Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba max vs. sidewinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by camshaft
I personally have seen many lrps cog and go up in smoke in the last few months, but have never seen a cc do that. I have also seen the novak thermal many times. I perosnally feel the lrp and novak systems are better off of the line than the sensorless systems, but that is just off of the line and it is not a huge difference. I like them both, but the sidewinder is a great deal and is very competitive. Dave Alberico punished over 40 drivers in January with his, and there were many full ride drivers he was driving against.

cam
No way .... Dave alberico !!!!! get out .... Not him..... he was there ???

YOU RACE WITH FULL RIDE DRIVERS ??? wow impressive....

anyway you must race with dumb people cause we don't see much issues over here in NY where we race.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
what is everyone using for gearing on a T4 with a 5700 setup?
in my t4 with mamba max 5700 system i use 16/87. i was using a 17/87 and the motor temps were right around 190-200. the truck is crazy fast with either setup!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE

anyway you must race with dumb people cause we don't see much issues over here in NY where we race.
I always found NY to have the best drivers and guys that know more than anyone in the country.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Replies like that don't make you sound smarter or better than anyone else. Just seems like another example of an arrogant east coaster who doesn't know what's west of Philadelphia.

Yes... there are some really good drivers at some of the midwest races believe it or not. And yes.. some full ride sponsored guys too.

I suppose all AE drivers are stupid? It's somehow their fault they have had a motor cog and take out the speedo with it? Call AE and ask them about it. It's not a geographical problem.

And the guys who have run Novak speedos for 20 years... and have had a GTB smoke on the first run? Yeah... never heard that happen before... so why did Novak have to make a fix for this?

I run several brands... I'm not biased. I like my LRP. I like my SP GT. I like my Mamba. I ran a GTB at a big race this winter (borrowed) and it ran awesome too. Honestly... if you can't get any of these to work, something is wrong.

But this is a Mamba/Sidewinder thread. Sorry.. I had to say something in reply to an idiotic post making fun of guys I race with and respect.

The point is, results like D.A. had in StLouis show the Castle stuff obviously can compete with the mighty orange and blue. If it sucked like the haters say, the guy could not have TQ and won a race like that with plenty of other good drivers.

It just kills the team orange guys
Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey RB Five, sorry you feel the way you do. Too bad you cant say anything in a professional manner though. I like all the systems out there. They all have thier good points and bad points. Lets just keep this thread on topic, ok?

cam
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

fine... back on topic lol
Old 05-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've tried the Max and Sidewinder on the same 5700kV, and honestly I can't tell a difference. One thing that I do notice, however, is that the Sidewinder seems to not like being mated to a 3 cell LiPo very much. I noticed it ran hotter and tends to cog a bit on 3 cell LiPos compared to the Max.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thai3g_Eclipse
I've tried the Max and Sidewinder on the same 5700kV, and honestly I can't tell a difference. One thing that I do notice, however, is that the Sidewinder seems to not like being mated to a 3 cell LiPo very much. I noticed it ran hotter and tends to cog a bit on 3 cell LiPos compared to the Max.
Must be pushing the limits with the 5700 on 3s. I'm not sure how it's supposed to act @ overcurrent situations, but that may be what you are getting?

Good to hear that the MM and SW feel/run the same. I don't have a SW and I have wondered about that.

Anyone here run a SW/MM with a Speedpassion motor? I have heard they work very well with an Orion, but maybe not quite as good with a SP... but it doesn't make sense. Both motors are similar design, made in the same factory.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thai3g_Eclipse
I think that's probably accurate, the 4600 the only motor that's supposed to be used with the sidewinder on 3S

so using the 5700 on 3s you are exceeding the ratings on the ESC, and of course the performance wasn't quite as good
Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Like most everyone on this thread I have a MM and Sidewinder. You can't tell the difference between the two if you are running a 2s lipo and 4600kV or 5700kV. Just wish you didn't have to buy the castlelink to program the Sidewinder but the price makes up for that. I guess it's a good thing I bought one for my Mamba 25s

Did I mention those CC escs are really tough. I had a MM in my RC10T (thats right, aluminum tub and all) and I actually ran it while it was dangling outside of my chassis!! I dragged it along for several laps. I didnt have my glasses on that day so I never really noticed it until my battery died. Was using cheapo velcro. Needless to say, I did mess up some of the cap banks but it still runs!!

Just wondered if anyone has tried mounting a fan on their Sidewinder. I was thinking of getting a 5700kV motor and putting in my 4wd buggy with the Sidewinder. Currently running a 6900kV with a MM in my buggy with a fan. It gets seriously hot after about 10-15 minutes of running straight. A lot of it is poor ventilation since its in a buggy body but I am yet to thermal in an actual race.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Must be pushing the limits with the 5700 on 3s. I'm not sure how it's supposed to act @ overcurrent situations, but that may be what you are getting?

Good to hear that the MM and SW feel/run the same. I don't have a SW and I have wondered about that.

Anyone here run a SW/MM with a Speedpassion motor? I have heard they work very well with an Orion, but maybe not quite as good with a SP... but it doesn't make sense. Both motors are similar design, made in the same factory.
I ran the Orion 13.5 and it did hesitate on initial hit of the throttle. Once the car was moving it was fine. It isn't perfect but it did work. Also watched a guy run the Duo 13.5 from Trinity with his Mamba Max and it also hesitates just for a split second off the line but once going it is fine. The racer said he didn't mind because he had problems with certain brands going up in smoke and catching fire and that the minor hesitation is well worth it vs burning up his stuff with other brands.

The Speed Passion should act very similiar to the ORion and Duo motors. Now I'm not sure how much different the lower turns are like a 3.5 or something like a 7.5.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I have the sidewinder with the 5700 on a 19t pinion. That setup will just move my TC3. I can't say anything bad about castle link. If I was to get a truck, I would get the sidewinder again with the 7700 motor. I'd feel a tad safer knowing I could break someone's ankle if I hit it!

West Volusia R/C Club
www.wvrcclub.com

Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I run sidewinders in both my 2wd and 4wd. The latest software is a must. I've run brushed motors for a long time and my sidewinders are smoother during take off and and during a race. I drove a novak in a friends car to try his car and an LRP. During inital take off I honestly could not tell a difference and I liked the throttle curve better on my sidewinders.

I think this goes to show hard work and programming from castle to make a top notch system.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by David Alberico
I run sidewinders in both my 2wd and 4wd. The latest software is a must. I've run brushed motors for a long time and my sidewinders are smoother during take off and and during a race. I drove a novak in a friends car to try his car and an LRP. During inital take off I honestly could not tell a difference and I liked the throttle curve better on my sidewinders.

I think this goes to show hard work and programming from castle to make a top notch system.
I will say the newest software is super smooth. I use to run for 6 months all brushed with my MM in touring cars but when I went back to offroad I then switched to running the 4600 and 5700 motors with my MM and now my Sidewinders and must say it has been great either way. Both setups worked great for me and no lack of power...........sometimes lack of driver.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

I have to add that I've run brushed mod motors with my MM (on the old software) and it works awesome. I was surprised... it's a great brushed esc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.