R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   SBV2 pro buggy, is it any good? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/233323-sbv2-pro-buggy-any-good.html)

Metla 07-23-2008 12:09 AM

I'd rank it up there along side any of the top spec race kits, and above a few of them.

Extremely durable, And certainly requires no more maintenance then any other top spec car. Any kit running a "wicked fast" motor will break parts when crashed, and depending on perspective suffer from excessive wear.

Out of the box the car is improved by the steering mod, and the shocks do need looking at, Simply using the associated pistons does wonders and costs next to nothing. I wouldn't use the kit supplied shock oil. Steel out drives are supplied with the latest batch of kits which is an excellent amendment to the kit.

On the track, Quick, agile, hooks up, stays planted, flies true, Its a great car.

Hell, I bought a second one.

Still, Like everything, It won't suit everyone.

big_boss 07-23-2008 01:22 AM

This is a very good car. I have one for about a year or so now & it is very strongly built it survived a lot of abuse with only one broken part (rear gearbox top) and that was because (I believe) I was using an aftermarket carbon rear shock tower, which is a lot stiffer so the next weak thing broke(the gearbox top) I since changed back to the original shock towers, so far so good.
I got a lipo brace to keep my lipo bricks from moving around the chassis (Diggity) as I run lipo only now days.
I did the steering mod to get more steering throw at the spindles, I switched to steel outdrives in the back diff for added reliability & less wear, Got fed up with the original shocks after I bent the shafts a few times (I was rear ended once & I crashed into someone going the wrong way the other time) so put Losi items on the car instead, much better IMO. I also added a front & rear bumper that I found on ebay that might protect the car from a crash or someone running into the back of my car, might help, so far no one did.
You mentioned you want to get $400.00 worth of parts... that's a lot of bucks waisted IMO, If you think you are going to break so many parts just get another kit and use it as a spare part stash(like Metla suggested), does this make cents?
I have a ton of parts that I have not used (arms,hubs,spindles...).
I use a mamba max w/5700 motor & it's very fast w/ lipo power.

20 SMOKE 07-23-2008 03:05 AM

Your going to get a lot of different opinions as you can see,I've been running the buggy since march and have only broke a shock tower and have had no problems getting parts from a main and stormer

Metla 07-23-2008 03:33 AM

Lots of positive comments from people who actually own and run them, Has to be worth more then someone looking at a picture and claiming sales were so low that parts will dry up....

That aside, I wasn't recommending a second car for parts, I was just meaning I was so impressed with mine I bought a second one, and run them both.

Quite a few moths ago I spent $80 or so on spare parts, I still have nearly all of them unopened....

palmtreeRCer 07-23-2008 10:49 AM

well thanks guys i really appreciate the help. sadly im putting the car on hold untill i get a good paying job, for now im just gonna upgrade my pede since its dialed in to perfection for my track.

bdw live in boca, few blocks from rc boca (dont buy from them unless i have to because they suck big time) and i run at the track in south county regional park

thanks a bunch

Tim@MRC 07-25-2008 12:29 PM

Like Smoke said, a lot of differing opinions. Most people who have one, really like it. And parts really isn't a problem, we have most of them in stock. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Tim

Bigcheese 08-14-2008 06:12 PM

OK, I'm needing some help here Tim@MRC. I bought a second hand SB Sport Graphite & its been upgraded with AE shocks.

The problem I have is the diffs. They are steel & thats fine, but I tried to take it apart & the bolt broke. OK, no problem I'll buy new ones. Apparently my new bolts are bigger 2.5, great, except now the thrust washers won't fit, so now I'm looking for those. Then i look at these rings & they're soft judging from the grooves in them. Thrust washers same thing.

What parts do I get to bring this thing up to a pro level diff? I check the manual, sadly it gives no sizes for the parts & I don't read japan. I don't want to waste anymore time. Help! I want to 4 wheel & soon. BC

beeanner 08-14-2008 07:49 PM

Bigcheese,

Here are the part numbers for the original SB Pro diffs:
WT-25 diff rings
ST-T63 Diff screw and thrust washers

And this is the breakdown of parts for the SB Pro car : http://www.modelrectifier.com/resour...RTS%20LIST.pdf

I hope that is what your needing, if those are the wrong ones let me know and ill do my best to get you the correct numbers.

Teinsports 08-14-2008 08:08 PM

Guys, are the parts interchangeable between a SBV2 Pro & SB Pro Kit?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=607

can't seem to locate any spares for the latter....

beeanner 08-14-2008 09:00 PM

Sadly, there are only just a few parts that interchange between the two cars. The SBV2 car was basicly re-designed from the ground up.

Things that are the same between the two are the shocks, steering hubs (depending which SB car you have. there was a change that upgraed the car to the SBV2 style axles and bones) If yours has the axles that use a locknut to hold the wheels on then they are different. After that there really isnt much that swap between the two.

As far as parts, I would contact MRC and see if they can get what your looking for. The SB sport and the SB pro were discontinued a few years ago, but they should still have some parts for them.

Teinsports 08-14-2008 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by beeanner (Post 4740833)
Sadly, there are only just a few parts that interchange between the two cars. The SBV2 car was basicly re-designed from the ground up.

Things that are the same between the two are the shocks, steering hubs (depending which SB car you have. there was a change that upgraed the car to the SBV2 style axles and bones) If yours has the axles that use a locknut to hold the wheels on then they are different. After that there really isnt much that swap between the two.

As far as parts, I would contact MRC and see if they can get what your looking for. The SB sport and the SB pro were discontinued a few years ago, but they should still have some parts for them.

thanks beeanner, that was helpful.

Bigcheese 08-14-2008 09:08 PM

Beeanner - thanks for the quick reply. I'll check into it.

Will the V2 diffs work in my SB sport????

I'd rather use the updated diff if I can. I know that the screw is larger at 2.5, because thats what broke on mine.

Tim@MRC 08-15-2008 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bigcheese (Post 4740209)
OK, I'm needing some help here Tim@MRC. I bought a second hand SB Sport Graphite & its been upgraded with AE shocks.

The problem I have is the diffs. They are steel & thats fine, but I tried to take it apart & the bolt broke. OK, no problem I'll buy new ones. Apparently my new bolts are bigger 2.5, great, except now the thrust washers won't fit, so now I'm looking for those. Then i look at these rings & they're soft judging from the grooves in them. Thrust washers same thing.

What parts do I get to bring this thing up to a pro level diff? I check the manual, sadly it gives no sizes for the parts & I don't read japan. I don't want to waste anymore time. Help! I want to 4 wheel & soon. BC

Hi Bigcheese,
If you shoot me an email, I have a file that has a lot of upgrades that you can do to the original SB. It was compiled by "Cain". In there, he has a diff upgrade to use AE diff parts.
For the diff screw, the problem I found is that the spring they used is too short and bottoms out too soon, which causes the screw to break if you try to tighten it. I've used a diff spring from an old MRC diff, but any diff spring that is slightly longer would work.

Tim

Cain 08-15-2008 08:52 AM

feel free to shoot me a message too. I think I still have that file. Lots of people contributed to it and we got a bunch of good info on getting the V1 series to work.

Tim, check your email.

Bigcheese 08-15-2008 09:12 AM

You guys both have PM's. Thank you in advance. I'm just tickled to get this buggy running nice.

I had read somewhere about the AE diff spring & I just bought a couple along with traxass thrust washers 2.5 mm I.D. I'd rather use the larger bolt, but if the AE spring fixes it i'll use the stock one. I want to use harder washers too.
BC