Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Factory Losi brushless buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RCHR
1/8th scale is popular because it has a noisy engine for the most part. I don't see electric 1/8th having a massive effect on the hobby.

I actually feel bad for the guys that are going to get them, then have to put up with the constant verbal abuse at the track from the nitro racers. I'm sure they will feel just as unwelcome as the 1/10 scale guys did.
It's nice that you bring it up again. It's nice of you to think that there is verbal abuse, but that's all gone now. As Ed* mentioned, it is hard to find a TANGIBLE reason for liking nitro better than these electrics after you have driven one. Most pros just want to drive it after they see what they can do. And they all get a big smile on their face.

The 1/10 hopefully don't feel unwanted in your area. That's where offroad started.

Last edited by lxmuff; 06-05-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I think it will just water down the hobby with another class..... That's just me though.
I agree with that.

It was posted that the nitro 8th scale is great class to race as there is a ton of people in that class, but when you have 2 differnt classes of the same type of cars the comp splits, less people want to race as there isn't very many people in the class, etc. Look what happend with on-road and there 100's of classes.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carbon madness
I agree with that.

It was posted that the nitro 8th scale is great class to race as there is a ton of people in that class, but when you have 2 differnt classes of the same type of cars the comp splits, less people want to race as there isn't very many people in the class, etc. Look what happend with on-road and there 100's of classes.
Who says they are going to race both? At some point people are just going to leave nitro all together. A lot of the people who race 1/10 electric are probably going to bump up to 1/8 electric as well.

To me watering down and just creating another class is like the Traxxas CORR truck that just came out. With 1/8 electric we are talking a new shift in technology and REPLACING an existing class at some point. Big difference.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is great news for 8th scale off road. It is just a matter of time before large indoor nitro races are shut down due to health reasons. Providing electric 8th scale vehicles will save the 8th scale indoor races and allow them to continue. Indoor Nitro (gas chamber) days are numbered.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MustGoFaster
This is great news for 8th scale off road. It is just a matter of time before large indoor nitro races are shut down due to health reasons. Providing electric 8th scale vehicles will save the 8th scale indoor races and allow them to continue. Indoor Nitro (gas chamber) days are numbered.
Yeah, it is only a matter of time before the environmentalist get a law passed. It is already illegal to smoke indoors in most places. I am sure being in a poorly vented warehouse with nitro fumes is worse than being a a smoky bar.

At our indoor nitro track the fumes can be unbearable sometimes. Has lung cancer and eye problems written all over it.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Who says they are going to race both? At some point people are just going to leave nitro all together. A lot of the people who race 1/10 electric are probably going to bump up to 1/8 electric as well.

To me watering down and just creating another class is like the Traxxas CORR truck that just came out. With 1/8 electric we are talking a new shift in technology and REPLACING an existing class at some point. Big difference.
I hate to break it to you but 1/8th scale nitro cars or nitro engines for that matter aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

engines are what some people relate to as cool in the gearhead world. Nitro cars attract alotta attention.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I can tell you as an electric guy who tried 1/8th nitro for a while and sold it all...that it was a lot of fun. Well...except for the motors, clutches, having to convince someone to go racing with you, losing a race (or motor) because someone doesn't close the lid all the way...and pissing money. Oh...and all the stupid batteries...you think electric has battery issues?

The noise and smell suck as well. I go racing to hang out with my friends and have fun...I hate having to yell all the time and come home with a headache

Driving them is a blast...if it wasn't for all the drama. I'd do it for sure if there were some reasonably priced options out there. I have a couple friends who were HEAVY into 1/8th gas...and they hardly ever go anymore because of all the drama.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Like TurboJoe I too loved to race the 1/8 scales. They handle great, rarely break, and the size is kick ass.

I'm all for electric 1/8 scale. It will allow more people to run these great cars in places never before. I've been to a few indoor 1/8 scale tracks and everyone is in a daze most of the time due to the fumes. But imagine the same speed, runtime, and fun without the smoke?!?

They will be two different classes. I don't think they will run together for much longer, it's just not fair. The electrics have ungodly torque and simply can out run most nitro's.

The environementalists won't be knocking on your door's anytime soon for your little .21's and gallons of fuel. We simply do not effect enough(yet) people to be targeted for the emissions, the noise maybe another issue.

1/10 will be solid due to size constraints. There just too many popular already established 1/10 tracks around for them to die off. Besides the popularity of the scale for decades will keep it going.

I think it's great to see a dedicated chassis to the design. I personally think it will be a new class for new technology to flourish!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SQC049
Damn dude, you need to chill out. It is something new because it is a large company producing the car to be electric out of the box. I'm sure it will be designed as such. To say that it will not have any effect on 1/10 scale is pretty naive.

Losi is the first company to step up and develop an electric eight scale from the factory. This will bring in people that have stayed away from the larger scales because they don't want to run nitro.

If you are going to come across like a condescending prick, at least have a decent argument to back it up. Son.
And? Its not a NEW car, that is my argument, unless slapping BL tech in a nitro platform is considered new.

Stop getting butt hurt because I fail to see how an 8 with BL stuff in it is all of the sudden a NEW CAR.

I guess the Speed T is a brand new car too right? Wait so is Drift-R because they took the XXX-S and added slick tires to it.

I never once said what they are doing is bad, but it isnt a new car. Chill out.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lxmuff
It's nice that you bring it up again. It's nice of you to think that their is verbal abuse, but that's all gone now. As Ed* mentioned, it is hard to find a TANGEBLE reason for liking nitro better these electrics after you have driven one. Most pros just want to drive it after they see what they can do. And they all get a big smile on their face.

The 1/10 hopefully don't feel unwanted in your area. That's where offroad started.
Being that Mark owns and operates a track I think he has a pretty good idea of what the locals say. Most of the time you show up with an electric you will be called a flashlight and kinda laughed at.

As for me I guess I will be one of the ones he feels sorry for since I will run an electric 8th scale and have before. To me 8th scales are awesome and very durable, the only downside is they come with those crappy engines. Take out the .21 and gas tank, slap in a neu and lipo and you have the best of both worlds.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

1/8th electric will definitely be the future of off-road racing, but I also don't see 1/8th nitro going anywhere either. The 1/8th buggy and truggy class has exploded the last two years. It has killed off the 1/10th gas truck class and the Monster Truck class is just about dead too (It will always be the number one selling product to bashers though).

The 1/8th electric class will just expand the current 1/8th class. You will see 1/8th electric buggy, 1/8th electric truggy, 1/8th nitro buggy and 1/8th nitro truggy as being the 4 classes run at just about every large offroad track. There are enough folks interested to fill all four classes for a long time. They both have their pluses and minuses. With electric you don't have the noise, fumes or tuning issues. You also don't need a pit man and other family members are likely to hang around or go with you to the track or even get involved. My wife hates the smell and fumes of nitro, but she'll gladly go to an electric race. The long term costs are cheaper for a 1/8th electric as well (initial build costs are nearly identical for a typical "race" build). The sheer speed and acceleration possibilities with 1/8th electric will also entice many or even sway over a few nitro guys. With 1/8th nitro you have the sound (for those who love to hear the motors scream), the technical challenges of tuning and pit strategy (pitting in electric is really pointless and not practical), plus the ability to run continuously tank after tank of fuel (this has been always one of the number one reasons guys like nitro). I have driven and raced both and they can both be a total blast to run as well as a major headache....LOL

The biggest impact I think you will see though is the evolution of the off-road tracks heading more towards the "LARGER" 1/8th size with huge jumps and sections. The smaller 1/10th cars or standard MT's are just not capable of running on these size and style tracks without having durability issues. Personally I can't wait to see some true MX style HUGE purpose built 1/8th tracks..

As for 1/10th electric I don't think that is going anywhere either. As said above there are a large number of well established 1/10th indoor tracks that just don't have the room for 1/8th electric. There is also the lower cost factor. Even with the poor economy and collapsing real estate market, real estate still aint cheap and it'll take a LOT of space to build these 1/8th style tracks. So I wouldn't worry too much if you run 1/10th electric.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

$50 +++ per gallon Nitro might make the choice for the Nitro Racers with the upcoming Nitro Methane shortage that they may not be able to get nitro at all!!!

I race both but prefer Electric because it is simplier and cleaner with alot less work to keep it running!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

They talk some trash at Revelations as well...but they always watch when there's an electric car out there. I do know all the nitro guys are freaking out about how fast some of the new electric 1/8th cars are.

They talk smack like anyone...but as per usual, the bullies and the loudmouths are sometimes the guys with the inadequacy. The bottom line is that a 1/10 4wd mod car is faster. They accelerate harder and corner better...1/8th scale cars are heavier, stronger and more forgiving to drive. If I could get a reliable 1/8th scale electric(so it won't be a Losi...LOL), I would.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCHR
1/8th scale is popular because it has a noisy engine for the most part. I don't see electric 1/8th having a massive effect on the hobby.

I actually feel bad for the guys that are going to get them, then have to put up with the constant verbal abuse at the track from the nitro racers. I'm sure they will feel just as unwelcome as the 1/10 scale guys did.
lol, and then the brushless guys fly past the nitros
Old 06-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I hate to break it to you but 1/8th scale nitro cars or nitro engines for that matter aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

engines are what some people relate to as cool in the gearhead world. Nitro cars attract alotta attention.
in CA that may not be true, air quality is a big issue in many urban areas, and there is very serious discussion of banning all 2 cycle motors (even weedwacker/lawnmower/leafblower)

attracting a lot of attention is not always a good thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.