Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Losi Desert Truck 1/10

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ended up with one of these trucks. I'm really enjoying it. I liked it stock, but since I plan to race, I've upgraded a few things. The class is a 19T class, so I installed a Komodo Dragon. Wow, much faster than the stock motor, I didn't change the gearing at all. Plus, with the 4600 pack in it, I can run for about 30 minutes! I started my practice session at 5:25, and finished a little after 6! Now I did have to run off the driver's stand to flip it back over about 10 times, so I subtracted about 5 minutes or so(prolly spent about 15-20 seconds each time but I like to be conservative with my guestaimates). It's allot of fun with good racing tires and a nice motor. I didn't have to do anything to the suspension, except ride height with the racing tires. It feels very well balanced, and I'm already pretty fast with it.

Here's the kicker. I checked my brushes and comm today, expecting to find some tarnish, maybe even rebuild after such a long run. I pulled the motor and checked... Holy Crapola! It looks practically brand new! I know that under the conditions it's operating, that the lower amp load means it'll be allot easier on the motor than the 19T touring cars we raced many moons ago... but jeez, 30 minutes and it still looks that good?!

I hope everyone enjoys theirs as much as I have mine. If you aren't happy with the stock speed, and want to spend minimal $$ to upgrade, pick up a Komodo Dragon, you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Lookin forward to electric season!

I will have a Desert Truck!

Throw in a Novak Brushless system, Airtronics 357 servo, lipo, my radio gear, and I am set!

One question:
Does it take "standard" size truck wheels/tires?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Initiate

yup, xxxt wheels bolt right on.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by 929rog
yup, xxxt wheels bolt right on.
Hell yeah!
Great to hear they do!
I am definately gettin one!

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)

I just picked up a Losi Desert Truck w/ Xcelorin Brushless setup to try it out.

Does anyone know what size lipo I can put in this? I know 2s and 3s will work work with this setup but looking for speed and good run times.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have ran a 2s 5400 checkpoint with no problems with out a lipo cutoff.
So I can't tell you how long it will run cause I didn't want to waist my battery.

Dynodan22
Old 07-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Everyone else keeps saying get a slash but i hate traxxas products. Always cost a ton to make race worthy.
I traded one of my traxxas off, then sold the other. I think I'm done with traxxas as well.
The slash no matter what it looks like it's still a rustler, the slash class is so popular at my track
I just sit and watch these type of races because they are fun to watch and stuff,
I'm just not to interested in owning one.
Plus all the fast guys are starting to get into the class, and I think people will eventually get tired of it
because the fast guys will keep winning all the time. This week they may have close to 20 trucks on the same heat.
I've always wondered if the losi desert truck could race in the slash class.
As long as you keep it box stock with the sealed endbell motor just like the slash.
This video on youtube made me think about that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ctLLOptxM

You can tell the guy driving the losi was more experinced.

Last edited by electricguy007; 07-15-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I wonder if Losi has any plans on a Pro kit version of the desert truck minus the motor, radio, servo, speedo, and with the better threaded shocks? It would be one I would want so I could throw my brushless system, servo, and receiver.. Top that off with a nice lipo and it would be good to go! Just thinking out loud...

Winter will be here quickly and need something to take to Chili.

If not, I dont know what I will do... Possibly a XXXT-CR, a FT T4, or the new Academy truck?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Are you going to use it strictly for racing or more for bashing .
If racing go with the xxxt-cr, its a heck of a car for racing. Don't get me wrong the desert is a good truck to I just prefer the xxxt-cr for racing.

Dynodan
Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Oh definately racing only, just like the styling of the Desert Truck, and since I may go to only one race this winter, maybe 2 tops... Dont really matter to get a Race only truck... Racing in this area has fallen off a ton this year, so dont really know if there is going to be an electric season at all?