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

i used to run silicone coated foams on my enforcer sprint car running on a clay dirt oval i also ran "caps", foam tires covered with a skin of rubber that got tacky when they heated up
Old 07-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Funny that yall are saying this. I just saw an ad for some Jaco Prism foams for the Traxxas Rustler and was wondering why in the hell they made special foams for that truck? Guess I know now.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jla8874
Funny that yall are saying this. I just saw an ad for some Jaco Prism foams for the Traxxas Rustler and was wondering why in the hell they made special foams for that truck? Guess I know now.
they make those for the guys that are running a 3cell lipo in their VXL systems and are blowing rubber tires off the rims
Old 07-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation foam in offroad

i was a roar nats race and saw brian kinwald run foams in his last qual. back then the tracks were really dry and blue grooved like a dirt oval track might have been green or yellow compounds and were grooved for improved traction