R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Mamba max vs. sidewinder

I need some input on how these two compare. I would like to get the sidewinder but dont want to get a speedo with less smoothness to save a few dollars. Also what motor for a B4. Thanks in advance.
retat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Catle states it this way. The Sidewinder is sport, the Mamba Max more competition. It will depend on your use. Are you basher, occasional racer, or die hard "gotta have the best" type?

The first two could do with Sidewinder, the latter needs MM.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would get the Mamba Max. Reason, The sidewinder does not come with a USB cable. You have to buy it seperately, which puts the price only about $20 less than the Max. The Max combo comes with the cable, CD & USB port on the ESC. The cable is a must to program your ESC. Sure you can program the sidewinder without it, but what a pain in the ass.
For the B4 you'll want the 4600. Doesn't matter how big the track is, anything more than the 4600 in any 2wd buggy, or truck is overkill, trust me. I run Mambas in all my RC's. T4-4600 RB5-4600 B44-5700

Stand-by for the Castle haters to chime in with how the Mamba sucks, don't listen to them. The Mamba Max is THE most programmable ESC...period!
beast95451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88
Default 8

I agree with Beast for the most part...I run the 7700 in a t4(to keep up with 8th scale nitro, 5700 in the b4, and 3.5r(7700) in a xxx-4 mostly because I am a squid. If you decide to go with the SW I will send you everything you need to program through the computer if you pay the shipping...
Old 05-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I use the Sidewinder with the 4600 motor in my 2wd mod buggy and it is plenty fast with room to change the gearing, timing or start power to go even fast if I need to. Plenty of room to go faster.

As for smoothness they would actually be the same. The only differance I noticed is when using the drag brakes that I need 10% more on the Sidewinder to equal what I use on the Mamba Max.

The Mamba Max does come with the USB cable and Castle Link disk which is nice. The Sidewinder needs the USB cable and micro adapter. Alot of people own USB cables so that normally is not a huge deal.

They are hands down the most programmable system on the market. Bang for your dollar is hard to beat and they are very reliable overall with little to no problems.

If you don't run any ROAR races you have zero worries and actually in mod at all of are local races they let you use the Castle system anyways because track owners are not going to turn away paying customers with the economy like it is.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)

Last edited by wyd; 05-04-2008 at 04:24 PM.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
I agree with Beast for the most part...I run the 7700 in a t4(to keep up with 8th scale nitro, 5700 in the b4, and 3.5r(7700) in a xxx-4 mostly because I am a squid. If you decide to go with the SW I will send you everything you need to program through the computer if you pay the shipping...
I'm guessing you don't race. You must be talking about keeping up with the 1/8 scales in a parking lot or something, right?
If you race, I guarantee you'll get better lap times with a 4600 in your T4 & B4.
beast95451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wyd / Brian - Which one is smaller - the Max or Sidewinder?

I ask because I'm working on a 4wd buggy and its always difficult to squeeze brushless ESCs underneath the body.

I'm leaning towards the Sidewinder 5700.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default close

They are pretty much about the same size I run the Mamba max and a 5700 in my D4. But bolth speedos are real smooth I agree with WYD I just run a little more brake with the sidewinder too.
You wont be disapointed with either one.
later Jeremy
Jeremy Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post

I ask because I'm working on a 4wd buggy and its always difficult to squeeze brushless ESCs underneath the body.

Length wise they are identical but the Mamba Max is about 2mm narrower. I know the Mamba Max fits nicely in the BJ4 and B44. Both guys run the Mamba Max with the 6900 motor combo and they are wicked fast.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast95451 View Post
I'm guessing you don't race. You must be talking about keeping up with the 1/8 scales in a parking lot or something, right?
If you race, I guarantee you'll get better lap times with a 4600 in your T4 & B4.
Yeah there are no 10th scale tracks in Vegas, just one huge nitro track that I like to put around on...I generally run a stock when I race 10th scale...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post

I have a Sidewinder in my B-4, perfect fit.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I use the Sidewinder with the 4600 motor in my 2wd mod buggy and it is plenty fast with room to change the gearing, timing or start power to go even fast if I need to. Plenty of room to go faster.

As for smoothness they would actually be the same. The only differance I noticed is when using the drag brakes that I need 10% more on the Sidewinder to equal what I use on the Mamba Max.

The Mamba Max does come with the USB cable and Castle Link disk which is nice. The Sidewinder needs the USB cable and micro adapter. Alot of people own USB cables so that normally is not a huge deal.

They are hands down the most programmable system on the market. Bang for your dollar is hard to beat and they are very reliable overall with little to no problems.

If you don't run any ROAR races you have zero worries and actually in mod at all of are local races they let you use the Castle system anyways because track owners are not going to turn away paying customers with the economy like it is.
You hit on some thing there. Sure would be nice if they would leave it out on the MM. The savings might be nice?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
You hit on some thing there. Sure would be nice if they would leave it out on the MM. The savings might be nice?
It would save a little more money thats for sure.

My buddies all use the Sidewinder or MM in the B4's and the fit fine. I use the Sidewinder in my Academy GV2 and it fits length wise just fine. Width wise it just fits perfectly with no room to spare but it does fit.

I mainly run the Sidewinder now just to show the guys I race with that it works just as good as my MM do. I don't want guys to think you need to more expensive one to race with.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

what is everyone using for gearing on a T4 with a 5700 setup?
Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default track

Cain- that really depends on the track but I usually run a 18 or 19 on mine.
later Jeremy
Jeremy Blair is offline   Reply With Quote