Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

HPI E-Firestorm Racing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by slowsrc
I would run heavier oil...10-15k seems to be the sweet spot for me on sticky clay.
What would your interpretation of Sticky Clay be? I'm talking ice rink kind of conditions we've been driving in.

you can use a SC10 ball diff if you wish to go that route, pretty much a drop in fit that only requires a few shims
I think most of the time the geared diff will be just fine, besides ball diffs are too fiddly getting them just right without working loose in my experience.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stadium
What would your interpretation of Sticky Clay be? I'm talking ice rink kind of conditions we've been driving in.

I think most of the time the geared diff will be just fine, besides ball diffs are too fiddly getting them just right without working loose in my experience.
Well I have never raced on ice haha but sticky clay as in Dirt Web tires with sauce.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Well I have never raced on ice haha but sticky clay as in Dirt Web tires with sauce.
Well it wasn't quite ice but almost as slippy, so far I've found Schumacher Vee 2's in yellow to be best for the rear, although I might try Silver Mini Spikes before the end of the winter series
Old 07-29-2016, 10:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ravaging_savage
Hey guys. I wanted to post up my blitz buggy conversion. I know this is the Firestorm thread but I dont race just bash and my blitz is more in line with the firestorm now.

Anyway. The conversion can be changed back in about 30min. It was all done using hpi parts all but two are from a blitz. Th body is a Jconcepts rc8 hi flow illuzion body, proline high down force wing, Firestorm rims and proline dirt hawgs in the rear and stock blitz rims and tires in the front.

It drives so much better, the big sct body really isnt the best for bashing, always in the way. Plus it looks better. kinda like a off road F1 car.

What do you think?

Next to my other Blitz

Looks awesome! Can we get pics of the body off? Also, what size wheels are you using?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Nobody is racing the firestorm anymore..??
Old 03-14-2019, 04:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by themountain
Nobody is racing the firestorm anymore..??
It’s becoming a forgotten vehicle. Never knew they were actually raced. It’s one of those that’s always been on my list. But when Hpi fell apart. I passed on the few I saw. Just did not trust Hpi anymore.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Thread back from the dead. I’ve been wanting to get one of these again, but with the recent HPI failure (yet again) I am afraid that parts will be non-existent. Any words of encouragement?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Words of encouragement.. well I am still racing mine after nearly 10years. Here is mine. Actually won our last club race with it. When I don't win i am usually second and that's because the fast guy at our track has his kyosho rt5 dialed, we usually finish very close to one another. Parts haven't really been an issue for me. Blitz parts interchange and I honestly very rarely break anything. I strictly race though. Get most of my my parts through Amain hobbies. Setup was a bit of a challenge. We run outdoors, loose and loamy dirt. Some weight in the front really helps. I run all hpi stuff. If money wasn't an option and tekno made the kits I race, I would switch brands. At least that's how I feel this week.

TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dnsducks
Words of encouragement.. well I am still racing mine after nearly 10years. Here is mine. Actually won our last club race with it. When I don't win i am usually second and that's because the fast guy at our track has his kyosho rt5 dialed, we usually finish very close to one another. Parts haven't really been an issue for me. Blitz parts interchange and I honestly very rarely break anything. I strictly race though. Get most of my my parts through Amain hobbies. Setup was a bit of a challenge. We run outdoors, loose and loamy dirt. Some weight in the front really helps. I run all hpi stuff. If money wasn't an option and tekno made the kits I race, I would switch brands. At least that's how I feel this week.
That definitely makes me feel better. I have my eyeballs on this one and the Bullet ST Flux since it is 4wd. I may end up getting both. I love HPI, despite the challenges and troubles with the company.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Firestorm 10T speed and power

Sorry to dig up a super old thread, and I really didn't want to read 900 posts to get my question answered, but here goes. I had a new in box e-Firestorm (brushed, not the Flux) land in my lap. The one with the 15T motor in it. The box says 38+ MPH. For real? I stuck a 2s LiPo in it, set the ESC to LiPo, and ran it. I'm a noob to electric RC and I didn't GPS or radar it or anything, but it sure seems like there was no way the thing would do 38mph. Doesn't pop wheelies either. Can anyone chime in on the speed and power expectations of the original e-Firestorm? I just put a Hobbywing XR10 stock spec combo in it (13.5T) but haven't run it yet...if it's still slow then I guess there must be something wrong with the truck, but it was literally new in the box.

**Edit** okay I'm an idiot, I also have a NIB Firestorm Nitro, and that's the box that says 38+ mph. But, it still doesn't change my question, because the 15T electric motor in the electric version sure doesn't seem very fast.

Last edited by JGSpeed; 01-25-2023 at 12:29 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 01-25-2023, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

My question may be moot, I calibrated the ESC on the new Hobbywing setup and took it outside and ran it. It's a rocket now, wheelies at speed if I'm not careful and is quite fast in a straight line and I haven't changed any gearing yet. I can't even imagine driving one of these with a mod setup, not sure how you'd put that power to the ground. Anyways, out of the box the brushed version was a toy, suitable for a young child in my opinion. Now it's actually an exciting truck to drive.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:27 AM
Tech Rookie

picked up a new eFirestorm roller for cheap and been slowly building it up