R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   SBV2 pro buggy, is it any good? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/233323-sbv2-pro-buggy-any-good.html)

Bigcheese 08-15-2008 01:16 PM

I received the SB document. Its very nicely done & some super information. Some of the upgrades have been done by the previous owner, but will definately use some of the changes. I am relieved to see theres hope to make this old buggy competitive. Thank you!!!

Cain 08-15-2008 01:19 PM

Do you have pics of your buggy? wouldn't mind getting that nostalgia feel! :)

tom_chang79 08-15-2008 03:14 PM

That buggy is still competitive, the main thing about the SB Pro that I didn't like was the stock motor mount, since it limited how low of a pinion you can go (the stock Pro mount, not the Sport mount).

The custom machined motor mount on your SB Pro should fix that Bigcheese. Plus your SB Pro is an "LE" model (limited edition), which has the VXB hubs and driveshafts (much beefier then the original Pro).

There is some extra center posts included in the hardware bins I believe, you can use the extra hole that runs down the top chassis plate to the chassis near the center of the car and use the post to stiffen up the chassis as a tuning option.

Generally, if the track is rutted up, you shouldn't use that extra post, but if the track is smooth, stiffen it up will give you a more responsive car...

What's also strange is, I found that the Academy tires that looks like the holeshots tended to hook up much better at where I used to run it as compared to the Holeshots that everyone was running. I could never make the Taper Pins hook up, but you might run it at a track where it'll come in handy...

So long as you adjust your diffs good, and sand the slipper pads ever so often (since all slipper pads glazes up), the buggy hooks up very well...

Another team driver of that buggy (or used to be) is JK Racing. He and I used to pit together at the local track and his SB Pro was DIALED. Oh yeah, the advantage of pitting next to the MRC/Academy guys is that he used to replace the parts for me if I broke it in front of him... Ahh, missed those days when we had three Academy SB Pro drivers pitting next to each other and sharing setup information...

Are you planning to go brushless in your setup Bigcheese?

Bigcheese 08-15-2008 05:48 PM

Tom - I have a Mamba max 4600 going in it. A JR8450 servo, spektrum 3500 receiver & protek 4000 2s lipo.

Cain - I bought a new body yet to be painted, so don't have any pics yet.

I thought those drive shafts looked nice. I did see the extra post but hadn't thought of using it for a stiffener. The thing that I like is I can use a lipo stick pak without having to mess with a saddle config. I've had a xxx4, but wanted something shaft drive too.

tom_chang79 08-15-2008 06:39 PM

The extra posts should be in the screw kit last time I checked... Maybe it's already on the car... I can't remember :lol:

Cain 08-15-2008 07:34 PM

Those fusion tires are really suprising. I know at several tracks they were used with great success for 2wd buggy. If Grand Prix would push there tires, could have a winner there.

Good luck on the vehicle!

Bigcheese 08-19-2008 07:42 PM

I can't find a body for this SB sport!

Brandon A 08-19-2008 11:17 PM

We got an SB body from Stormer about a month ago. Not sure if they have any left as I believe it was some sort of special order but it's worth checking out. If they don't have any in stock you should be able to email them and request it.

tom_chang79 08-20-2008 12:32 AM

I thought that the V2 body was a direct fit for the V1?

Cain 08-20-2008 02:36 AM

Give MRC a call and ask for Tim. he should be able to get you what you need.

Bigcheese 08-20-2008 05:20 AM

Thanks Cain - I'll give him a call.

Bigcheese 08-20-2008 06:30 AM

I talked to Tim@MRC & he's going to fix me up. I'm very pleased because I know MRC & everywhere I checked is out of stock for the older SB body. I tried the V2 body & it does not fit. Tim also had some tips for me that I was unaware of. Great service. Thanks!

Bigcheese 08-26-2008 07:05 AM

I added bearings to the steering. Radio gear is installed. Reglued the Fusion tires & have them on. Waiting for the body to come in. I want to run it but I don't want to screw up the graphite.

Bought the threaded B4 shock bodies & am changing over. Anyone have a shock setup with the B4 shocks? Pistons & oil.
I put 35w & #2 in the front & it feels soft, but thats with the brown springs. I'll probably try the next size spring. BC

Cain 08-26-2008 08:25 AM

try silver rear, green fronts for springs.

As for shock oil. I went with 32.5W front, and 27.5W rear, Trinity oil. I would say you could do 30W all around to start, #2 piston front, #1 rear.

Jason Pelletier 08-26-2008 09:20 AM

I'd pass on this 4wd, b44 or lazer zx-5 sp..... or HB d4 we if you like purples.:nod: