Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie-Suspension Setup Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Newbie-Suspension Setup Questions

I have a Losi XXX BK2. I have been racing for a couple of months, but I can't seem to get it to "settle down" in the rough straightaways. It feels "bouncy" or "springy"...I am used to racing motorcycles and it seems like the suspension is amplifying the bumps instead of soaking them up!! Any suggestions would be helpful!! OH, by the way, 27.5 oil front and rear, orange and red springs with red pistons.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Wink springs

hmmm sounds like it needs a rebuild ,might not have enough fluids in the shocks ,try that or go to a heavier shock fluid 35 wt front and rear ,you can also check out losi site for more set-up help,hope this will help you get better results with your buggy
Old 05-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks...I have rebuilt my shocks recently...but I had been thinking about going up in shock oil weight. It does go against what everyone else seems to be using, but I watch theirs go down the straightaways and only dream I can get mine to handle like that. Yesterday it was bouncing so bad, at one point it bounced and turned about 45 degrees and I almost went off the track!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

What about your tires? Are they running true and reasonably balanced? Maybe one of the guys who are zipping down the straight smoothly would let you try a set for a few hot laps in practice to be sure. Do your shocks travel smoothly all the way? They need to be bled correctly, perhaps ask one of your fast guys to check them.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

27.5 wt is awfully light shock oil, what piston are you using with that? If you are using the orange or blue ones, you are going way too light with your damping. You can try the black pistons. See what pistons the other guys are using.

But if you are using the orange or blue pistons, I'd stick with that for the rear shocks and go with red pistons for the front, and just go with heavier shock oil. Try going 30 wt front and see if that helps with the same 27.5 wt in the rear. If it does, but not enough, then try 32.5 or 35 front, and change out your rear oil to 30 wt.

Also, make sure your ride height is arms level front and bones level rear. If your ride height is too high, that can cause bouncing too and is a fundamental problem in most poorly setup buggies. Too low of ride height can cause chassis slapping and bouncing too.

Make sure you are running 0 toe up front, or even just a small amount of toe in, that will make your buggy so much easier to control. Make sure your camber isn't too excessive either, keep it between -1 and -2 deg front and rear. Too much rear camber and it will make your buggy seem real loose in the straights.

I hope I have helped
Old 05-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Go to www.teamlosi.com and download a copy of Jesse Robbers' Bk2 setup. It works well with red piston/27.5 but the orange #55 pistons and 35wt oil works a little better. I think that setup will get you what you're looking for.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

What exactly is your car doing? Is it nose diving into bumps and flipping over? or is the rear end hitting the bumps so hard it is difficult to control.
This type of problem is usually more controlled by the amount of pack and not the viscosity of oil. try going more pack (smaller hole piston) and lighter oil to compensate. Usually this compensation number is around 5-7.5. So if you are going from 56 pistons (red) with 27.5 oil to 57 pistons (black), I would recommend 22.5 or 20 oil.
If your car feels "springy" maybe try going to a softer spring too.
Also, longer camber links keep the car flatter and pick through bumps/ruts better. Along with more camber (steeper angle) this can also help.
Bump-in also makes the car easier to control.

try these things one at a time. I would recommend these changes in the order I posted. good luck!