Wiki Posts
Search

Associated Off Road Desert Truck ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
...and electric or not I probably wouldn't be able to run something as big as an 1/8th scale at my local indoor track
Considering that the Slash and any run of the mill 1/8th buggy share similar dimensions I don't see how it'll be an issue.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
Considering that the Slash and any run of the mill 1/8th buggy share similar dimensions I don't see how it'll be an issue.
Bingo. The Slash is 1/8th scale by RC standards so the SC8 should be the same size. Only difference is, the SC8 looks like it could turn out to be 4WD and thus in a class of its own (??).

(for reference, here's a pic of a 1/8th buggy with a Slash body on it)
Attached Thumbnails Associated Off Road Desert Truck ?-norm_080708-project-21-027.jpg  
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Tech Initiate

or it could race against the slayer. its 4wd and also built on a 1/8th scale chassis (albeit a modified mt one)

Old 07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think a lot of people are missing the point of why the Slash is good for both the sport and for RC racing in general.

The price point, and the durability. I have one and also a nitro 1/8th scale buggy and a truggy. I like having my Slash because sometimes I just want to race.

With the Slash, I bring it, charge my batteries, race, come home, put it on the shelf, and then go get it for the next week. I don't have to do anything to it, just race it.

When beginners come into the sport that want to race, that's all they want to do as well, just race.

If AE makes this much more expensive and/or less easy to maintain(or not able to race in a class with the Slash), I think they are going to find a hard road. From the Slash's release to right now we have probably more than 20 racing regularly at our track. After being in this sport for three years or so, seems amazing, until you think of how smart a product this is, and Traxxas was just lucky enough to get it to market first, and in the right formula.

If the AE offering is $100 more, I predict it will be toast.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

might have to race in a class with the slayer...i can't wait to see body off shots...looks good...still keeping my slash though..haha
Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

More then likely this thing is 4wd and so how could the 2 be raced in the same class? Some from our local track have talked about running these apart if this is 4wd.Like the pro2 and Pro4 class in CORR.I think AE knows better then to allow the price of this truck to get out of control.The market for these trucks are not meant for the RACER,although the racer will have its interest in it.Comparisons at this point are moot because the true details have not even been released.Looks good so far.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Murphster

If the AE offering is $100 more, I predict it will be toast.
I have a feeling that you are correct, It is all just guess work till we see the truck.

The way the traxxas car looks is the first hook, price point is a second hook, it is a hard truck to kill, and people are racing them. All points that are going to be hard to beat.

I have a feeling that the AE car will be one of two things, A close copy of the slash using AE stuff, or it will be a 4wd car for just a little more money and they will try to make their own knitch like the slash has done. And I can hear the logic in the AE board rooms, Our car is only $150 more expensive but it is 4wd and has X,Y,Z....and it says AE on the side...people will toss the slash and buy our new car.

It might happen but this is not the '80's anymore, the slash is already out there and doing very well, I would bet it is doing better then anyone was thinking it would do. I think the best thing would be to make an AE car that could drop right into the slash class with no chances. I would buy one of those and it would sit right next to my gold tub RC10, even if it is a little more expensive then the slash. Make a 4wd car and I will buy another slash, one for the father and one for the son.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Legend

If you think the Slash is for racing you are already wrong , its a basher and nothing more...
Have fun with your Slash`s I do , but I race a Ae and the Ae Corr truck will be no different.

Racing will always be top of the mountain basher`s will have to climb while enjoying this sport....
Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Wild Cherry, your elitism is what kills any hobby.

The funny thing is you don't even see the irony in your own post.

The Slash isn't racing, but if AE makes a truck that would be in the same class, all of sudden that is racing.

I used to work at Performance Automatic in MD, they build drag racing transmissions.
One of the guys there had a 8 or 9 sec car that he bracket raced. I don't remember why, but one year he could run the car, well he ran his mini van instead.

If I remember correctly, he ended up 3rd in the points. But hey, by your logic there no possible way he was racing, after all a mini van isn't a race bred car

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
race1 Audio Help /reɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[reys] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, raced, rac·ing.
–noun
1. a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cherokee
It might happen but this is not the '80's anymore, the slash is already out there and doing very well, I would bet it is doing better then anyone was thinking it would do. I think the best thing would be to make an AE car that could drop right into the slash class with no chances. I would buy one of those and it would sit right next to my gold tub RC10, even if it is a little more expensive then the slash. Make a 4wd car and I will buy another slash, one for the father and one for the son.
If it actually was the 80s the shoe would be on the other foot and you'd be asking, "Why would anybody want to buy a gold-tub Traxxas copy of the original RC10 for about the same amount of money?"

If it's a worthy platform they (racers) will come in droves, and if not it'll fade into the background faster than any other fade vehicle (can you say CRT.5 ??).
Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

I think you are talking about a traxxas bullet, built long before most here could go to the bathroom by themselves....with out requiring a change.

I am a pretty simple guy when it comes to my rc toys, if it looks cool and fun I will buy it. Be it a slash or a 5B. When I was a racing regular, I bought into classes I wanted to run. Some don't want to admit that 99.9% of the rc cars out there could win with the right guy driving it.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Suspended

I think you are talking about a traxxas bullet, built long before most here could go to the bathroom by themselves....with out requiring a change.
LMAO yuppers, that's the one.....

I am a pretty simple guy when it comes to my rc toys, if it looks cool and fun I will buy it. Be it a slash or a 5B. When I was a racing regular, I bought into classes I wanted to run. Some don't want to admit that 99.9% of the rc cars out there could win with the right guy driving it.
.... and/or the right guy setting it up.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Wild Cherry, your elitism is what kills any hobby.

The funny thing is you don't even see the irony in your own post.

The Slash isn't racing, but if AE makes a truck that would be in the same class, all of sudden that is racing.

I used to work at Performance Automatic in MD, they build drag racing transmissions.
One of the guys there had a 8 or 9 sec car that he bracket raced. I don't remember why, but one year he could run the car, well he ran his mini van instead.

If I remember correctly, he ended up 3rd in the points. But hey, by your logic there no possible way he was racing, after all a mini van isn't a race bred car

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
race1 Audio Help /reɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[reys] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, raced, rac·ing.
–noun
1. a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.

You think a new racer is gona join a expensive r/c class if they have to buy and practice for months just to get good enough ?

Is that what your asking for ?
cus it would kill the Slash if we turn it into another racing class ...

We need a inexpensive "FUN" class more than a another racing class.
New Slash drivers getting interested and will progress into a faster racing like the Ae CORR truck or buggy`s ect ..

I love and embrace the Slash as I realize its place in our sport, right from the get go ...

That I`m guilty of I will admit....
Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
You think a new racer is gona join a expensive r/c class if they have to buy and practice for months just to get good enough ?

If that is what your asking for ?
cus
That will kill the Slash if we turn it into another racing class ...

We need a inexpensive "FUN" class more than a another racing class.
New Slash drivers getting interested and will progress into a faster racing like the Ae CORR truck or buggy`s ect ..

I love and embrace the Slash as I realize it place in our sport, right from the get go ...

That I`m guilty of I will admit....
Actually I kinda see where TwoTone is coming from. It's not so much the expensive part, but the fun part.

Right now I'm bumming about my favorite class, Stock Truck. A lot of the fun of Stock Truck was putting effort into wringing every last drop of speed you could get out of these things, and you had to get creative at times when it came to motor tuning and chassis setup. And some of the best stuff came from rumors floating around the pits, little secrets you'd share with your buddies about springs to try or motor brushes to use or a certain line to take around the track. After spending an entire night taking all of this information and applying it to your truck, and then you show up the next week and run away with the show, you've got something to be proud of. You put in the effort and went by experience, and how 'bout that, you won as a result. Sure, maybe that meant you had to buy a few hot rod parts and equipment, but that comes with racing.

Nowadays it seems like everyone expects to start out on top. There's no learning setups or motor tuning anymore; insane amounts of track prep and brushless motors took care of that. Now it's almost boring, and the Stock Truck turnout's been suffering as a result.

If racing the Slash and the trucks that will undoubtedly follow it means I'm not allowed to try different things or spend money on faster equipment - if there's nothing for me to learn when it comes to making my truck faster because the rules state everybody has to be on the same level equipment-wise, so I can just sit by myself at my pit between rounds twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do...well what's the fun in that?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
Actually I kinda see where TwoTone is coming from. It's not so much the expensive part, but the fun part.

Right now I'm bumming about my favorite class, Stock Truck. A lot of the fun of Stock Truck was putting effort into wringing every last drop of speed you could get out of these things, and you had to get creative at times when it came to motor tuning and chassis setup. And some of the best stuff came from rumors floating around the pits, little secrets you'd share with your buddies about springs to try or motor brushes to use or a certain line to take around the track. After spending an entire night taking all of this information and applying it to your truck, and then you show up the next week and run away with the show, you've got something to be proud of. You put in the effort and went by experience, and how 'bout that, you won as a result. Sure, maybe that meant you had to buy a few hot rod parts and equipment, but that comes with racing.

Nowadays it seems like everyone expects to start out on top. There's no learning setups or motor tuning anymore; insane amounts of track prep and brushless motors took care of that. Now it's almost boring, and the Stock Truck turnout's been suffering as a result.

If racing the Slash and the trucks that will undoubtedly follow it means I'm not allowed to try different things or spend money on faster equipment - if there's nothing for me to learn when it comes to making my truck faster because the rules state everybody has to be on the same level equipment-wise, so I can just sit by myself at my pit between rounds twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do...well what's the fun in that?

All great points and I agree 100%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.