Search

servos... blew 2 in one running

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Default servos... blew 2 in one running

well i seem to have lost both of them

Steering:
the steering one went first. it now makes this clicking noise when ever it turns the wheels under any stress. and in grass (just mowed lower so we could race on it) it can barely turn the wheels. dont know the cause. the gear looks ok so idk what the problem is.

throttle:
due (probably) to the fact that we made a skid pad in my driveway (it is smooth and becomes VERY slick when wet) i think I lost it due to the water not positive though. trying to finish off the last 1/4 tank before we put it away and done...no control. it reved up really fast slid around slowed reved again into the tall non mowed grass. due to the onroad tires that were on it at that time it stopped and the tires jsut kept spinning. picked it up threw the remote (not literally but close) to my friend and told him to hit the brakes while I picked it up he said he was nothing happened so I cut off the fuel supply. well zip zero notta single twitch out of the servo. so my guess is that that one is gone too.

SO ...

what is a good (cheap I dont have much money) servo that would work for the steering? once my friend gets his RC car we will be doing so fairly heavy bashing so it has to be able to with stand the torture of off roading.

also, what is a good cheap servo for throttle? no I dont have a controller that will do ABS and all that crap so a basic servo is fine but again it has to be able to stand the off road bouncing.

i dont want to get left behind so please help
Old 08-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Are you using a receiver pack or throw away AA's??? Battery might be dead.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

regular AA but the steering servo still works so they aren't totally dead.

and the servos are the same and currently neither are under load. so the should both work.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

upon redoing and switching some of the wires it looks like the throttle connection on the reciver failed. because when the throttle servo was plugged into the steering one it worked.

and the steering one doesn't work in the throttle spot so it has to be the reciever.

I dont know if this is better or worse but I still need help.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

You might want to consider a 1100mah receiver pack and overnight wall charger. You can get them at any hobbyshop and for a total investment of about or around $55 would be cheaper then buying alkalines. Plus you'll get much longer use from the pack over the alkalines.

I would make sure you have good power first and then rule out 1 thing at a time. A short or low battery voltage will give the same simptom as you discribe.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

i will look into the batteries.

well I opened up the reciever last night and took a look and sure enough there was plenty of water in it. so i let it dry out nad this morning the throttle connection worked again. (would a fail safe have stopped the throttle servo from going crazy and then been able to control so the brakes were applied??)

so now I just need a new steering servo. it clicks majorly under any pressure that is applied to it. almost like it lost its turning force. what would be a good servo to replace this?